Should I? or Should I? khorns

playntheblues

Well.....I'm picking up my khorns early Sat. Morning the 21st. They are raw burch with cain grills that need cleaning (spots etc. etc.). I am going to refinish them in black and replace the grills. Sooooooooooooo the question is do I haul them upstairs to the game room, seal them in the corners and listen to them for a week or so or put them in the garage (heated) and get them ready for the stain and repair work? I could have them done by next week end and than haul them upstairs for good. Any thoughts?

So, the choice is either to put them in the garage and then haul them ONCE upstairs -- or haul them ONCE upstairs, haul them TWICE to get back down the stairs, and them haul them THRICE to get them back up the stairs. Hmmm, that's a tough one.9.gif

Hey Budman54, Your right, but my pool table is black and I have a black leather sofa in the game room so black khorns would be nice. I just got off the phone with the guy selling me the speakers (hes 60), getting directions. He said all they need is a light sanding due to the age of the wood and a light stain and they would be perfect. He told me the one inch water stain on the bottom of the right speaker is barely noticeable1.gif . I was thinking a light black stain perhaps. what do you think?

I love the color black . have you seen the black Cornwalls on ebay right now. i emailed him and he said they came from the factory that way. if i bought them i would try to get them back to raw birch. I have never seen a set of K-horns in black, but they will match your room and you are the one that is going to look ,i mean hear them . K-horns in any color you have to be proud. like a friend told me long ago, thank god everybody doesn't like the same thing.

Lowest maintenance: BLACK

Best possible resale: Stained natural

Bonus on the staining: Women like it better than GIANT BLACK THINGS sitting in the corner (if women have to live around them) ; otherwise, they will be on the dreaded "redecorating list" of things to get rid of...2.gif

I would stain if it were up to me...

DM

This might seem amateurish (sp?), but I've had real good luck with Rustoleum Satin black spray paint in the cans. It is extremely durable and leaves a very nice finish. Home Depot.

I'm almost done with a pair of Cornwall II's that I put zebrawood on, but I painted the backs, bottoms, inside front edges, and bases with this black paint and it came out beautiful.

Greg

My KHorns were unfinished Birch also, bought in the 80s. I put them into use right away and did not take care of the wood. If you have a tendency to do the same, then finish them while motivated. Otherwise, listen to them, get used to their appearance, and imagine what they will look like in black, or natural wile in your room.

BTW, Wife has been experimenting with finishes and we are looking at refinishing this year, though the veneer thing might be interesting...which would be easier and/or better?