New Denon Seperates

klpschfan

Hi guys, I hope this isn't infringing on the new forum rules above, I just wanted to share info on this stuff with anyone that is interested.

As the title states, Denon has decided to make a " Ultra High End " Pre/Pro, Amp, and DVD player line, and the "Ultra High End" may or may not describe the equipment, but definately the price. I did't see much info on the equipment itself, just a pic of the Pre/Pro and DVD player, distributing info, expected prices, and expected availability dates.

First off, the Pre/Pro, pic was had the unit in silver color, it was as large or larger than an AVR5803. Price = $10,000 ( and no I did not mis-type that ).

The DVD Player, in the pic, was also silver in color, and about the size of an AVR3803. Price = $6,000

The Amp is a 200 watt per channel, 7 channel model. There was no pic. Price = $7,000

Expected release is late fall this year. Denon will only allow retailers who do over a certain amount of custom installs per year to have access to this equipment. Also, those stores MUST have at least someone, probably custom install manager ( it didn't say specifically ) go thru a specialized Denon Training and Certification in order to carry the equipment. Just thought you guys might wana know. Anyone got $23,000????

----------------

On 2/22/2004 3:40:16 AM prodj101 wrote:

spending that much on denon would be like buying the new VW Phaeton.....who buys a Phaeton for $80,000 when you can buy a BMW 700 series or Mercedes?

----------------

I completely agree. A 745Li or S500 would be my only choices.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 9:58:35 AM Fish wrote:

I'm not buying it,I see no reason to hear it before I bash it,correct?
----------------

that seems to be the philosophy of most people on this forum...

now if the denon separates were tube based then the bashing might have been less.....

1.gif

personally.... if i were in the market for separates in that price range.... i would listen first.... but denon does have an uphill battle to overcome its mass market "image"....

i feel that most people who buy in that price range will not buy denon just because they want to own a brand that the average person can't afford....

Now after hearing from someone I know that has more insight to this, the place where I got my prices may be wrong. He said that from his understanding $10k would be the price for the whole system ( pre/pre, dvd, and amp ). So take my pricing with a grain of salt. Also these are expected MSRP prices, so likely the equipment may be lower. Will just have to wait and see.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 4:57:26 AM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

spending that much on denon would be like buying the new VW Phaeton.....who buys a Phaeton for $80,000 when you can buy a BMW 700 series or Mercedes?

----------------

----------------

How about an Audi A8? Quattro is uber!

----------------

On 2/22/2004 5:12:22 PM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

On 2/22/2004 4:57:26 AM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

How about an Audi A8? Quattro is uber!

----------------

Actually the Phaeton's are very nice cars and worthy of a look if your going to spend $80K-$100K for a luxury vehicle. You can even get them with a 12 cylinder and all-wheel drive... Something the BMW can't offer (it's I-drive system sucks anyway). A 12 cyl Merc will cost you much more than the VW and eat you out of house and home with regular maintenance costs.

The Audi's are sweet cars, but if I'm going to spend that much for one, I'll get the RS-6... which is a twin-turbo V-8 with all-wheel drive.

Yes, the RS-6 is pretty damn crazy too. Still yet, I wouldn't get the Phaeton even though it offers the W-12 engine, which is the same type that goes into the Bentley Continental GT models I believe. After all, it's not just performance in sheer numbers that makes the sale. Sure, you can't get a V12 engine in a Benz unless you go right up to the Big Dog - the CL600. By the same token, Volkswagon (like Denon) is not familiar with the higher end of the market, and thus lacks the experience that say, BMW, Mercedes, Audi/Lexicon, Krell, Aragon possess.

Furthermore, if you're solely looking for performance bang for the buck, you can't get much better than the Lancer Evolution or a WRX. For pure off the line horsepower, few things come close to a Z06 Vette, an NSX, or the awesome Skyline. But come on, for $30K wouldn't you rather have a Bimmer 3 series? $50K a BMW M5? Denon might try and compete by loading their components with uber features (kinda like Yamaha did with their new RX-Z9 to compete with the likes of Denon and Pioneer Elite and all those other THX Ultra 2 certified receivers), but that won't necessarily mean they're the hands-down choice.

I don't really even know what the heck I'm trying to say or what the correlation is between cars and seperates. I guess what I'm attempting to say is that to be fair, it's only proper and polite we wait for Denon to release their "ultra" high end products before we can really judge them -- like FISH correctly noted.

Sorry buddy but you sure ain't gettin' an M5 for $50K 9.gif. I'll take an RS6 Avant though. That thing is such a sleeper...pull up to some ricer in your station wagon and be prepared to laugh. Best thing about the Audi is you can convince your wife that you need it as a family car 11.gif.

Love the looks of the new 6 series, can't wait to see the M-version.

Denon has been makeing seperates for the japanese market for quite some time now.

they had a CD transport at one time that sold for $54,000.00 and amps as high as $15,000.00

They were technically state of the art--but are they worth the price tag?? who knows...

they certainly didn't look like DENON products though, the cd transport looked a bit like the original SEGA GENESIS with a big round middle section.