Receiver Suggestions?

tripod

----------------

On 2/14/2004 2:56:52 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 2/14/2004 2:32:48 PM Fish wrote:

and specs are not good(if you can hear specs).

----------------

Not to start an argument or anything, but I can definitely hear the difference between discrete transistor power and IC power, as easily as I can hear the difference between transistors and tubes.

Furthermore, I put that 80x6 Yamaha up against the Pioneer 812 in a straight volume test. Two speakers, with an A/B switch behind the two amps. Set them both to -20dB. The Yamaha was far, far louder and cleaner than the Pioneer at that output setting. To me, that spells
bang for the buck

----------------

Griff,I don't dispute your conclusion at all but my experience with the BB Yamaha thats about 200 bucks.I had it 2 days and could take it no longer,very thin and unpleasant sound to my ears.

Thats when I found the used HK125 which to my ears sounded way better,again only my opinion.I think it was Watt hifi that rated the 912 budget avr of 03.

First: I own Pioneer 708S. It is a high-current amp (and quite heavy too). Anyway, im using it with Onkyo HT speakers, and it provides lots of power. It is very reliable, GREAT remote.. one of the best i've used.

Now the bad side of the Pioneer - while its a great overall machine, powerful and stuff - channel separation does not sound very good to me. Sometimes it seems muddy (specially at low volumes). But otherwise its great.

Now if i was buying a receiver today in your price range - i would either get Yamaha or Onkyo.

BUT since recently, HDTV compatibilty became an issue, as all the broadcasting companies have to convert to this standard in a next couple of years, so - whatever you get - make SURE that its supports HDTV.

I believe many Onkyo models have it, while only higher end Yamaha's do. So, even though i really like Yamaha, i would probably get Onkyo.

Also, someone recomended Onkyo 500 - DO NOT BUY IT. Sorry whoever posted about it being a good model, BUT - there is a known problem with LFE channel. Many Onkyo 500 had no LFE output in DD, and there was a huge scandle about this, after which onkyo released a tech note to all of its repair centers with insutrctions on how to fix it. They WILL swap the whole main board in the receiver and that will take a while since they have to get it from Onkyo first.

I own a Pioneer vsx-812k and I find it does a very nice job for its price. The sound quality is fine for a lower end reciever. I haven't had any problems at all with it so far (since early December). The connections, decoding options, and price are what sold me on it. The remote on it is a plus too, very easy to use. I also like that it can controll other appliances as well like tv, dvd, vcrs, etc. But i guess almost all remotes can do that now.

I havent heard many of the other recievers though, but I've heard from many people that the HK's are quite nice and compliment Klipsch speakers well. I was going to get the HK avr-125 at first, but i couldnt find it as cheap as i would have liked. Hope I helped you in your decision.

----------------

On 2/15/2004 1:03:03 PM wheelman wrote:

I attempted to private message you. I don't know if it worked let me know if it did. (How's it going Fish you playing that Marshall)
1.gif

----------------

Marshall?Yep,it goes to 11 every once in a while,not as often as it should.Man if I can ever get a stereo rig that can reproduce that sound with that authority I will have made it,take care.

----------------

On 2/15/2004 9:00:22 AM Fish wrote:

Griff,I don't dispute your conclusion at all but my experience with the BB Yamaha thats about 200 bucks.I had it 2 days and could take it no longer,very thin and unpleasant sound to my ears.

Thats when I found the used HK125 which to my ears sounded way better,again only my opinion.I think it was Watt hifi that rated the 912 budget avr of 03.

----------------

Which series of Yammy are you referring to? It was the most recent model year (56x series) that Yamaha went discrete transistor with all three of the lower end HTR units (the 5x90's have always been discrete powered)

I'm not suggesting that the 5640 is the best thing available in that price range - only that I'd buy it in a millisecond over the Pioneer 812. I've not had any experience with the 912, so I can't comment there.

----------------

On 2/15/2004 10:09:53 PM Fish wrote:

----------------

On 2/15/2004 1:03:03 PM wheelman wrote:

I attempted to private message you. I don't know if it worked let me know if it did. (How's it going Fish you playing that Marshall)
1.gif

----------------

If your pm was a 67,I got it.Marshall?Yep,it goes to 11 every once in a while,not as often as it should.Man if I can ever get a stereo rig that can reproduce that sound with that authority I will have made it,take care.

----------------

I am kicking *** and taken down names later with my boogie peeling the skin off of my ears!

11.gif11.gif It's totally amazing what fifty watts of mesa 6L6 tube power can do. I had some greenbacks hooked up damn near shredded them. Actually the pm was for tripod i was just giving you a what's up dude. I got a deal for him if he reads his pm.

Ahhhhhhhh!

The sweet agony of choosing a new component.

I'm 99% sure that I'm going for the HK 125 refurb for $179 and free shipping. It's seems hard to go wrong at that price.

I also like the Pioneer 912, but not at double the price of the HK unit.

Thank you all for your suggestions, you really helped me narrow the field!

Burt or anyone else,

Have you bought anything from ecost? I'm minutes away from buying the HK 125 and just a little nervous since I haven't used them before.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 8:27:16 PM burtlively wrote:

check out the ecost.com denon & hk refurbs. i just picked up a yamaha rxv730 for $288 at tweeter.

----------------

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had the HK 125 for over a week and I love it. I still need to fine tune the speaker levels, but it sounds great as it is.

ecost is great for anyone who's considering them. Good price and quick shipping.

It's official, I have a relapse of upgraditis.

I ordered the Speaker Plugs that OP had posted about a while ago. Had to have them now that my receiver accomodates them.2.gif

I also ordered a Home Theater Master MX500 remote which should arrive Friday!

That's right, I'm going from having to stand to adjust the volume, to a top-notch universal remote.9.gif

Of course, now my remote costs more than half the price of my receiver. But I'm sure future receiver upgrades while take care of that differential.

I think I'm okay for a while, but three upgrades in 2 weeks sure was fun. Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I probably wouldn't have gone for HK otherwise and I definitely wouldn't have found ecost.

Tripod,

A little late on the post, but its a good thing you went with the H/K instead of pioneer. I still have a lower end Pioneer (VSX-D811s) and the surround left and right channels went out four days ago. It wasn't my speakers, just the reciever. Anyway it sounded fine on movies (other than not being able to set the Xover below 100hz), but music was unpleasing to listen to. It had no depth and was thin, almost like listening to a tin can. A lot of features for the price when I bought it, but very little quality in music. I'm thankful I have a reciever to hook my speakers up to, but you can definatly do better in the price range.