My Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" arrived today

BigBusa

----------------

On 3/5/2004 11:13:54 PM prodj101 wrote:

kind of blue is kind of boring to the new listener....thats why I advised not getting it as a starter in another thread. you have to listen to jazz for awhile befor eyou can appreciate what it's really about.

----------------

I usually recommend Sonny Clark's "Cool Struttin'" or "Something Else" with Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderly for first timers. The tunes are just a little more catchy. I first started to like jazz by listening to Buddy Rich but that's kind of like jazz and big band combined. Now I love it all.

Listening to JJ Johnson, Volume I lp right now thanks to Allan. Great jazz trombone player.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo what... (insert head scratching smily here)

I too wasn't floored with Kind of Blue. I'm very much a jazz newbie as well. After reading Allan's and others recs; I p/u Kind of Blue, Cool Struttin', Time Out, and Chet Baker Sings on lp. I also bought a few CDs: 2 Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis Essentials, and a Wes Montgomery. Dave Brubecks Time Out, to me is better. Maybe after I develop an ear for jazz, I'll give the Miles Davis another try. This coming from someone who is more into heavy ROCKIN', but I can appreciate Jazz music. For something that mixes both genres try something from Canderia. Some strange sh!t there.9.gif

Radiohead... Strange, I had the same reaction to Radiohead after about 10 listens. Meanwhile, Kind of Blue is a rec I would level to any lover of GREAT music. It's a landmark album and deserves all the accolades tenfold. I have never heard anyone decribe the album as "boring" in my life and I actually find this extremely accessable jazz that also happens to be one of the best sessions with some of the best musicians in history.

Every song was just hung around a loose framework actually referred to as the "modal" approach. You have to realize, what you are hearing is mostly the FIRST TAKE with a few second take numbers. As with ANYTHING good with depth, it takes more than a pefunctory wash and rinse to really get what is going on here. Still, the first time you hear the opening bars of So What, you realize this is somehing different.

I grew up loving all the 60s greats but this record only needs someone with a love of music along with a bit of a chance to realize the genius at work. Both Coltrane and Cannonball are in TOP form on this record and Bill Evans has more taste and touch than most piano players combined. OF course, Miles is excellent here too. Add to the fact it's an excellent recording with a lot of history and text devoted and it makes an EXCELLENT intro to classic jazz. There isnt one number on this album that is not a classic. Please do some serious listening here, and not as background. These pieces deserve attention. The SAX interplay between Adderley and Coltrane is excellent.

I am not a big fan of the redbook reissue but others say the SACD is excellent. The vinyl has the life and substance. Stay away from the mediocre digital remaster vinyl, a sonic disappointment.

kh

I have the SACD of this and I find it amazing! Of course I have been listening to Jazz ever since I was a kid because my Dad liked Jazz. Maybe Busa would like some Gene Krupa. I think my Dad had an LP called Drum Battle or something that was basically one long drum solo.

Laters,

While sonically nothing to hop to and fro about, the recent CD reissue has some redeeming virtues. It's at the correct speed, and I do enjoy the alternate version of Flamenco Sketches.

Miles' solo on "So What" was a major influence on my college playing. Learning it on upright bass was a challenge in the upper registers, but well worth the time. My Miles sure got a kick out 'So What" the other night. 6 wks old, and he was cracking up on my knee as I diddled around on the piano. Balancing an infant while playing piano is a bit tricky. D dorian is fine, but the bridge in E-flat taxed my skills a bit, as I'm neither Farrante nor Teicher.

garymd,

"Kind of Blue" is not Hard Bop,as already pointed out by Mobile homeless.bclarke421;sonics "nothing to hop to and fro about"???Are you serious??I own a number of "six eyes", originals and reissues, and this is possibly one of the best sounding Lps I've ever heard from Columbia (or anyone else for that matter).My opinion only.

The Troll

"Something Else" MAY be a better first choice for first timers.I've given away dozens of copies to folks who have rarely,if ever,LISTENED to "JAZZ". So far my efforts have been well received.That "Autumn Leaves" leaves them misty every time.One Christmas all co-workers got the Sony reissue of "Blue",it didn't bowl them over like I thought it would (should).I am convinced (maybe my opinion only)that people who can't connect with "Kind of Blue" on SOME level,can HEAR but don't know how to LISTEN.15.gif

The Troll

bclarke421,

Miles approved the one made at the "wrong" speed,remember?Maybe you need a better CD player,as the Sony reissue you referenced comes pretty damn close to the Lp.I guess the rumor is true,most practicing musicians have tin ears when it comes to REPRODUCED sound.Your "tone" is so self-righteous and indignant you must have a very tiny wee-wee.

Your Friend,Always,

analogboy

----------------

On 3/6/2004 3:38:41 PM analogman wrote:

garymd,

"Kind of Blue" is not Hard Bop,as already pointed out by Mobile homeless.bclarke421;sonics "nothing to hop to and fro about"???Are you serious??I own a number of "six eyes", originals and reissues, and this is possibly one of the best sounding Lps I've ever heard from Columbia (or anyone else for that matter).My opinion only.

The Troll

----------------

You're right Mr. Analog. It isn't really hard bop at all. More like a mellow soft bop. I actually edited my original post, trying to be a little more kind to Busa. Something you don't seem to be able to master.

Pretentious nature of enjoying jazz? Audiophile? What kind of remark is this? I actually thought the responses were pretty tame with an obviously baiting opening line, "Kind of Boring."

There is nothing pretentious about jazz, only the feelings you apparently are associating with it. It's actually one of the least pretentious and spontaneous forms of music there is, including rock, which often has for more pretense and false trappings... although I love it anyway.

Do you count anything with any kind of subtlety as pretentious? I can enjoy Misty Mountain Hop with the best of them, but there is also the same energy in great jazz. I dont think I would be as quick to judge it on the FIRST DAY of its arrival.

It reminds of the guys that cursed Led Zeppelin III when it came out as a dramatic step down because it didnt equal the power of immediate take as with the second Zeppelin album. Of course, years later, many thought III a classic.

Remember how you were in love with your 600w Dynaco Bridged monsters? And then later came to think they sounded grainy and harsh? Give this stuff some time without the prejudice. It's worth it.

No, it doesnt go 0-60 in under 4.3 seconds. There are other things that have value besides big pecs.

kh

Kind of Blue_ is usually suggested because it's a standard in jazz recordings, & yes, Kelly, the SACD is top notch. There are so many different flavors of jazz, that not liking a standard is akin to not liking a standard of a particular type of beer. It's no less satisfying to those with an ear for a type of beer, but it may be that you don't have the ear for beer yet at all. When you do, you'll probably enjoy the standard.

SSH

I have the SACD and CD versions of Kind of Blue and I must say I like the CD version more. the top and low ends of the SACD version seem to be tamed, and have lost detail. Also the acoustic bass doesn't have the defenition that it does on the CD version.