La Scalas are in the house

space_cowboy

WOW6.gif I am speechless, they sound and look so good. No kiddin, these cabs are damn near flawless. A big thanks to wrench_peddler for meeting me near half way and offering this deal. A true gentleman, it was a pleasure meeting another forum member.

I've been playing misc. stuff and am completley blown away. This is as good as it gets without corners. I stil can't believe how good this sound is.

Greetings,

Space

Congrats on the La Scalas!! I have been waiting on Klipsch to finish my 2004 La Scalas. Hearing your reaction is making me wish I had mine! On Friday I mailed off a money order to Paul at 2baudio for a Cayin TA 30 integrated tube amp. I have never owned any tube gear so I am looking forward to it. The upgrade bug bit me in late Nov and I have bought the La Scalas and now the Cayin TA 30, also a pair of Monarchy Audio SM 70 pros but I think I am going to sell one SM 70. I guess the next thing to get is a CD player. The question is do I go with a tube cd player or no tubes. If I go with a tube one I am thinking the Jolida JD 100a maybe the mod 1 version from Underwood hifi. I think it was Neo33 who gave the Jolida JD 100a a very good review. Does anyone else own the JD 100a?

The great thing about upgrading speakers is now you can go through your whole cd and record collection and listen to them sounding even better! Post a review once you have had a chance to listen for a while. If you are ever coming through Austin and want to stop by let me know.

Xman

Another happy Heritage owner in da house! Congrats on your La Scala purchase. I know what you mean about the upgrade bug biting you...can't wait for my new BEZ 300B SET amp to arrive. My Cornwalls are buggin' the hell outta me to hook 'em up with valve power, ya dig?10.gif

JBSL,

I remembered this topic in another forum. Here is the response from the famous mastering engineer Steve Hoffman regarding tube CD players.

"When you put on a pair of "rose colored glasses" (think vacuum tube amp), everything looks great through them. Your first tendency is to add another pair of rose colored glasses on the top of the first and another, but you eventually can't see any more.

In other words, too many tubes in your system will blind your ears to accurate sound. Leave the tubes for the preamp and amps."

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19966

Hope this helps.

Space_Cowboy... welcome to the wonderful world of those who savor the PWK Heritage. After Paul W. Klipsch patented the Klipschorn in the pre-stereo era (1948), he encountered Bell Labs notion of three-channel stereo... and built the first LaScala to fill the audio hole along the wall between his stereo Klipschorns in adjacent corners. So now you know the thrill he must have had in making a fully loaded folded horn speaker that didn't need a corner.

Of course, PWK then ran smack into another wall... the WAF wall that stopped the original LaScala from coming home from the "factory"... which began as a very small wooden shed. He fiddled and whittled away on the LaScala design until he came up with something that might meet his Wife Approval Factor... and, for good measure, named it the "Belle Klipsch" in hopes that she would accept a center speaker in her house that was named after her. It worked... and that configuration remained in Paul's living room for the remainder of his life.

Although I am a native San Franciscan and bought my first set of Klipschorn's in the mid-50's, many decades of my business life was based in Texas (including Austin). A friend of mine, Doc Hospers, had a similar WAF problem when he bought a four engine B-17 bomber and then wondered how he was going to explain it to his wife. Her nickname is "Chuckie"... so he had that painted on the nose and flew it to Meacham Field in Fort Worth, the airport closest to their home. It worked and is the center piece for the Vintage Flying Museum located on 9 acres adjacent to what is now Meacham International Airport... and where the FAA "Young Eagles" program was born and where I wrote the custom database that traced every B-17 (or part thereof) remaining in the world for the international B-17 association.

If you have been in Texas long enough to remember Tom Landry (another friend who has gone on to his reward) who coached the Dallas Cowboys for 29 years, you might find it interesting to know that Tom was a B-17 pilot in WWII. I first met Tom when he was at the Vintage Flying Museum to film a commercial using Chuckie as a prop. Hmm, that reminds me of a task undone. Every year the Vintage Flying Museum has a fund raising dance with a full Glen Miller sound-alike band on a stage in the old WWII B-29 hangar with Chuckie as a backdrop just like it was depicted in the film Memphis Belle. In fact, the original female for whom the famous bomber was named has been to that dance. It is usually held in the fall and remains one of my all time favorite nostalgia hits.

