2-Channel Forum

neo33

Joining the 2-channel forum was a dangerous move and a grave mistake. Eversince joining this forum back in August 2003, I have acquired:

- One pair of Klipsch reference speakers.

- Two pair of Klipsch heritage speakers.

- Two tube linestage preamps.

- One tube phonostage preamp.

- Two pair of tube SET monoblocks.

- Two pair of tube PP monoblocks.

- Three vintage integrated tube amps.

- Three CD Players.

- Three turntables.

- Countless cables and interconnects.

- 50 CDs.

- 250 LPs.

Talk about an expensive hobby during the downturn of the economy. Though I love it and want to repeat the same mistake again and again. Somebody, please help me win the lottery. I am desparate. I can't stop spending on audio. 14.gif.

This is not a calculation I want to make - but it is nowhere near as bad for me as it seems to have been for you - so maybe I will just to make myself feel better 9.gif

I think I have bought around 1000 LPs since joining the forum as a start off point.

Generally for a lot of people it does not end. Endevor to get your setup to a point where you can say, I am happy with what I am hearing. Once you do, then just spend your money on music.

You have a lot of redundant stuff, it is easier to focus on just one really nice setup instead of two or three mediocre ones. Just my $.02 anyway.

- tb

I too have gone way overboard over the past year. I'm almost at the point where I have the 3 setups I want. Upstairs is done. Basement is done. My downstairs system is waiting on a new pre and the original woofers which are being reconed this week after a 3 month wait for parts. At that point I can begin to fully enjoy the 1500 or so lps and cds I've acquired in that same time period.1.gif The only possible change will be khorns or lascalas to replace the altecs at some point if I'm not happy with the sound once they're 100% and a new TT downstairs.

----------------

On 3/16/2004 11:28:54 AM garymd wrote:

The only possible change will be khorns or lascalas to replace the altecs at some point if I'm not happy with the sound once they're 100% and a new TT downstairs.

----------------

Unless you build a third floor...

----------------

On 3/16/2004 11:32:13 AM Anarchist wrote:

Where do you folks acquire all these LPs and at what cost? Aside from Ebay and a couple pawn shops, I haven't seen a place to browse through LP's in years.

----------------

Come to MD and I'll take you on a spree! I paid 50 cents for many of mine. They increased it to $1.00 recently. It's "Friends of the Library" and they have thousands of lps. It's a used book/record store that opened about 2 months ago after the basement of the library couldn't fit any more donations. I bought about 50 over the past 2 weeks. Yesterday I found a section of all sealed lps. Most were not worth getting but a couple George Carlins I couldn't resist and some Peter Townsend. I could spend a week in that place and wouldn't look at them all.

The price runs the gamut. Ebay, Record stores, estate sales, garage sales, resale shops, ads in the paper, storage facilities that sell contents of non-paying customers. Of course there is new vinyl too.

You may find really good stuff at these places, and you may find stuff that is worthless, in fact you will find lots of worthless vinyl and stuff that has been very picked through. Timing is the key. Getting to the stuff first is important. ;-)

- tb

Neo,

I did that too my first few years into "the hobby" ...now I take my money and spend it on new CDs, vacations in the carribean and new cars...get a system you like and spend your money on other pursuits, you have collected enough...on the other hand I have to constantly fight the seemingly justifiable "collector" itch, I want some brook amps, a 7C, some McIntosh MC-60s, a citiation II, some single plate 2A3s, an 8B, a 399, model 1s, etc...thank god my wife "helps" me control this tendency...regards, tony

I fall in love with each piece of gear that lands on my bench. After nursing them back to health they become like children. Alas, the OTHER Dr. Risinger has a rule: "Off the bench and out the door." She saves me from the poor house.

DR BILL16.gif

"Which Reference model did you have?"

Georg, the RF-7s were the first set of Klipsches I bought and they are now with my sister.

"I want some brook amps, a 7C, some McIntosh MC-60s, a citiation II, some single plate 2A3s, an 8B, a 399, model 1s, etc..."

What are you waiting for, Tony? 9.gif.