Heresy vs. RF-7

bonedoc

I have had my Heresy's for twenty years now and they still amaze. Howerver, everyone gets the upgrade bug. Are the RF-7's really worth the upgrade. I realize the Heresy's lack in bass but I have that now covered with a Klipsch RW-12 which integrates with them seamlessly. What are your all's thoughts. Thanks in advance.

The reference sound is rather different from the Heritage sound as others have said here. It might be a more logical pathway to look at larger heritage speakers rather than the Reference range, first at least.

LA Scalas, Belles and of course the Khorn are all still in manufacture is you are interested in buying new. If you want used there is a whole world of Heritage out there aside from the above models - Cornwalls, Chorus, forte etc. etc.

Try a little upgrade on your Heresys. Rewire the drivers with some good Mohster type wire, rope caulk or Dyna mat the horns and woofer basket and try some high quality caps in the crossover. All this will cost less than $100. Then use your savings to buy a better amp and/or SACD.

Rick

the heresy is a great speakers, so is the rf7, i own both, plus i own forte's. the forte is a HII with bass. i prefer heritage to RF series stuff. but i must say the rf-7's are very sweet indeed! if your low on upgrade money do yourself a favor and stay used hereitage. you won't miss the rf-7's but you may always wonder.

I recently had a chance to audition a pair of RF-7's. They had good bass and lots of treble, but didn't have that almost magical midrange that my Heresy's have. With a good sub, the Heresy's sound amazing!

I also had a chance to listen to a pair of 1987 Klipschorns. The Heresy's with subwoofers sounded closer to the K-horns then the RF-7's did. As matter of fact, I was surprised at just how much the family sound of heritage speakers sounded so alike. The K-horn sounded like a big Heresy with extended bass. Made me feel a lot better about my "lowly" Heresy's.

BTW, the many tweeks mentioned doing with Heresy's are, indeed, worth the effort. They turn a very good speaker into a great one.

Dave9.gif

bonedoc

The RF-7 can be a terrific speaker. It does require plenty of break-in, and will benefit substantially from crossover component upgrades (as long as replacement capacitors are properly conditioned, either by the cap vendor or the installer, prior to installation).

With a good crossover overhaul, the speaker is, for my listening, especially to classical music, as smooth or smoother than the older Klipsch 3-ways, and definately has a cleaner top end due to not having a midrange/tweeter crossover.

By the way many 3-ways, to which people are comparing the RF-7s, have modified crossovers.

Leo

I have 5 Heresys and a good sub. I bought my first Heresys in 1972 and added. I appreciate and can afford the bigger Heritage series speakers. But Heresys work best for me for a number of reasons. If I had to start over I might well go with RF-7s. The sound is a little different. But I like both. You will need to listen to both in your own listening environment to determine which you prefer.

The reason Klipsch makes all these different models is because everyone has their own taste.What takes me to heaven may leave you wanting and vise versa.If you get serious do an inhome audition and compare for yourself.