Need advice for first time 2channel setup

mtber101

Ok I've heard the RF-7's and I fell in love with them. Right now being in college and all i don't have room for a full blowin' HT...or money for that matter. So I'm going to go for 2channel bliss. I know I want the RF-7's and a preamp and an amp. I listen to just about everything (hiphop, rock, r&b, jazz, etc)

What setup should i go with? (preamp and amp) I would like to keep the price down...4grand or less. I have also heard that with a good amount of power...200watts the RF-7s' have a lot of bass so I'll hold off on the sub for now. But I do see an SVS in the future. thanks for your time

cheers

ben

For 4 grand you will be able to put together a beautiful system. Like RF-7s(15-1700), an SVS16-46(649) Cayan TA-30 integrated amp with cap and sub out upgrade(850), Sony SACD player(500). With money left over for cables and wires.And a good used FM tuner.

If you are going to use vinyl then you will need a separate phono stage pre-amp otherwise it's probably best to start with an integrated. Quality separates will eat up your whole budget.

Don't let the 30Watt tube amp power throw you. For most listening with the RF-7s, even loud , you will be under 3 watts where high powered solid state amps sound their worst and tubes sound their best. The rest is for headroom.

Good luck.2.gif

Rick

If you are in college and moving alot consider the RB-75.

I just heard them last month and was quite impressed.

Moving a heavy floor stander is a pain in the buttt.

Also go with an analog tuner.

Digital tuners have serious limitations and the less DACs in the 2 channel rig the better.

A used Kenwwod, Sansui or Yamaha from the 70s can be had for less than $ 150 on E Bay. See www.fmtunerinfo.com

Amps...

A long discussion in personal taste. I own 8 different kinds right now.

Holy underwear, Batman!

Your'e in college and have 4 grand to drop on a stereo rig!??

I lugged around KHORNS when I was in college! sold 'em when I needed money AFTER GRADUATING! ...took me another 20 years before I got another set.

4000 bucks to spend, eh? Here's my recommendations:

1) always a good call- get separates ; preamp and amp

2) buy McIntosh pre and amp of your choice - used is great

3) check out Meridian CD players, they are build like the proverbial BRICK ***T-house and sound EXQUISITE

4) get SILVER INTERCONNECTS to lash it up ; use XLR whenever possible but RCA silvers are better than any non-silvers

That ought to about eat the $4k.

DM9.gif

You want portable or stellar?

For portable, I would run with the following:

Apt Holman 100 wpc amp and preamp, used $300

Heresys, used $400

Rega Planet CD Player, used $350

Picka tuner, used $150

*For tubes, substitute Scott 299C or D $500

This system would stay with you for the rest of your life, and eventually turn into your second system or go off to college with your kids.

Total cost- $1200 to $1400 plus some shipping.

For stellar, substitute the Khorns for the Heresys for another $1100. I DJ'ed in college, and hauled La Scalas around for four years, keeping them in our dorm room. You can get quality, save money so you have some when you really need it, and learn how to compromise and manage a situation at the same time. It's a real nasty time figuring out how to jockey huge speakers around, but you will never need to buy another set for the rest of your life.

The big thing is to save some of your stash should you choose to upgrade, and buy good used.

For what it's worth...

If you're not concerned about portability, then I'd say go for the efficient RF-7s or any of the Heritage Series (used prices are more attractive/affordable). Don't skimp on your loudspeaker selection if size and weight aren't an issue for you (and a subwoofer isn't necessary, but can be added later if you think you need the extra bottom octave).

All the vacuum tube selections thus far are excellent choices, either new or vintage, integrated or seperate amp/preamp combos. I don't know how loud you usually listen to your music (I assume in the dorms not too loud); regardless, you don't need a megawatt high-dollar amp. I chose a new BEZ Model T3B 300B Class A SET stereo amp (8 WPC) at $550 and its companion BEZ Model Q4B 6SN7 linestage preamp (CD-Tape-Aux) for $245 (see eBay user ID: "zagger1" for Edmund Lam's other high-quality handbuilt amps and preamps...no website). For the money you'd be getting a first-rate set of tube components that some here on this forum have also bought and used in their Klipsch systems (my amp should arrive sometime next week; when it does I'll do an indepth review). Frankly, you can't go wrong with any of the options listed here on this thread...Good luck!

I'm running RF-7's on a Cayin TA-30 in a dorm room right now, and although it sounds great, it's waaaaay too much for the room. All imaging, soundstage, and depth is blown to hell in a room half the size of most people's bedrooms. I can't wait to get into our apartment next year so I can space these things out like they're supposed to be and see what they can really do.

Since I'm a senior, I bought this stuff with my future in mind, not with the dorm in mind. So, unless you're a freshman or sophomore, buy something that will stay with you in the future. Even though my system right now is totally inappropriate for my current situation, I bought all of it with next year in mind (or May, now). So, when we move into our apartment in May, we'll already be set up with a wonderful 2-channel and pretty good HT setup (although we may want to buy a receiver and surrounds eventually for HT).

So, my point is, as a college student, I know we can sometimes be concerned with what's "cool" and what not. But, buy for the future.

With $4000, you can virtually have your pick of most great components (within reason - $30,000 systems are another world at this point in our lives).

I'd recommend RF-7's for sure - they're big, but they're not as annoying or burdensome as you'd think. Just make sure you bring a dolly with you on move in/out day :) For an amp, I'd either go with a Cayin TA-30, a Scott, or MacIntosh separate components. I own the TA-30 and really recommend it, and the other two get great praise around here.

Also, unless you spend a lot of money, I'd stay away from anything solid state. I used to have a 100watt Onkyo receiver, and the 35watt Cayin tube amp absolutely blows it away on the RF-7's. For a CD player, I can recommend the Cambridge Audio Azur 540C - $315 shipped. It's still breaking in, but so far it's a great unit, and the sound will only get better.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions about nice equipment in dorm rooms, don't hesitate to ask :)

-Jesse

Hey guys sorry i'm a little late on my reply. All the info has been better than great. Now I just need to do some more research.

jt1stcav let me know how you like it.

Also i'm not in a dorm. I'm in an apartment and moving heavy speakers around isn't really a problem. Just a little extra work

Can i get a little help on the McIntosh front? I'm not really sure what i'm looking for. I need to stay in the used range

Best=preamp and tube amp

Next Best=

Etc=

I would concur wholeheartedly regarding what has been said previously regarding using tube amplification with the RF 7s or any high efficiency speaker. The difference is truly like Ben and Jerry's versus freezer burned ice milk. As has been said, a Scott 299 a,b or c rebuilt by Craig is a win win way to go. You dont have to deal with separates and you get a really really great sounding amp with phono stage and all.

As far as vintage Macs go, I might be in the minority, but I would pair them with a modern tube preamp as opposed to the Mac vintage counterparts. To my ears the older preamps produce a sound that is not as dynamic and forward as you get with a modern preamp. I love the sound of my MC 225. For what ever reason the older lower powered Macs (MC225, MC30s ) have the reputation (In my mind well deserved) as the most musical tube amps that Mcintosh has ever produced. The Mc-225 is a stereo amp with 25 watts a side. More than enough oomph for the Klipsch speakers. I would look to a preamp from Cary, Mapletree, Wright sound, or Audio Electronic Supply.

Here's some links to check out.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1080258427

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1080070049

http://www.wright-sound.com/products/MoreDetail.asp?Id=3

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ultra4.htm

Josh