Klipschorn dimensions, and inspection tips?

fini

Looks like I'm close to purchasing a pair of circa 1980-1984 walnut Khorns, in supposedly mint condition! They ain't cheap (a departure from my usual MO), but they ARE within driving distance. If indeed they fit the bill, I will be transporting them (about 100 miles) in my 1994 Toyota PU, standard bed, w/shell. Inside the wheel wells, I've got a flat spot in the bed of aproximately 72" X 39" X 34" high, at the door. I can't find dimensions on the Klipsch website. Can anyone help out here? Perhaps the should be taken apart (grills removed, obviously), but perhaps the bass bin and HF section should stay together? How tall and wide are Klipschorns? I'm thinking the most stable position for them would be to ride on their front panels.

Beyond making sure all the drivers fire, and a cosmetic inspection, what else should I be looking for? Since I don't know the actual year of manufacture, what crossovers should I expect, and, if there were a few possibilities, which crossovers are prefered? Should I go so far as to pull the woofer panel?

This will be a major purchase for me, and any help here is greatly appreciated. If all goes well, my 1980 walnut Cornwalls will be on the block, if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, given my big cash outlay for the Khorns, I won't be selling them at a bargain basement price.

Thanks all! Wish me luck!

• Like 1

From the Klipsch website:

DIMENSIONS:

52" (132.1cm) x 31.25" (79.4cm) x 28.5" (72.4cm)

WEIGHT:

167 lbs. (75.8kg)

The 31 is across the front. Laying on the front is OK. The top is set back from the bass bin by about 1" so extra padding to level it out and support it may be a good idea. My 87's have the AK3 crossover, not sure about the OLD Horns. About the only thing to check out other than physical condition is check the tweeter. Easily blown and just as easily fixed with about $35 each.

BTW, I will give you $500 for the Corns on condition that I get first shot at an even trade for the Khorns when you get ready to toss em.3.gif

• Like 1

Ye Garrards and Little Fishers fini... Don't be sheepish... forget the ewe turn... and come up to BIG HORN country! The Khorn Dimensions right off the Klipsch web site are: 52" (132.1cm) x 31.25" (79.4cm) x 28.5" (72.4cm) and they weigh in at 167 lbs. (75.8kg). I like to transport them standing up facing each other with a layer of foam in-between or individually crated but still standing upright. I believe you and your family will be delighted with your decisive action this time around. =HornEd

PS: I would be tempted to remove the pick-up shell and transport them in the uprightand Klipsch-locked position... for every "KlipschNut" along the way can see... with a big sign on the back that says "C'est fini!"

----------------

On 3/5/2004 1:46:14 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

Not sure but guess would be about 1" SHORTER.

----------------

That would be the spacer, eh? I'm talking about the whole HF section (tweeter & mid), that can be removed from the bass bin.

Ed,

I'd like to not have to remove the shell from my PU (that sounded a bit odd, eh?). I'm thinking they'll have to go face down, HF sections removed (and fit in there somewhere). Can anyone give me a clear size of the "home plate" shape of the Khorn, as seen from above (I.E. the five sides)?

fini, you probably will not be able to fit both face down on the flat part of the bed, so be prepared to have them sitting on their sides. They'll need to be propped up, maybe on the wheel well. No matter what, bring lots and lots of padding.

You might be able to have one facing down and the other facing up and lean the one facing up against the wheel well.

Yes, remove the side grills, but not necessarily the tops.

I would remove the tops if the bass bins will fit standing up under the cap. They would have to fit in standing straight up through the back opening because you will not be able to angle them in. The bass bins alone are 39" tall and the tops come off very easily.

I would pull the covers and check the woofers. If you find something other than the originals, negotiate.

You should find AA crossovers, K-55M mid drivers, K-77 tweeters, and K-33 woofers.

Congrats, you're going to love em.

How exciting, I remember my first Khorns.

