HK 630 and HK 430 FOR SALE

markgod

Received my 2 recent E-Bay purchases , a HK 630 item # 3078179292, HK 430 item # 3078735424 . Can be seen on E-Bay under these 2 item #'s . They just do not sound any better to me than what I already own,and the major drawback is that I can not run my 2 pairs of KG 4's at the same time. If anyone is interested please contact me. I am willing to sell them for what I payed for them minus the cost of what I paid to ship them to me. You will have to pay the cost to ship them to youself. I live in upstate NY zip code 13365

• 1 month later...

Check out his System Profile. He has a Cayin TA-30...no wonder the SS harman/kardon receivers aren't sonic improvements to him (not knocking the HK430 and HK630; they're both excellent vintage SS receivers, but not the same as their Citation tube cousins).

The advantage of those old H/K's is that they are easy on a budget...generally costing LESS than what many tube folks drop for a pair of tubes alone. As for comparing then to top notch tube components...you get a tuner, preamp, and amp in one unit for around 50 bucks with an H/K 430...and LOTS of headroom considering it is only rated (conservatively) at 25 wpc! Now, let's look at just ONE of the old vintage Citation H/K tube "cousins" for a price comparison. Citation II...puts out 65 wpc, generally runs 600 bucks or more, often MUCH more, for this AMPLIFIER ONLY in original condition, then you drop another 300 bucks or so for its "modernization upgrade"...and you STILL don't have a pre-amp OR tuner yet!(BUT YOU HAVE ONE HELLUVA TUBE AMPLIFIER!!) For Citation V...you are looking at initial cost for original condition of around 400 plus, then another 250 or so for modernization upgrades, and yet again you still don't have a tuner OR preamp yet! (BUT YOU HAVE ONE HELLUVA TUBE AMPLIFIER!) The advantage of the 430??? IT IS CHEAP, and a GREAT SOLID STATE match to Heritage speakers...very likely the BEST in its current used price range. It is bulletproof, and it will NEVER need any tube rolling!

So, for those with skinny wallets but who have a desire to get good performance out of Heritage speakers...at least until they can save up some big bucks, the H/K 430 is an EXTREMELY viable alternative that can be had RIGHT NOW...no waiting at all! It is better to many folks to have GOOD performance RIGHT NOW for about the price of a couple of tanks of gasoline, than it is to wait a year or two before they can save up for the big buck stuff!

AND...there are quite a few folks who have surprisingly found out that their minimal investment in one of these units has ALREADY brought them so much listening pleasure that they just can't see a real NEED to spend any more to upgrade to "audiophile-grade" components! Times are hard for lots of folks right now...and 50 bucks spent looks REAL GOOD to them compared to spending 300+ bucks! If all you have to spend on componentry is 300 bucks, then GOOD LUCK finding ANY good tube tuner/pre-amp/amp combo for THAT!!...ESPECIALLY one that is bullet-proof and ready to provide good or better performance with no additional cash outlay for a good thirty more years!

What it all boils down to is what I have been saying all along...it is almost impossible to get more bang for the buck for use with Heritage speakers than a purchase of an H/K 430, 730, or 930 can get for somebody.

It is really easy to sit back and say..."my so and so is so much better than..." when your DEEP pockets can afford to be emptied...but quite another thing when your pockets are ALREADY empty and you are looking for some good performance!!

Simply put, SOME folks can afford to drop half a grand on a pair of interconnects, whereas SOME folks only have half a grand OR LESS for an entire SYSTEM!! SO...if the person who takes his 500 bucks and grabs a pair of used Heresys and an H/K 430 instead of the interconnects is happier, then more power to him! Besides...with JUST a 500 buck pair of interconnects, you wouldn't be able to get very much listening enjoyment, would you? Think about it...and...all you forum folks who CAN AFFORD 500 buck interconnects might want to just stop for a minute and realize NOT EVERYBODY CAN AFFORD THAT...and act accordingly. I am NOT pointing any fingers here...just MAKING A POINT!2.gif

----------------

On 4/4/2004 1:43:18 PM Audioreality wrote:

Have you sold either units, yet?

I haven't been able to link to either of the auction sites to see what the selling prices were.

If you would be so kind as to let me know what you're asking for each piece, it would be appreciated.

Regards,

John----------------

You haven't seen a doctor for your vintage SS addiction yet ?? Man take your pills dude 9.gif2.gif

I've had the HK 730 now for a few months and have been running it with everything from RF-3's to KG 2.5's. Heck of alot of sound for the money!

My unit has a phono section that, IMHO, leave something to be desired. Not quite the sound that I had hoped for when used with my 2 channel system - my new Marantz Int Amp, and my Sansui 9090 were much better,

But, if you're not into vinyl, its a great opportunity to have a system that makes your Klipsch sound great for not much $$$.

One other critique of the 730, at least the one I've got, is the limited sensitivity of the FM section. When you're able to get a station tuned in, it sounds fine. But you really need a strong signal to get the station in Stereo. Don't know if anyone else has had any similar experiences, or if this is just a bugaboo with my unit.

Remember that the phono section of those old receivers was designed for MM cartridges...MC cartridges were just coming out in 1976, and hadn't overtaken MM yet in popularity...few units from that time had built-in MC capabilities in phono section...had to get outboard unit for that. There is a solution, though. You can get an outboard phono pre-amp and run it into your AUX inputs...you have two sets of those on a 730. As for your tuner problem...I am really surprised. Most folks love those tuners! Maybe you need to adjust your muting on the back or something...or maybe the tuner needs cleaning! SOunds like you have FM drift problem, though...that can be fixed if tuner brought up to original specs performance.