Khorns difference purely asthetic?

BigBusa

I must admit that I think that the 1" high spacer that seperates the top section from it's bottom piece that attaches to the bass horn makes the speaker much better looking. That's a mouth full. This accent piece or design that we are talking about is called the B model. The Klipschorns that you pictured, I believe are called the C model. They could be purchased that way to save a little money. Both pairs of my Klipschorns are the B models. I like the design so much that I copied it for the new tops that I built for my mod. I even made it a little higher to accent the difference a little more.

You could rebuild the ones that you pictured to copy and look like the B model. They would look better as you said, and it wouldn't take much work.

People who are buying used Klipschorns always want the B models. They ask for the serial numbers to see if thay have the B in them.

Yep, the difference is purely aesthetic. These are two of the three trim levels PWK offered. The industrial looking version doesn't have a HF enclosure... just a board extended up from the face of the bass bin with the horns attached to it and having their butts hanging out in the nude. Got a pair of those in the Whitewater Tavern in Little Rock. BTW, that Whitewater preceeds Clinton's Whitewater by decades. It's got canoes and kayaks hanging from the ceiling for decoration. Rugged place, rough neighborhood.

My Khorns are KC-BR and were $800 each new in 1977. The KB-WO's were $1100 ea, Rosewoods were $1500 ea. All three sound the same. Some of us who bought new Khorns then were doctors, some where lawyers and some were auto-mechanics/ service managers. PWK in his wisdom made a model for each of us rather than just cater to the yuppies.2.gif

Rick

I kinda like the ones with the spacer most of all.

Maybe there is something going on with the "Golden Ratio". PWK was definite into it. My guess is that the bass bin fits it and without the spacer the top unit ruins the effect.

Gil

So the C and D models were available in the samw veneers and finishes as the B models? Seems most of the C's and D's I see are unfinished fir. Maybe more of those were sold, given the lower cost.

----------------

On 3/3/2004 9:51:46 AM fini wrote:

So the C and D models were available in the samw veneers and finishes as the B models? Seems most of the C's and D's I see are unfinished fir. Maybe more of those were sold, given the lower cost.

----------------

Fini,

See http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957k.jpg -- The "B" and "C" were both finished, the B with a "hand-rubbed" finish (YOU wouldn't make anything of that, would you?), and "C" a satin lacquer finish. By the 1960s, there was a "D" (for decorator?) model with a raw or black finish.

Larry

----------------

On 3/3/2004 11:09:15 AM larryclare wrote:

----------------

(YOU wouldn't make anything of that, would you?)

----------------

Well, maybe a broach, or a Pterodactyl...

My C model (73) Is in walnut. Bought from Klipsch with out speakers installed. you cant do that any more. I all ready had various Klipsch speakers & drivers plus K5 & 400/...To Paul Klipsch,s suprise. Walnut C units were made for me with J bolts & wing nuts in woofer door. So that I could swap woofers. Ill never let these go. Ive allways wanted to put the 1" spacer in place. But never got around to it.