monarchy audio sm-70 with belles??

KungFuNat

I blabbered on about this amp awhile back in here.

There are several that love this amp with Klipsch.

Ultimately, I would go tubes but this amp makes the

"A" LIST for SS, especially for the ducats. It does

not have the harmonic richness of the best of tubes,

but it does some good things. Being a simple design

surely helps and MOSFETS sound very dimensional compared

to the bipolar world.

See my comments and pics below:

Monarchy Audio's SM-70 Review via 77 Klipsch Cornwalls

sm70.jpg

See the full wiring view

kh

So Georg, with a couple listening days under your belt, what differences do you note between the old SS and the new world of tubes? It looks like you are fairly pleased with the Scott so far. Realize that I feel, and many would agree, the Scott is a good benchmark amp as you get into your search for what best serves you.

My 299C should be here tomorrow, and I send the LK72 up to the frozen tundra and off to marry John's decorator Cornwalls. My amp cupboard is getting a little bare now.

That Monarchy is a good deal at a break around $400. Full Class A and MOSFETS really help out, just make sure ther is no equipment placed on top of this furnace. It would be a good idea to have this in the open- if it is in a rack, a fan is needed!

Wow Georg. I am very surprised to hear this. You were praising that Rotel like a God a few months ago. I am shocked that you sold it. You must REALLY like that 299C and I can't say I blame you. My 299D is awesome. I cannot wait to get my 272 and Mark III's back from NOSValves.

----------------

On 2/2/2004 11:15:47 PM Piranha wrote:

Wow Georg. I am very surprised to hear this. You were praising that Rotel like a God a few months ago. I am shocked that you sold it. You must REALLY like that 299C and I can't say I blame you. My 299D is awesome. I cannot wait to get my 272 and Mark III's back from NOSValves.

----------------

Wow, what are you going to do with all those amps??

----------------

On 2/2/2004 11:31:54 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

----------------

On 2/2/2004 11:15:47 PM Piranha wrote:

----------------

Wow, what are you going to do with all those amps??

----------------

One in the garage, one in the LR, and the duals in my den. Got tubes?

Natgun I own 1 SM 70 and 2 SM 70 Pros and all three amps are very good amps! Right now I own a pair of KLF 20's that match very good with the 70 Pros using a Luxman C300 preamp. Klipsch should be shipping a new pair of La Scalas on Feb 6 so once I get the LS I'll let you know how they sound. I think Monarchy is not making the SM 70 and replaced it with the 70 Pro. You can probably find used SM 70 on the internet.

I have not used tube amps so I cannot give a comparison. The owner of Monarchy Audio can make such good products at a low price because he is wealthy enough that he is not trying to make a huge profit but make a top quality product that anyone can afford. I am looking into a pair of paramour SE 2A3 parafeed monoblocks. I have never built a tube amp before so no expierence with this type of project. I must admit the idea of spending $600 + on a project that I don't know what I'm doing and then hooking them up to my new La Scalas is scary!

If you are ever in Austin, TX come on over and take a listen to the SM 70 Pros!

Xman

Jmon,

With KLF 20's they sound great! When I first got them they sounded very bright and the midrange was not very good but after 6 weeks of burn in they have become outstanding amps!! Also since my speakers are 99DB when a amp is in it's burn in stage the speakers make them sound very bad but now sound very good. I am waiting on a new pair of La Scalas so once I get them I'll make a post about how they match with the SM 70 Pros. I'm thinking about buying Paramour SE 2A3 parafeed monoblocks from Bottlehead products. I have never owned tube amps and the price is what I can afford. If I can build the amps and like the sound then I can upgrade to better amps next year.

Xman

Fellow board member Edster has/had used the SM-70 with his K-horns and said they did very well. He has since gone to Moondogs, which I heard, and were very good. I didn't get to hear the Monarchy amps when I was there, but Ed said they were great little amps. He also had a Scott, forget the model, in his office with Heresy's. I don't think you could go wrong with either the SM-70 (or Pro) or a Scott.

Hi Guys!

I have not posted for a long time, as work and projects have kept me busy, but I had to chime in on this post.

I currently have a pair of Monarchy SE-100 Deluxe Monoblocks in my system, as well as a pair of Dared 300b monoblocks.

I have owned the SM70's, (not Pro's), and they were GREAT with both my Cornwalls and K-Horns. They are everything MH says they are, and for the price, can't hardly be beat. I ran them in the balanced mode.

I would have to say that my SE-100's are much better than the 70's, but then again, they have been professionally modified.

Jobman