OT: what kind of car does everyone have?

Rdmarsiii

Link to it something like this (only leave out the # signs).

I inserted the # signs only to help you see how to do it, instead

of seeing the actual picture.

<#img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Snowflake21.jpg"#>

Also, you probably should resize the images to 640x480 before uploading them.

I hope this makes sense . . .

Snowflake21.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 Mazda6 S.

5spd, of course.

Now if only it was a manly, modern body-on-frame car with "true" duals instead of a y-pipe. We all know that the best cars are not unit-body and have "true" dual exhaust... These are the only measures of the goodness of a car, and the quality of the drivetrain, brakes, interior, styling, reliabilty, resale value, etc. are immaterial.

The following automobile manufacturers are to be ridiculed for not offering manly body-on-frame automobiles in their arsenal (in no particular order): Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Chevrolet, Saab, Aston-Martin, Honda, Toyota, Maserati, Subaru, ChryCo, Kia, Hyundai, Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, Mitsubishi, Audi, Volkswagen, Pontiac, Mazda, Dodge, Acura, Bentley, Volvo, Suzuki, Lexus, Vauxhall, Opel, Lamborghini, Nissan, Maybach, Jaguar, Mini, Saturn, Alfa Romeo, Scion, and many more I can't quite think of off the top of my head.

Clearly those 38+ brands are wrong. Unit-body cars are a fool's design.

Not to mention "real men" only drive automatics. Much more difficult than girly manuals, which naturally are not offered on a ********-enhancing Crown Vic.

D*** my "Japanese" car that's made in Michigan (that's in the United States of America, by the way, just north of Indiana and Illinois in case you'd missed it). Shame on me!! Should've gotten that oh-so-modern, manly V8 Crown Vic, made in St. Thomas (that's in CANADA, by the way).

I hang my head in shame.

Though, in reality, only because the upgraded audio system is branded by *gasp!!* Bose.

In future, I'll be sure to check with TBrennan to find a very Stereophile-like list of "Recommended Cars". Hopefully they'll all be made in Canada (don't want no 'Merkin made cars, thanks), have true duals (that y-pipe ruins it for me), a frame that the body bolts to (in keeping with current trends in automotive engineering), and not require anything approaching a thought process when it comes time to shift gears (thinking hurts my head). I want everything about my next automotive purchase to reflect the absolute pinnacle of modern automotive design, like the cutting-edge Crown Victoria.

Well, everyone has their own opinions, and you are welcome to yours, but I happen to own a 93 caprice and also a 91 honda civic sedan. Every car has a different purpose. Can your mazda6 haul a small travel trailer??? I think not! My caprice can, how come yours won't? Not because mine is inferior to yours, just that it serves a different purpose. Unitbody cars serve a purpose as well, as being lighter and more fuel efficient as well as absorbing more energy in a crash. You like yours, and I like mine.

Oh and another thing, unless you live in a rust-belt area you do not know what rust does to your unitbody construction. There are cars here that literally have holes in the rocker panels that are 4 and 5 years old. Since there is no conventional frame, and the aprons, rails, rockers, floor, door pillars and roof carry the loads, when rust starts affecting structural areas, it is time to park it. When a rusty unibody collides with a conventional frame vehicle, 9 times out of ten the unibody crumples like a pop can.

The worst rustbucket I EVER drove was a 1980 Renault 'LeCar' Bought new, in 1980, it suffered from severe rust in less than 3 years!

To give you an example of the nightmare of horror that this vehicle represents - when it was only 3 years old, I started smelling a pungent, 'hot' odor when driving. I just couldn't figure out where it was coming from, or where. One day, I finally happened to lift the front carpet on the driver's side, and saw to my horror that the floorboard directly above the catalytic converter looked like swiss cheese (probably also because the heat shield was also almost totally disintegrated) The smell was the CARPET slowly burning!!!! 7.gif (in retrospect, the best thing would have been for this thing to have caught fire) It probably would have cost $1000 to fix this problem, and by then something else would be wrong (never had a more UNRELIABLE car either!) So, I went to our barn, found an old tin sign from the side of a bread truck, cut to fit, slid under the carpet and voila! Problems solved - or as Inspector Clouseau would say, since it is a FRENCH car - sol-ved. I had the car another year before ditching it, and the bread sign seemed to be holding up better than the actual body of the car. 9.gif

Michael Hurd...

I believe you might have missed the point of the post... This was not aimed at BOF cars as such, but at the incredibly condescending post by another board member who went on a rant against Japanese cars (apparently having a real bug up his keister about Honda in specific), made fun of them for not having true-dual exhaust, and smugly pointed out that his CV was not a unit-body. I am not "that guy" who makes fun of the other guy who didn't buy the "right" car... Nor do I take sides in the imports v. domestic battle, having owned both and in fact primarily have bought Fords. I do find it hysterical that someone who decries "Jap crap" that's built and usually at least partially designed in the USA would drive a car built in, *ahem*, Canada. One of life's little ironies, I guess.

