Klipschorn dimensions, and inspection tips?

fini

Yes, I tried 'em out. They're awesome. I didn't realize they'd be this big, though. The're pretty dry. Looks like I will be heading to to the hardware store for some BLO.

Those are real nice Fini. They are much more red in colour than the ones I'm buying are (I believe both of ours are KBWO), mine are more brown. I really like the grain in yours too. Very nice.

I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow, any good words of advice as far as transporting them goes? I will be using my pickup (open box), but I only have to travel about 20 miles and the weather is suppose to be stellar. I plan on taking the HF section off. Did you find it easier to move them once apart? I could leave them together.

-PB

No, it's so easy to remove the side grilles and the HF section, and it makes the load easier to manage. You may choose to reinstall the HF section for transport (2 wingnuts each). Use lots of blankets, and score some protective corners, so your ropes and dolly strap don't leave scars (see one of my photos). Go slow loading them, think about what you're doing. Drive the least bumpy, least travelled way (if possible). Don't have too much coffee before you leave. Take extra vitamin C, and Ginko Biloba. Don't sleep between now and when you go to pick them up. Have fun! You want I should send Clipped & Shorn over to ride shotgun?

Well congrats to fini....

Dont worry about the time it takes you to get them into the corners - you have the rest of your life to enjoy them. One thing though - when you do get them placed properly they wont look half so big and dominating in the room - make sure your wife (who is probably wondering what the hell she agreed to let you do) knows this.

I think they are a little close together at the moment!! Just teasing.

BTW - What did you do with the classical collection? Might be time to start listening to some of the larger works - should blow your mind on KHorns!!

Above all - enjoy the process - this is something you are going to look back on with considerable pleasure - the time you finally got your KHorns..

Jealous as hell.

Max

Max is right on as usual... and from his disclaimer in his sig line... I expect his "jealous as hell" statement to be refuted tomorrow by a Khorn acquisition to fit his magnificent new living space. (Oh well Max, I can dream good audio thoughts for you and yours can't I?)

From the lovely quilt on the wall... it doesn't seem like that room is a TV place and once the Khorns are properly tucked in, you ought to have two-channel joy that will make C&S drool uncontrollably. I am proud of you and especially proud of your wife and daughters for supporting the man they so admire. The bonus is that once tucked away, those big ol' horns will delight them for years on end.

Sometimes courage brings really nice things into your life and those whom you love best. -HornEd

PS: I hope C&S gets a shot of your ear candy as compensation for his dit dah shotgun services.

PPS: Pierce, I feel the excitement of your Khorn anticipation. For my sixteenth birthday I bought, with funds earned from odd jobs, a used Oldsmobile from an elderly fellow and a used Klipschorn from an original beatnik who got in a financial bind in San Francisco's North Beach area... home of the original Beat Generation coffee house crowd. Believe it or not, I was far more stoked about having the horn-loaded monaural jewel than I was the mobility of the car. Lots of 16 year olds score a car... but damn few had a Khorn just six years after it was patented in Hope, Arkansas. The Khorn didn't disappoint me... and you have the opportunity to double the fun that I had in my youth. Enjoy!

" expect his "jealous as hell" statement to be refuted tomorrow by a Khorn acquisition to fit his magnificent new living space"

Whilst you are about it HornEd - dream me up some corners will ya...the dummy that designed my place put the fireplace in one corner, a radiator in the another and doors in the other 2 - important, non by-passable doors.

Not to mention dreaming up the $5000 that these things go for second hand in this marketplace.

Max, my friend, I remembered our correspondence from a few years ago... including the acoustic challenges of your listening area... and the potential for building marble Heresy replicas. On seeing your positive sig line and remembering your floor plan... I was moved to do a little Athenian "daydreaming" (actually middle of the night here) on your behalf. -HornEd

Max,

My vinyl dreams are on hold, after the little "accident" yesterday. I'll probably return to service the ol' Pioneer PL-41. I'll probably try the Shure on the arm, as the Grado danced wildly to some tunes.

Fini,

shame about the TT - how bad is it? Hard to tell from the picture - have you killed the cartridge as well as busting the arm? Is the arm reparable? Any other damage to the unit itself?

I suppose as a worst case there is always ceedee...

Max,

The arm is basically ruined. I'd be willing to bet the tank of a table is OK, though I haven't the will (yet) to try it. Surprisingly, the cartridge looks good, but I haven't done a close examination. At least the stylus is intact.

Thanks for your help Fini. I will probably leave them apart until I set them up at home. Not sure if I will have to stand them up in the box of the pickup, or if I will have room to lay them down (only a 6ft box in my truck). I'll figure that out when I get there. If C&S can get up to Vancouver, B.C. by 5:30 pst today, he more than welcome to ride shotgun! The complete move shouldn't take much more than 2-3 hours though so I my not be worth the trip. Fortunately for me they are close to home. My lucky day I guess.

This is too exciting.

-PB

PS. I would like to take (and post) pics, but this will all take place at night and probably won't show too much. I'll post pics once set up at home.

fini really had things worked out and anticipated for the move. He installed a smooth particle board bed in the back of the van so when we put down an old blanket on the edge the khorns could gently slide back without any kind of abrasion. In other words the blankets placed underneath acted like "rollers", the same way you move a ten ton press or any heavy object along a floor using a series of pipes. The combination of smooth plywood surface and blanket was the answer here.

I only got to hear them for a brief moment there when we tried them out, they were quite special, and it occurred to me this was the life's work of a man (PWK) dedicated to following an idea with integrity in spite of perhaps going against the existing preconceptions. I am glad these things are still relatively available and original owners are out there ready to unload them. I will keep this particular passion on hold for awhile, there will be time later to find a place for khorns. Meanwhile, for the moment, the speaker obsession has been diverted to the antenna obsession. One step at a time......

Being that this is the K forum I cannot imagine why anyone here serious about good sound would not be aspiring to fitting in the khorns into their system, and am amazed at the Cornwall holdouts, like myself and others....my homebrew Altecs did help a bit to offset the reservations about Corns, however, it is difficult not to want to work in the Khorns at some point, somewhere.

Meanwhile, I am comparing dipole designs.....

C&S

Man, you guys are killing me. After following this post I got the Khorn bug. Now I'm searching for a nice pair to replace my Belles. You'd think I'd be happy with Belles and a La Scala for my HT, but NOOOOOOOO...I now want Khorns...

Fini, very nice Khorns, congratulations. As others have said, enjoy the process, it is half the fun of doing these things.

• 7 months later...