Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

whell

I got 2 Monarchy SM70 Pro's hooked up to the pre-outs of my Marantz receiver. Lately, an audible buzz, sounding kind of like a ground loop humm, but probably more an RF noise, has been coming from my right channel. Here's what I've tried so far to track it down:

- disconnecting, then reconnecting everything one piece at a time

- cheater plugs

- changing power cords

- changing interconnects

- changing speaker wire

- moving amps

- moving power cords

Incidentally, I do not have cable hooked up to my system, just a good old fashioned rooftop antenna.

So far, nothing seems to abate the buzz. Its always been there at a very low, tolerable level. But now its louder and a bit annoying.

Any thoughts on how to correct this??

Thanks!

Its very likely that your Monarchy SM70 Pro's are picking up and amplifying digital noise received from the Marantz A/V Receiver. Not sure how you can totally eliminate it. Pay close attention to the routing of wiring and cables, that may help to minimize it some, but digital noise is a fact of life for some A/V receivers. Nice amps.

Good luck.

if the buzz stays the same, it is a ground loop.

++++++++++++++++++

Last summer I swapped out a Dish network HD satellite receiver for a Cable HD receiver by Motorola.

Nasty loud ground hum.

Put a cheater plug on the 5 channel Sherwood Newcastle power amp and it wne away.

Sometimes sources can influence an incompatibility.

Could be a household device recently installed on the same circuit.

CLock

refridgerator

baby monitor

toaster oven

Ugly issues to debug.

As Mark said.

If you can short the inputs to the amplifier, that would be a good idea. (wait a minute: if this is an audio/video amp, you'll have a million inputs on the thing. Forget that! I'm thinking about a strictly music amplifier with just a couple of inputs). If this is part of an HT system, is there a chance you all might have a light on a dimmer switch for ambient lighting? If so, those dimmers can cause nasty buzzing, too. Fluorescent lights can also cause buzzing. Maybe check to see if you have any such lights that might be on at the same time -- fish tank, maybe?

Check (ALL) connections. Check to make sure that the outer barrell on you RCA jacks are making good contact with their counterparts on the components. If they are a little wobbly, you can put tension on them with careful use of long nose or similar pliars. The cable itself can fail, as well. There may be a poorly grounded shield on one end or the other, depending on how your cables are shielded. If you can, even check the connections on the speakers crossovers and individual drivers. If the amp is close to the TV, try moving it a few feet away. My good sounding by kind of hyper-active-grid AE-1 preamp used to pick up a buzz from TV related grunge. This doesn't sound like ground loop hum to me....

Good luck! You'll get it with patience and persistence! 1.gif

Just a quick simple thing which may or may not have a bearing.

On one of the amps I had years ago (a Yamaha I think) I remember it having an input for a microphone with its own volume control. With no mike attached if the volume was at anything other than zero there was a constant bussing from one of the speakers.

Might be worth a check - could be something as simple as that...

What bothers me is that you're only hearing it out of one channel. I would start by swapping interconnects between the amps and Marantz to see if the buzz moves to the other channel -- if so, you might have a cap going in bad in one of the Monarchy's.

I have tried both moving speaker cables and interconnects from one amp to the other. I've also tried different speaker wire and interconnects. Starts to sound more and more like it is the amp, I think. 8.gif

I would get the amp out of that system immediately. I once had an amp start doing that, and when the cap finally went, it leaked straight DC into the speaker. The woofer then began to smoke, and finally burst into flames. I had to drop kick the speaker into the front yard to make sure the house didn't burn down.

----------------

On 3/17/2004 11:51:54 AM DeanG wrote:

I had to drop kick the speaker into the front yard to make sure the house didn't burn down.

----------------

SO did you get it through the goal posts for 3? hehehehehe

----------------

On 3/17/2004 11:51:54 AM DeanG wrote:

I would get the amp out of that system
immediately
. I once had an amp start doing that, and when the cap finally went, it leaked straight DC into the speaker. The woofer then began to smoke, and finally burst into flames. I had to drop kick the speaker into the front yard to make sure the house didn't burn down.
----------------

I bet you were blasting Mudvayne !!

Dean. That's two fires that we know of. I'm suprised your wife hasn't taken away your stereo license and limited you to a Walkman so the only thing you can fry is your own brain!2.gif

My plumbing license is still on suspension because of a wee, little mishap several years ago. I'm trying to talk her into giving it back. I've got projects all dreamed up!3.gif

A little water damage you can fix, it's the fire and water damage that's a birch!

Rick

hi,

I can't understand why if a capacitor fail speakers can damage...

if it was a transistor amp without some protection at output if e transistor fail probably dc current flow in to it and in to speakers and can damage the speakers ( but i know some ss amplifier have a protection for this).

But a tube amp have a transformer if dc flow in the primary stage can't pass in output stage, and also if pass to output stage the 0 i think is to ground, why current must flow in to the speakers that have higher resistance and not short to ground?

giribaldo

Sounds suspiciously like a bad capacitor in the power supply. If it is, it will only get worse until it fails completely. It may actually blow up (been there, done that), who knows... It could take out a bunch of stuff when it does, including your speakers. There is little that a fuse can do to save your speakers as they rarely blow fast enough for catastophic equipment failures, in my opinion.

DM

Well, I really didn't drop kick the speaker -- my buddy Scott held the door open and I heaved it out into the snow. He was laughing his *** off. Since I was broke at the time, I wasn't laughing.

The speakers were original Advents, the amp was the G.A.S. Son of Ampzilla, and the song was Supper's Ready by Genesis.

Besides the flame up with the Canary, I've actually had two with the QUADs as well. Leave it to the Brits to send amps to the U.S. rated for 115v. I'm waiting on a mod kit right now to remedy this, but in actuality -- I haven't had a problem since replacing the bias resistors with the Kiwamis from Percy.

I like to keep things exciting over here.

hehehe...

my amp (tube) is not dead....

it have some hum and buzzzz.....

not so much but at 2 meter i can hear....

the hum and buzzz...

when i hear music is not a problem, but is there.

i wait my scott 222C to hear if it is more quiet,

but i think some noise on tube amp are normal...

Why...

because the circuit is so simple renspect modern solid strate amp...

no filter (like we know today and little feedback.

at end .... some capacitor some resistor .... some tubes....

the less is the best... yes but if the less let it pass all the best of music

i think let it pass also the worst of music...

for exemple i love The album Dire Strits (the first) and there is so much noise in the start of the album.... and much more with tube amp,

it seem microfonic noise, but even if with tube amp is much more, i love hear with tube. it sound beautiful.

Audiofile people sometime hear only 1 kind of noise, the noise that come from amp when music is starting or end or is low level... why i must put my ear 1 feet from tweeter to hear noise???

yes there is noise. THERE IS

but if i sit and hear the music that noise is not problem and music is much better than ss amp. also with chinese tube amp WITH chinese tube inside!~!!

WHY??? until some month ago i thought ss amp was the best specially new model of amp. i' m electronics ( computer and microprocessor) and i thought that more you work on signal and best is result....

i was WRONG no operational amp no work on signal can make good signal from worse source.... i can wor and rework on signal but every stage the signal will be flat more than before, i will not have Hummmmmmm

Buzzzzzzzz and other but i cut also some part of signal that was that one that make me feel so happy when I hear muwsic with my Chinese tube amp and tomorrow (i hope with help of craig also wit my scott 222C)

And in the end the first are speakers!!!!

for me the RF7 are the best speakers i Heard until now, i love them and i think i could live without some beautiful amp but NOT without my RF7

giribaldo