Greg

----------------

On 3/5/2004 2:01:52 PM fini wrote:

Ed,

I'd like to not have to remove the shell from my PU (that sounded a bit odd, eh?). I'm thinking they'll have to go face down, HF sections removed (and fit in there somewhere). Can anyone give me a clear size of the "home plate" shape of the Khorn, as seen from above (I.E. the five sides)?

----------------

Fini,

Go to http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957k.jpg -- Someone needs to confirm, but I do not think the dimensions have changed since then! The top section of my B-style, including the insert, is 13.25" high (I myself like the B-style better). My home plate is 31.25" wide across the front, the parallel sides are only 12", the converging sides (which go along the wall) are 22.25", and the tip-to-front distance (max, measured perpendicular to the front plane) is about 27 3/8". Yes, take off the side grills, fastened on by famous wingnuts. Taking off the top, also held on by wingnuts (at least on mine), is a non-difficult two-person job. You need two folks anyway.

Larry

Here's what I'm considering for transporting these: Bass bins in the back, one HF section in the "X-tra Cab" location, one HF section in the passenger seat area (possibly removing said seat). FUN! The other option is the Sienna, but I will have to wait until my lovely wife returns...

----------------

On 3/5/2004 2:36:51 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Fini, they will fit in the back OK. Take plenty of blankets to wrap them in and be sure secure them from shifting around on stops, starts and turns. Let us see them when you get them. I know that garage pictures are out of the question!
2.gif

Rick

----------------

Only because I cannot get myself AND the camera in there...

Fini,

If you need to keep the top on, I second the idea of removing the HF sections from the LF. Get the two bass bins in your cab (maybe in the form of a "T" if bed size permits), and stow the HF sections where you can (again, bring LOTS of pads and quilts).

I've moved quite a few pair of Klipschorns and the ONLY way I'll move them anymore (due to tragic experiences) is to rent a minivan for one day, pull out the seats temporarily, and go fetch them. Minivans have:

- High internal clearance

- Easy and low access from both sides and the rear

- Perfect fit for two K-horns in a "T" config, tops off.

It costs about $70 for the rental and fuel, and is a very low stress, weather-proof way of transporting them over short or long distances.

I like Ed's idea too if you have the vehicle and strapping ability!

Here's the best image I have of one of these, so far. I guess they could be stained birch. I've requested (several times, actually) better photos, info from the label, etc.

maybe_2.jpg

I have fit 2 full Khorns into the bed of a 1979 Mitsubishi PU which is rather small, so I can assure you that it can certainly be done. Use extra blankets to prevent scratches and then cover with a good tarp for weather protection and tie it all down good.

DM2.gif

Oh, if you have a canopy, it can still be done, but you will be much harder as they are big and bulky. Two person job in such a case. If the canopy has 36 inches of vertical space you are cool. Put something that slides (like a blanket) down and slide the first bottom in on it on its side. Then you will have to man-handle the other in next to it also on its side so that the two cabinets are front-to-front. Shove both all the way to the front.

Then put in the top cabinets.

Good luck,

DM

The Khorn in the photo looks like Oil on Walnut to me. Ask the seller for the Type # on the paper tag behind the speaker, If walnut oil should be KB-WO or KB-WL for lacquer finish. Also get the serial # on both.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I went to Maryland from Houston (1600 miles one way) and picked up a pair of Klipschorns in my 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. I wrapped each speaker in 4 layers of 4 mil plastic to keep the water off. Also built a palette to keep the speaker bottom about 2 inches off the truck bed. I placed the Klipschorns facing each other and separated them by 3 inches of dense foam, using ratchet straps to hold together and to hold to the truck. The side of the speakers were against the cab with some foam for protection.

I got the speakers back to Houston with no problems.

I have a picture of my truck with the speakers on it, I was taking a picture of the house so the image of the truck is small.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/download.asp?fileID=26940&topicID=33537&forumID=74&catID=19&sessionID={15F9852B-CCE2-42CD-9849-EDF5778BB277

}