GOOD AND BAD NEWS

DRBILL

I had a visit today from David, a 9th grader from Everman, Texas, and an avid reader of the Klipsch Forum. He tracked me down through the Forum by doing a little detective work, contacted me, and asked if he could come hear some Klipschorns. I was glad to oblige and he and his dad spent a couple of hours listening to me lecture and auditioning my three channel vacuum tube setup. David asked all the right questions being a very bright and informed kid. He can't wait to get started on his own Klipsch adventure. Wonderful.

But what's wrong with this picture?

From the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, the closest Klipsch Dealer that has heritage Klipsch speakers on the floor for auditioning is Hot Springs, Arkansas. That's a day's journey from here. Kids like David are at the mercy of strangers to hear the real thing.

Where is this leading? Extinction. It seems that the new Klipsch administration has taken the approach that "if nobody knows about this stuff, in time, we wont have to make any more."

Thanks, David. We need at lot more like you.

Sorry, Paul. May your soul, and the souls of all the faithfull departed rest in peace. We miss you.

Father Bill+15.gif

Thank you Dr. Bill for letting me come over! It was a very fun and a very memorable experince. It feels like I just got home from a Pink Floyd concert! Are you sure 16hz wont cause structural damage? lol! I bet you have very understanding neighbors! I hope your visitors tonight enjoy them as much as I did. I will get some of my own Khorns one day. I do like the idea of going ahead and getting them and making a bunk bed out of them! Thanks for everything!

Yes, Father Bill, this is a sad state of affairs.

It reminds me of CD stores that don't carry much of any titles except the current hits. "But we can order anything for you." No, thanks, if I wanted to order a title, I'd get it off the internet. And in the case of CDs, the wait might be only a few days.

How many everyday people are even aware that Heritage speakers can be ordered in the first place, and then how many of them are going to be willing to wait months for delivery? Are they going to order something for thousands of dollars that they've never even seen, let alone heard?

Father Bill,

Thanks for your post. I'm sadly surprised to hear that there isn't a Heritage dealer in the DFW area. Though, a little serendipitous news for me that there is one in Hot Springs, Arkanasas. I'd thought since Custom Audio had dropped Heritage from their showroom in Little Rock that there probably wasn't another in the state. Do you happen to know the name of the outfit in Hot Springs?

I was surprised to see the K Horns on display in Lansing Michigan at "The Stereo Shoppe" this past weekend.

Almas HIFI in Dearborn Michigan had a pair of Belles; they have not been hooked up in my recent visits. Only RF-7s.

I am sure most of us consider RF-7 NOT to be a heritage replacment of equiviliant.

Well there may not be any dealer but there are plenty of us here in the DFW area that have Heritage Speakers. Any time you want to audition some Heritage speakers drop by the DFW_Hornheads Yahoo Group and ask. I am sure someone will have what you want to listen to.

Laters,

The solution then is clear. Those of us with Heritage need to open our homes and listening rooms.

I live in Dayton, Ohio. Anyone interested in hearing new Klipschorns are welcome to hear them anytime. I can clear any weekday evening with just a days notice.

Congrats, David, on the upcoming "heresy day" at your house! You WILL love'em.

I don't really think klipsch LLC is to blame for the lack of visability of heritage speakers. I think the blame, if you want to call it that, lies more in the fact the market, largely due to HT and whole-house audio, has gone to smaller, thinner speakers. Face, it most folks just don't want huge, boxy speakers in their homes. Regardless of how good they may sound. So, in light of that, dealers don't want to stock them. Hopefully, there will always be a few scattered around that will carry a some heritage. Remember, nothing of value comes easy!!!

I hear you! I am positive that the 6th order boom boxes with the swiveling cubes are behind the push to smaller and smaller speakers and equipment. So many people do not know what good sound reproduction can be like. Instead, they settle for boom boxes made popular from incessant marketing campaigns, while spending oodles of bucks on frivolous widgets, car payments, designer clothes and the like.

Ironic that here in Athens, not 2 miles from where I sit the Klipsch distributor has 1 pair of Klipsh Horns, 1 pair of LaScalas and 2 pairs of Heresies - IN THE WINDOW!! Alongside the other ranges.

I drove past last night - quite a sight - although the window isnt the greatest on earth (he is a distributor first and foremost - although he demos all the speakers for potential purchasers and freeloaders like me).

Of course the fact that the pricing here is double that in the US may have something to do with it....

5 more days! Gee, since I get in trouble for my PM 4.1 being too loud, I can only imagine what the Heresy's will get me into! When my Dad gets home with my Pioneer equipment, I'll post what it is and you ya'll dont mind, can you tell me if it is any good? Day... not... anywhere... near... over.........

Mark, in the old days, this was an excellant marketing and sales strategy. For the current times with Klipsch, it is backfiring. There are just as many 1950s era Khorns available for sale as in-stock, on the premises new Khorns. The number of used Khorns on EBay, Audiogon et al are > 90% of Khorn sales per annum. It will be very hard for Klipsch to gain market share and penetration with Khorn sales, unless they start throwing rosewood, cherry, bird's eye maple, and zebrawood Khorns out into the on premises market. They have yet to do this, judging from forum feedback.

The conjecture I will throw out is house market research indicates that Khorn sales are current Klipsch owners and repeat buyers who upgrade to Khorns, like Dean. These clients have no need for ads, marketing, or convenient storefronts. Klipsch has zero costs associated with this mode of Heritage marketing and sales. If Klipsch were smart, they would move Heritage over COMPLETELY to internet ordering, and totally bypass the barns that stock Reference and can place orders for Heritage.

What this gameplan misses is me. I have had Heresys and La Scalas, but I knew the Khorns were the big Mamas I would one day own. With no brick and mortor nearby, and no beautiful Khorns in any store within a seven hour drive, I decided to sate my Khorn jones in the used market, saving(earning opportunity cost) at almost $900/hr for my trip time to Atlanta from St. Louis. Gone are the days where Klipsch buyers were exposed to Khorns while economically being forced to buy Heresys or Cornwalls. I can still remember the day and hour when I walked out of Flip's, telling my two friends "One day...."