What's the best way to ship K-horns

Ki Choi

Ki, Forward Air has a terminal in Seattle, so you would be able to pick them up from the terminal. They are a great deal as far as $$$, as in little $ to ship.

It is hard to describe packaging the speakers, but one friend had good luck this way.

Remove both top hats. There is a threaded stud on both sides of each tophat that mates to an "L" bracket, and uses a set of wingnuts to be secured to the base bin.

Construct two sets of 1 x 4 rectangles. Bag each tophat, then shrinkwrap each tophat. Drill a set of mounting holes for each rectangle, and using the installed tophat studs, mount each tophat on the frames. Place a sheet of thick cardboard on the top of one tophat, flip and place the second tophat on top, creating the cardboard sandwich. Remember, the drilled holes should be on the parallel inboard 1x4s. You'll see after you make the mistake!

Make some 2x4 supports and hammer, wood screw, or bolt them between the frames to give structural support. Cover all with 1/2" plywood to make a box.

Find a strong oak pallet, strap to pallet. Tophats are good to go.

Check out Paul Parrot's thread on shipping his Belles for the bass bins. A similar build will serve you well. This method kept my friend's Khorns unscratched and health for 11 days last month, with little $.

Good Luck!

Since i'm not from the usa i have no idea what or where MD is .

Had a friend of mine pickup some k horns 3 years ago from 600 miles away.

He took the bus $40.00 then rented a u-haul truck ( one way trip ) to bring his k horns home.

Round about with gas and rental was under $400.00 bucks back then. He could'nt find anyone to package and ship for less than double that.

Just a thought , good luck .

Dale, that is a pretty creative way of transporting Khorns for that kind of distance.

Maryland to Seattle would be some 2700 miles. East Coast to West Coast.

That air forward is definitely the best price on shipping. Dave has described a pretty workable way to get the horns on a pallet to ship.

Craters and Freighters will do the packing for you, and ship on common carrier, but I would think their price would be prohibitive, but would be interesting to know how much you are saving if using air forward.

Thanks guys for your inputs. Although the seller in MD is very generous, I don't think I can ask him to build the crates for me. The challenge is packing the speakers. I have been trying to contact antique furniture packer/shipper such as ShipSmart but they quoted $847 for packing and shipping the K-horns... In addition, since the 9/11, shippers like BAX and other air freight companies would not deal with an indivual unless one had prior business record. I'll let the group know what I end up doing.

Ki

Hi Ki,

Good Advice from Sheltie Dave (as usual). I had the Belles crated for paulparrot at a private crating shop. I think Maryland should have quite a few of these, what with Baltimore being an old port town. Look under "packaging" in the yellow pages on line and you'll find some craters and packagers listed in the area of the speakers. Call at least half a dozen to get a range of prices and services.

You should have the dimensions and weights of the Khorns on hand to get an estimate. You could even Email the crate shop with the photos that Paul took of the crate for the Belles to give them an idea of the type of protection you are looking for.

Hopefully you'll find a crater who understands the type of item you are trying to ship. You may be able to pay the crater to pick up the Khorns, crate them and deliver to Forward Air. Then the buyer would only have to drive to Forward Air and fill out the shipping document and pay for the shipping. That's a more reasonable effort for many folks who can't pack something like this for you.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Best regards,

triceratops

One other thing--the Forward Air bill with insurance was $192 for Portland, OR to Columbus, OH, whereas BAX Global wanted $375. I don't know if this is representative, but Forward Air still seems to be the best deal around. Plus as you know, BAX has to be arranged through a business.

Best regards,

triceratops

Update...

After many attempts to find a local packer in MD who would go pick up the K-horns, crate and deliver them to Foward Air for shipment to Seattle, I ended up going back to Ship Smart for the whole deal. Ship Smart is sending one of their subcontractors in Baltimore area on Monday to the seller's house to pick up the K-horns and plan to wood crate them for truck freight to Seattle. It will cost $890... so far. It might cost more if they can't pick up the speakers between 10 am and 2 pm... otherwise it's $150 extra.

You've got to love them K-horns...