K-Horn Center Started Today

Q-Man

This afternoon I finally took down the University Classic center channel speaker and began to work on getting a Klipschorn up there.

After looking at the space that I left for the center K-Horn I changed my mind. The two cabinets up there are spaced the right distance apart to fit a standard false corner between them. This would make the midrange horn too high and I didn't want it upside down do to the curve of the 311 horn.

Who says that a Klipschorn has to go in a corner? Well it does and it doesn't. You can also lay it on it's side and shove it up to a wall. Hang in there now, I took a few pictures of my idea.

post-2405-13819252242488_thumb.jpg

Sorry for being in this picture, I know we don't seem to do that here, but I was holding the thing up while my son checked the top angle of the cabinet with a lazer. I was also checking the fit to the ceiling.

Weight won't be an issue, the lower false corners are framed with 2x6 and 2x8's and I tip the scales at 245.

post-2405-13819252243518_thumb.jpg

This shot should show you about where I am going to mount the 311-90 horn. The JBL tweeter will go below the 311. This is my worst looking 311, I'll be using another one here once I get further along.

That was as far as I got today. I'll keep you posted if your interested.

post-2405-13819252249402_thumb.jpg

eq,

I'll be posting a picture everytime I make some progress. I want people to see that the Klipschorn doesn't have to stand in a corner the way we are trained to think about it. In design you have to get creative and find other ways to make things work for you. You have to think outside the box. Doing things like this is what makes this hobby fun for me. Just like you did with your Cornwall, which looks nise by the way. I hope and assume that you have a screw or two in the back of those cabinets securing them to the wall.

Q-

Great pics. Talk about thinking outside the box! You are one of the reasons the Klipsch board is great. What incredible knowledge and skill you have. Keep us up to date.

I can only dream about your HT, so I'll just "get by" with my Chorus/Forte system. But this summer, I'll be finishing my basement, and using a 3rd Chorus II as the center so I'll be identical across the front. Not sure whether to have it horizontal or vertical. Much will depend on what sort of PJ I get and costs of acoustically-transparent screens.

DFM,

Yes it is and look under Odds and Mods K-Horn, 290, 311-60 horn if you want more information.

The horn in the picture is the Altec 311-90 a 300Hz horn. I'm using it with Altec 290-16K drivers and JBL 2404H tweeters. Oh yes, custom networks designed and built for this combination by another Forum member (JW). The crossover point is still at 400Hz. I wanted to go lower,but couldn't.

I changed out my other K-Horn tops and I'm now getting around to working on a center channel Klipschorn that is going above the RPTV. I used to use a LaScala for the center channel.

The extended horn idea is very interesting... looking forward to reading on how it performs. 4.gif And the horizontal placement kinda reminds me of the Klipsch heritage HT setup they once showed which featured several Khorn-Bass bins lying on their sides in the floor-wall intersection. Who ever said they have to stand in a wall-wall corner anyways?

Rob

Once again, very impressive Q-man! Of course we will be interested in seeing how it turns out. Please continue to post your pics. I've also thought about placing a Khorn on the floor where the wall meets the floor, but your concept looks very interesting!! I'll be sticking to a Belle center for a while...

Lunch break, so here are a few more pictures.

I added the right side of the cabinet and glued 3/4" by 3/4" notty pine strips to the raw plywood edges. I also glued up the wood top face that will fallow the ceiling. Then I'll route a profile in these edges and add crown molding. You will see that later.

post-2405-13819252250392_thumb.jpg