H. H. SCOTT INTEGRATED TUBE AMP LK-72B on ebay

pilferus

What's funny is that as bad as ceramic discs are, I have heard them in amps that sound DAMN good amazingly enough. They get nothing but a horrible rap and it's what they possibly deserve. Yet they dont seem to ruin the presentation enough in many amps, namely EICOs which sound amazingly open and transparent, DESPITE the dreaded discs.

kh

This is a LK72B/299D. I have seen a few Scott kit amps with ceramic discs in them. I bet they were built buy previous EICO builder that thought they knew better then the entire industry LOL !! but it looks like they were installed after the original build to me.

While the HF81 sounds reasonably good with ceramic discs its sound much better with other options in my opinion. They used them for one reason and one reason only .............Cheap.

Craig

Well, I have only been comparing the two since 4pm today. A;lthough I know the EICO like the back of my hand I have only heard a Scott 222C in recent memory so I want to give the 299B some time to settle in a bit. And I want to do some tube rolling in the front end as well. This Scott has the Russian coupling caps that were put in a several weeks ago.

Right now, the Scott is in my office system with 90dB monitors on sand/shot filled spiked stands. I plan on listening some more and possibly rolling some different 12AX7 with a move to the main room in place of the Moondogs.

Been listenng to all sorts of stuff including a copy of Duke Pearson's Wahoo sent by Boomac yesterday, this the Japanesse CD (not the LP sleeve version). More on this later as well.

kh

Did you ever post your thoughts on the 222-C Kelly. If so, I missed 'em. Just wondering.

Buy a pair of the cheap JJ ECC83s and a pair of Telefunken 12AX7's. Sure would like to hear your thoughts on that comparison, using the Cornwalls.

Have fun.

Keith

I have a handful of JJ ECC83S sitting here for this Fender Champ/Princeton type amp I am using at the moment. I have listened to the JJ 12AX7 many a time and even via one of the best audition methods, headphones and tube amp (HD-600 & ASL OTL Headphone amp). The JJ arent bad for what they are but for audio I just dont get into them. In fact, I hardly like any of the new minipin tubes over the NOS variants. In fact, I dont use them in anyting currently even though I have then around. I do have Telefunken and currently use them in my phono stage. I actually like other tubes better depending actually. Telefunkey 12AX7 is one of those tubes that everyone has gotten used to liking. I think others are smoother and more musical. Still I like it. IT does well in certain positions.

kh

To my ears with my equipment the Tele's sound more 'SS' while the JJ's sound more 'tubey', if that makes any sense. The Tele's offer detail without being overly analytical, whereas a pair of old RCA blackplates I tried sound dark, lacking detail. Much like Mullards, to my ears.

I have heard differences in preamp tubes more easily when using different inverters. It seems that using old orange label Sylvania 6U8's tends to allow me to more easily hear sound differences in different preamp tubes, whereas when using Tele ECF82's I tend to not like any preamp tubes that I have tried. So I threw out the Tele ECF82's.

I've got to try a pair of those EI gold pins Bob. Look closely at the plate structure of the 12AX7's you see on E-Bay. Many are Mullards that are branded otherwise.

I hate tube rolling.2.gif

Keith

Thanks, Dean. I still have all your pictures on my HD too. I was using them to compare with this unit. I'll talke a bit more when I hear a bit more.

Keith, in a way, I totally agree with you. I think sometimes Telefunken's can sounds too harsh..a bit too much of a good thing turning ye ole good thing to ye olde bad thing. I have sometimes felt the Tele is the single most overrated tube there is....other times, I have loved it in certain spots and uses It can be good in my Cary phono stage depending. I have also liked them in the EICO ands in stages of some tube amps. I also agree in that the JJ as a whole sounds very meaty...the whole line is more meaty and tubey than antiseptic. But I have also loved some Mullards. It all depends on teh tube. I like Some dutch 12AU7...

So far, the only modern tubes I dont mind seem to be the Sovtek 2A3 and some EL-34 and KT-88 options. The JJ EL-84 are sure Ok..very meaty. But they lack the refinement of the better NOS. Actually, taht is one of the main distinctions. The modern tubes almost to a T, lack the refinement of the better vintage NOS. But at least many are getting better.

kh

I will surely fill you in on the details. Dont I always?

As for the tone controls, I dont ever use them but this swine Scott has no indicators on some and it was a bastard trying to find flat by ear. I ended up feeling the screw on the bottom and using that is an indicator opposite. I dont know what you are seeing but that setup is supposed to be flat. You see one of the indicators wildly over? IF it is, it's just aligned that way and not really there.

kh

----------------

On 1/28/2004 2:39:57 AM mobile homeless wrote:

I will surely fill you in on the details. Dont I always?

As for the tone controls, I dont ever use them but this swine Scott has no indicators on some and it was a bastard trying to find flat by ear. I ended up feeling the screw on the bottom and using that is an indicator opposite. I dont know what you are seeing but that setup is supposed to be flat. You see one of the indicators wildly over? IF it is, it's just aligned that way and not really there.

kh
----------------

That is because those are not the right knobs for the amp !! The 299B never came with that type of knob. But there should still be a small indentation in the brass ring to locate dead center. Also it should be checked to be accurate by testing the extreme movement left to right. When I rebuild a Scott I check the tone controls for flat on the scope and adjust accordingly amazingly enough there always pretty darn close.

What Raussian Capacitors are in this amp ? I sure hope they are not the Paper and tin jobs ?

Craig