New Harmon Kardon Sucks

artto

I've had TWO Harmon Kardon AVR125 5.1 receivers go out since Xmas. Both have lasted aproximately 30 days before malfunctioning. At first I was amazed at how many 'features' were packed into this unit for the price. Now I'm just plain old pissed!

Anyone had similar problems with HK? Any recommendations on an alternative?

Amazing how my Khorns are nearly 30 years old......no problems.

25 year old tube amps..............no problems.

30 year old Crown amps.............no problems (um....well I must admit...one, on one of 8 or 9 units over the years... a bad power chord of all things)

Is all this newer stuff really as crappy as I'm beginning to think it is?

I have a 125 in my bdrm,play it everyday but not too long.What type of problem did you have?What type of speakers,or power regulation?I don't know too much about vintage,the vintage I owned was"new crap"at the time.

The first one, the right front channel went out. This one, the display went out, no volume control, no sound, cannot be 'reset'.

I had a grudge against HK for a long time,blowing channels in the previous decade.I just recently had a 630 inhouse for audition and it sounds really good.I'm talkin seperates good with a big fat 14g power cable,not like the lamp cord on my 3803 or the 53tx.I liked it sooo much I bought the 7200,hope it don't blow.Burn me once,shame on you,burn me twice,shame on me.

----------------

On 3/2/2004 7:56:48 PM KhornKerry wrote:

I have had no problems with my Denon AVR-3801 receiver and it sounds great.

----------------

Denon makes very reliable avr's,and they sound good.The HK 630 I just auditioned was so much better than my 3803 and 3802 for music and concerts I could hardly believe it.

----------------

On 3/2/2004 8:38:58 PM B******* wrote:

I've had my AVR525 for 8 plus months with not one problem...they run hot so you might wanna make sure it has plenty of air flow..dont put stuff on top of it ect...

----------------

I agree, they do run hot. I have the receiver on the very top of my entertainment center. When not in use, a board covers the top of the receiver. I do this to avoid dust getting into the unit.

I have not experienced any other receivers so I can't make a comparison like Fish did. But I am happy with the 630.

Getting back to OP topic: I would work with H/K some more. It took a bit of prodding to get them to replace my 525, but when they did they did it in a big way. Free upgrade to a new 630. That month of hell with no receiver paid off. Do NOT give up on H/K. Call them and tell them your problems. Do not give up! You have paid good money and expect a great product in return. They care about their name and should be able to help you.

----------------

On 3/2/2004 6:54:38 PM artto wrote:

I've had TWO Harmon Kardon AVR125 5.1 receivers go out since Xmas. Both have lasted aproximately 30 days before malfunctioning. At first I was amazed at how many 'features' were packed into this unit for the price. Now I'm just plain old pissed!

Anyone had similar problems with HK? Any recommendations on an alternative?

Amazing how my Khorns are nearly 30 years old......no problems.

25 year old tube amps..............no problems.

30 year old Crown amps.............no problems (um....well I must admit...one, on one of 8 or 9 units over the years... a bad power chord of all things)

Is all this newer stuff really as crappy as I'm beginning to think it is?

----------------

No, but you have to consider price.

Crown amps (also made by Harman Audio) - their CHEAPEST 2 channel amp is $250 - and that's a low-end PA model.

KHorns - Brand new, @ $6K

Your HK AVR125 - $279 for 5x45, 6 digital inputs, a host of DSP options, universal remote with macro functions...

You get what you pay for.

artto:

I am really sorry to hear of your troubles. What a pain in the arse! I'd like to recommend my Pioneer Elite to you. All Elites carry a two-year warranty. I have been running it for one year now without any issues and the sound through my RS-7s and the rest is fantastic. Model VSX-49TXi. There are other models with similar features available at lower cost than this flagship model. There is now a newer model than mine: the 59 TXi. Best of luck. I hope that HK will do something agreeable for you. 15.gif Best of luck!

-Picky

Well, wonders never cease!

First let me say that I whole heartedly agree that you usually get what you pay for. And coming from a more 'high-end' background, I was kind of amazed at how much was packed into the HK AVR125 for the money! And the sound quality was very good too.

I also agree that it seems to run hot. Too hot IMO. I did have a DVD/VHS combo on top of it but I built up some felt spacers under it to leave an inch or so of air space above the HK. There's plenty of room on the sides (vents there too). The cabinet is not enclosed. And the equipment is near floor level (cooler down there). And near a corner with 2 outside walls & 3 windows, no direct sunlight. So It seems to me that there's plenty of cool air to move in & room for the warm air to escape.

Now for the wonders part. I took the unit in to the store's service department to have it repaired under warranty (this is last year's model). I swear I wasn't back home much more than an hour, & I get a return email from HK (took most of the week for their response which is why I decided to just get it repaired).

They "would like to make arrangements to exchange the unit for the newer AVR130 if possible". It doesn't get much better than that. I really liked the newer ones anyway. They look really cool. But I just couldn't justify twice the price for newer cosmetics & few extra watts. Looks like I have my cake & eat it too! Along with some crow. Thanks HK!