Speaking of the WAF effect, Im not taking any chances this time around. Since I moved up to the mountains, I havent uncrated my five Heritage speakers and so my fiancé has neither seen nor heard my Klipschorn and Belle Klipsch replication of PWKs own living room configuration or the multi-channel music version that adds surrounds. So, when I had a chance to pick up GullahIslands pair of Belles, I scheduled the pick-up for this afternoon so I could properly introduce her to the grandeur of Heritage.

Of course, what I have going for me is that we figure we fell in love while watching The Sound of Music which reminded her of her native Swiss Alps and how the music came alive in my six KLF-30 (with stacked SVS Ultras) Legend Theater in its 30 circular yurt home. Since your profile mentions KLF-20s with a KLF-C7 center (and non-timbre matched surrounds), it brings up a question as to how you will be using the LaScalas. Obviously, a two-channel music rig with tubes is a wonderful way to make your day and building a Legend Theater does wonders for DVDs especially if you put a matching KLF-20 in the center! Yep, I just wouldnt be HornEd if I failed to get in a plug for my favorite multi-channel upgrade. Think about it the LaScala originated as a timbre-matched center for Klipschorns. In fact, after the Klipschorns every other speaker that Mr. Paul designed started out as a timbre-matched center for Klipschorns!

So, if you decide to expand your LaScala environment to three channel stereo or beyond, you have a wide selection of vintage Klipsch excellence to choose from. Again, welcome to the high road of Klipsch audio pleasure and long may you live in the rapture of the genuine PWK Heritage! =HornEd

Thanks everyone, I woke up (that's always good) and just had to peek in my living room to make sure the last 24 hours wasn't a dream. I have never been more satisfied with a purchase of anything than these La Scalas.

Georg - My sources are in my profile, cables are AR Pro series and Cobalt. Haven't tried higher end stuff and really don't intend to.

jbsl - I visit my Sister every so often in Boerne, will try to stop by at some point, you will be as amazed as I am when you get yours. They are HUGE, practically dwarf my KLF-20's.

jt1 - go for it, my modest tubes are wonderful.

Ed - These will be mainly for 2 channel listening. I never really "clicked" on the HT thing. My current home limits what is possible, next time around this will be a requirement. There is no W in my life right now, but I can't imagine a woman not liking these, the fit and finish are absolutley flawless.

Again, thanks to forum member wrench_peddler, who made this possible, I'd probably hug him if he was here, LOL. I'm happy as a pig in kaka.

3.gif

Space Cowboy,

Congratulations.

HornEd,

Super post. That really puts the WAF of a speaker in perspective. "But, honey, it could be worse. I could have bought an airplane."

jbsl,

I wouldn't go the tube CD route. But if you really really want to try it out, at least wait until you've lived with a tube amp for a while first. You may be concerned about all the talk about harsh CD sound. But there are lots of CDs that aren't harsh. If you have a source player that rolls off the highs a little, which would be perceived as removing some harshness, it's also going to roll off the highs on good sounding CDs too, making them sound not-as-good. The trick is to buy good-sounding CDs, and not buy a CD player that makes bad-sounding CDs sound okay. This is a general statement, too, so applies to non-tube CD players as well.

Space_Cowboy, I know exactly the joy you are experiencing. I felt it first when I bought mine back in the 80's. I long to own Khorns one day, but I so much love my La Scala's I don't know how I could relegate them to a role other then being my main speakers. I have a small HT set up that I must use a set of monopole surrounds and a center from the Reference line due to room size constraints. The Reference speakers sound good for their purpose but the La Scala's are singularly impressive. The La Scalas produce such a natural sound with so little effort. I am always amazed at how a piano or percussion set or string instruments and horns sound when these speakers are singing away. Ive been to countless stereo or I guess today I should call them audio or audio video stores, who promise to show me how newer more modern technology has left my beloved La Scalas behind. I let them demo their wares and realize they have never heard a set of Klipsch fully horn loaded Heritage speakers. These truly are a work of art. Enjoy, stop pinching yourself and welcome to the fully horn loaded world of Klipsch Heritage line. Paul W was truly a man vision and inspiration, and his designs hold testament to that very fact.