Upon reading my own post now, it reads much worse than it seemed when I typed it. Blame the fine people who make Killian's and the distillery at Smirnoff, too... Classic example of "drunk posting". 14.gif

Leave it to me to break a cardinal rule. I will happily edit or otherwise hack up my own post if it is offensive to anyone other than he to whom I was responding in the first place. 9.gif

Loco---Actually I said nothing against Japanese cars in general, mentioning Hondas and, ah, Pontiacs for their use of cheesy phony duals.

Yeah, I know the Vic is made in Ontario, by well paid CUAW members. That's fine with me. And I know that your Mazda is UAW made. But regardless of who makes it I consider it a gaudy car. I looked at the Mazda sedan before I bought the Vic, mechanically it's a VERY nice package. But the styling is a bit overdone for me and the dashboard and it's lighting is of unsurpassed ugliness. And there remain the fatal false duals.

Isn't it funny that the SS Camaro, a true beast of a car with a V-8 of over 320hp unapologetically used a SINGLE exhaust while Pontiac and others are trying to make their V-6s appear to have duals? I prefer function to form.

It's not discrete of you to come here flaming away given the present state of things.

----------------

On 3/21/2004 11:19:00 AM nathangen wrote:

Volvo stationwagon 1983 still goes no rust.

----------------

Wow... i don't think i've ever seen an 80's Volvo without rust... thought they came from the factory with it 9.gif

----------------

On 3/21/2004 12:37:29 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 3/21/2004 11:19:00 AM nathangen wrote:

Volvo stationwagon 1983 still goes no rust.

----------------

Wow... i don't think i've ever seen an 80's Volvo without rust... thought they came from the factory with it
9.gif

----------------

Rust was an option.2.gif

I remember in the 80's a lot of kids went out and bought Nissan pick-ups and took the springs out to make them in to pseudo-lowriders or just slammed trucks. I also remember seeing a ton of rust on those things when they weren't that old. Not saying that removing springs promotes rust but I did see a few of them getting high-sided in turn lanes during heavy snow days. Now THAT was funny! Hmmmm....don't seem to see those trucks much anymore......

On 3/20/2004 1:31:37 PM TBrennan wrote:

>>>Loco---Actually I said nothing against Japanese cars in general, mentioning Hondas and, ah, Pontiacs for their use of cheesy phony duals.<<<

Really? Then what, exactly, did you mean by saying the following earlier in the thread:

>>>Yeah, Hondas are nice cars if you're a certain kind of guy, a metrasexual type who digs pissant V-6s for instance.<<<

Or.... Since you said you said nothing against Japanese cars in general, only casually mentioning Hondas...

>>>I see nothing cool about foreign cars, nothing. I think they're effete.<<<

Or....

>>>the smarmy new-age mentality that thinks they're cool, that's effete. Degenerate. UnAmerican self-loathing<<<

Then there's the head-scratching weirdness of your fixation on dual exhausts...

>>>Y pipe exhaust is forever cheap and phony, like something from J.C. Whitney's<<<

Then you decide to kill your own argument by pointing out the Camaro's use of single exhaust, and how the other cars without dual exhausts are phonies. Now... Why do you think YOUR car has duals? The Camaro SS got by with single exhaust. Heck, the last-generation Viper, to choose another American-brand car, got by with single exhaust in later model years. You decry the Japanese for using phony duals, but has it ever occurred to you that the Crown Vic doesn't need duals, either? Could it be they were put there to impress the buyers? Like... YOU?

This is followed shortly by another of your posts attacking Honda, wherein you amazingly seem to have forgotten calling other people and/or their cars, up to this point, "cheesy", "UnAmerican", "metrasexual", "phony", "pissant", "effete", "degenerate", etc... Again, I quote YOU... All before I posted, I might add:

>>>You know this thread was going fine, nobody bumrapped anybody else's choice until you piped up to tell me how much better your Honda is<<<

And to prove how high-minded you are, you helpfully add:

>>>Most of the guys I see driving Hondas are chinless nerds; no-balls desk-jockeys with cell-phones prominently displayed like a Red Badge of Courage. Guys who do what they're told. Or chicks.<<<

Thank goodness you aren't into flaming, because only God knows where the "line" is for you between flaming and outright insults.

Like, I dunno, calling someone's car "gaudy", then trying to sound reasonable, and then going postal on the exhaust again:

>>>But regardless of who makes it I consider it a gaudy car. I looked at the Mazda sedan before I bought the Vic, mechanically it's a VERY nice package. But the styling is a bit overdone for me and the dashboard and it's lighting is of unsurpassed ugliness. And there remain the fatal false duals.<<<

And as for THIS:

>>>It's not discrete of you to come here flaming away given the present state of things.<<<

Pot, meet the kettle, for you are both black.

As for MY post... Well, aside from pointing out the obvious, which is that BOF cars are almost extinct and therefore not particularly modern, that you can't get a manual in a Crown Vic, and that your zeroing in on a car's EXHAUST SYSTEM of all things is just plain odd... I did no flaming. Engaged in quite a bit of sarcasm, yes. Insult YOU, personally? Nope. Not a word of it. Something you can't say, I'm afraid.

This is not flaming, this isn't even FIGHTING for crying out loud, but what it is... Is exposing you for being a two-faced name-caller. Don't try to take the high ground here, you've already shown you can't. You can't read your own posts and then accuse ME of being indiscreet.

Must be because I have a y-pipe.