Bob Crites' Type A Crossover Replacement

Daddy Dee

Much to my wife's dismay,9.gif Bob Crites told me about the Klipsch Forum. And since I am so easily entertained I hang out here alot.

I'd done some business with Bob on Ebay getting K77 tweeters and diaphragms for a DIY LaScala project. A few weeks ago I purchased a Type A crossover replacement from Bob and put them in my Khorns. Man, they sound sooooo smooth. Also have gotten a pair of Type E crossover replacements for Heresy and a pair of K55 replacements that I am just about to put into a Heresy rebuild. Bob has got some of his stuff out on Ebay, but wanted to clue the forum in to an excellent source for this kind of gear. The construction is neat and solid. Sounds fabulous. Bob can articulate his philosophy better than I, but he is one of the many true appreciators of PWK's work, and he wants to build quality replacement items so that vintage Klipsch speakers will sound as good as they did new.

I know that there are a few other forum members who have done business with Bob, who might want to chime in.

His forum username is BEC. Thanks for the great crossovers.

post-11993-13819252130924_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob,

Just let me know when you are done with them. I was hoping they would be in great shape, as that would make sense based on the condition of the cabinets and components. I can't wait to fully restore these Cornwalls, with your help. Thanks for your interest and dedication regarding Klipsch speakers and their continued performance.

Chris

"Where do you guys find those "cans", and are they really PIO, or standard high voltage rated motor run types?"

Dean,

In the picture I have the 13uf that are the same as Bob's. The 2uf on the tweeter is from a Klipsch Heresey type 'E' crossover.

Actually I experimented with a 2uf Motor Run and the Klispch Cap. The both look pretty identical to me and sound identical also. My question to you is "what is a really PIO cap" vs. the Motor Run caps? I believe the motor runs also have Paper impreg with Oil.

No, all manufacturers of current motor run types use metallized polypropylene in oil. You have to go NOS to find paper. Also, I've always been a little confused by the use of motor run types as these are designed for 50-60Hz systems, and not recommended for use in systems generating frequencies higher than that. There are oil can types that can be used for AC filtering for frequencies higher than 50-60Hz, but seem to be designed more for power supplies. The caps made by manufacturers for input/output filters for DC blocking purposes always seem to be wrap and fill types. At any rate, all of these caps are very different from each other, and each has been designed for a very specific purpose in mind. Sites like http://www.faradnet.com/ are helpful here, as well as the manufacturing sites. Most audio sites aren't always that helpful. I find the DIY sites much more informative. I especially like the LDSG site. http://ldsg.snippets.org/appdx-e.php3