Can cornwalls kick butt ?

BackBurner

Remember, when you don't understand anything whatsoever about science, it is time to invoke MAGIC and claims of Golden Ears. Watts and distortion are meaningless measurements that just get in the way.

Don't forget to throw some insults and condescension into your posts--sure to be a hit with your fellow cultists. Do forget about mush, compression, and clipping.

P.S. Mobile, you should quit trolling. The original question had nothing to do with flea-powered amps. Your desperation is amusing but totally off-subject.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something that he needs to understand about the 1000 watt peaks is that they refer to only micro-second peaks and not sustained power output. 100 - 125 Watts per channel is more than enough to make the Cornwalls sound awesome, but keep in mind garbage in, garbage out. If you hook a crappy amp to them you are going to get crap out. Those Dynaco's that Don used must be real doo doo, I can run my DBX BX-3MkII (400W X 2) at near full output with no audible distortion and certainly no woofer clacking, chaffing, or pooting. Like I said garbage in, garbage out. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/10/2004 1:06:06 AM mike stehr wrote:

Call me a outcast bastard, but I'll listen to thrash on Cornwalls, with a SET amp.

I use subwoofers, too.

It all depends on the recording, IMO.

Either you are rather Bored, or you need Cerwin Vegas.
2.gif

----------------

Gezz mike thats dam near funny . 1.gif

You don't know how close you just came to the truth .!!

At one point in my life i ran a DJ booth at a large strip club , the place was jammed to the roof with cerwin vegas and stacks of bryston amps so high i could barly see over them . Want to talk " HEAT " ? Litle tube based amps put out next to no BTU's compared to a stack of SS amps rockin a 400 seat venue in the middle of july .

For some reason i miss the " benifits " of that job .2.gif

a friend of mine had cornwalls hooked up to a 150w.p.c.ss receiver...we would ROCK!!those corns w/Scorpions/Van Halen/ AC/DC /Led Zep/Ozzie&Black Sabbath...you name it! 'classic' rock at WAY over-the-top volume levels! a little harsh at HIGH volumes, but a real in-your-face concert-like experience.

i have '82 cornwalls in my living room, and so far i prefer their sound a little loud vs.low-to-medium, but i have to actually step back behind the couch out of the room(the back of the room is completely open)for the best sound. i imagine the room is on the small side for them,but it is my secondary system(to my theater room)and i will be trying a yamaha RXV-1400 with the cornwall/heresy2 living room system soon-which may help them sound better.

avman.

I tell you what. After I get home from a hard day of hangin' sheetrock I blast Skynyrd on my Cornwalls and man I TURN IT UP! I usually chug a sixer of Pabst and tell my old lady to cook me some damn supper while I crank up the tunes. NOBODY rocks harder than Skynyrd so I know they can handle all those new bands like Metallica.

Cornwalls + SS= no

Piano and Tenor Sax or vocal Jazz= yes! with tubes !!!

Big band and blazing trumpet sections= ok, but not too loud, even with tubes.

This is why I custom built 20 cubic foot Altec cabinets. I can play anything as loud as I want and it sounds nice. except at a certain point the walls rattle, but the homebrew cab is solid. Multi-amping is a hobby unto itself also......tweakers heaven.....

Unless you want to custom build something, consider Khorns, especially if you want furniture friendly visuals. The Khorns look like fine furniture......check out the elegance of fini's living room which will be featured in this weeks California Living magazine.....fini start cleaning up.....

My Corns have been damped on woofer framework and mid horn, seemed to help a bit.

C&S

"Cornwalls + SS= no"

Based on personal experience, I strongly disagree......see below.

"Piano and Tenor Sax or vocal Jazz= yes! with tubes !!!"

Agree, absolutely !

"Big band and blazing trumpet sections= ok, but not too loud, even with tubes."

Against all conventional wisdom, the most pleasant sounding amp I've tried with my Cornwall's is a modified Hafler XL-280. Maybe a little dry sounding yes, but the midrange blare that I get with either of my tube amps is tamed.

"This is why I custom built 20 cubic foot Altec cabinets. I can play anything as loud as I want and it sounds nice."

That is why I prefer my La Scala's to the Cornwall's. Not that I listen loudly, but even at volumes of 80-95 db the La Scala's have a more open and relaxed sound than Cornwall's to me. Still to try a SET amp with either; Paramour's are on the way.

-Ken

----------------

On 3/10/2004 2:30:16 PM synthfreek wrote:

I tell you what. After I get home from a hard day of hangin' sheetrock I blast Skynyrd on my Cornwalls and man I TURN IT UP! I usually chug a sixer of Pabst and tell my old lady to cook me some damn supper while I crank up the tunes. NOBODY rocks harder than Skynyrd so I know they can handle all those new bands like Metallica.
----------------

synthfreek,

"You Got That Right"!

I would go in the camp that says the Cornwall's can rock. I listen to metal and rock (Dream Theater, Joe Satriani etc.) the most and quite a bit of classical and a miniscule amount of jazz and love my Cornwall and Scott tube amp (if I can get it working again) setup with all. When I had the Corns with SS (B&K) it was also quite good, but I like the openness and lack of grain that the Scott puts out. I do wish on rare occasion that the Scott could put out more than the 25W or so.

However, I haven't heard many other speakers to compare it to, as some on this BB have.

As far as headroom, you need to have a good low watt performer to start with or having the extra 10 dB doesn't mean squat. I think you gotta have both (good, low distortion first watt and lots of back-up power) to really enjoy music to its fullest.

Mace

With lots of tweaks, cables, interconnects, cones, etc... Cornwalls can be very revealing with SS. I still have the Acurus amp upstairs and it can sound wonderful. Great detail, you can even hear where the instruments are on stage. The only problem, after 35-45 minutes I get a headache. The horns are a little too much for me. Add some more rope caulk to the squawker and it sounds better.

Can it do it, yes. Is it the best option, probably not.

----------------

On 3/10/2004 6:50:26 PM BigBusa wrote:

backburner those are computers!

----------------

I think a pair of these would be a little more than your run of the mill computer !!!

Check out these specs : 8ohms 1 x 500 watts

4ohms 1 x 1000 watts

2ohms 1 x 2000 watts

Total capacitance 358,400 uf

Transformer size 3000 va

Plus these things can run single ended .

I'd venture to guess you could buy a decent car for the price of these OMEGA / MONO BLOCKS .

Guest Anonymous

I had a buddy over few months a go was showing off my 76 cornwalls (all originall) guy showed up around 7pm that evening at noon the next day his ears were still ringing!!!! his first time listening to klipsch his remark was "only time my ears rang like that was after a Iron Maiden concert" the Cornwalls were fed from a Adcom 555II less than 100w per channel....Tony

Mace,

You definitely know how to rock. Satriani and Dream Theater kick some serious a.s! I was lucky enough to see the "Stange Beautiful Music" tour in the front row of the orchestra pit at the Greek Theater in the summer of 2002. Kings X and Dream Theater opened for Joe. It was one of the best shows I have been to in a long time. Still doesn't beat Zeppelin at the Forum in 77 though.

I can't think of any combo than could send me ducking for cover faster than an old Adcom with Cornwalls.

Congratulations to all of you who enjoy hearing your ears ring, because now you have hearing damage.

If you want a real Rock-n-Roll setup for high volume listening -- get yourself some LaScalas and some good tube push-pulls with about 50wpc. Your ears won't ring -- and it'll actually sound good.