A blueprint for audio insanity ?

BackBurner

The diet coke of extreme, as DR Evil might say. Let me introduce you to the kind of thinking that makes a purpose built listening room seem about as committed to the cause as lifting your amp off the carpet and putting it on the nearest table.

First, mark out your area, say 23 x 28ft; spacious, but not excessively so. Now build the biggest sub in the world. Not out of MDF,but out of bricks and mortar.Under the floor.All of it. We're talking 2 sub horns sunk into a metre-deep "bass-ment", each with a length of 31ft and mouth area of 7sq ft, placed either side of a central compression chamber, driven by 16 18 inch bass drivers, eight per side . Add 600kg of reinforcement to the enclosure ( making a total enclosure weight of 720kg). That's the ten hertz at full power bass extention taken care of.

Surround sound ? No problem. Assemble 32 impossibly esoteric,real wood, hand made,two-way horn loadspeakers, each weighing 23.5kg, and assign eight each ( in a special stacked and coupled configuration flanked by 7ft high exponential wood panels for extra efficiency) to the four main channels. Detail another 4 to center channel duties.

Now put all the amplification - two 17 watt, zero feedback, push-pull valve amps ( bi-amped) for the main drivers, a 1.7 watt single ended tube amp for the high horns- into a hole in the ground decoupled from the rest of the room, connect everything with 1700ft of OFC cable, treat the walls in the usual way ( virtually anechoic at the back) and there you have it .!!!

Not such a listening room as a highly efficient speaker system you can actually sit inside.

A blueprint for audio insanity ???

Arggg !!!! Just had to be " open minded Dean " to respond first . 2.gif

I was waiting like a lion for it's pray !!! for the first non-believer to show up.lol ( just kidding )

A BLUEPRINT FOR AUDIO INSANITY ? " NO WAY "

This room actually exists in italy !! A joint venture between Royal devise and speaker maker Alliante. Apart from it's frightening bass extension, overall efficiency is rated at 100db for 1 watt at 1 meter !!

The system uses " no " crossovers or feedback, and claims to play at " real life " levels with no distortion on just a handfull of watts.

My audio " mentor " told me about this system and now i'm on the hunt for pictures ?3.gif