Pipe Organ Reference CD recommendations needed

Daddy Dee

This is my dad's residence 19 rank pipe organ built in '84 with new and used parts. The wooden flute pipes have the black stopper handles that move the "plunger" inside up or down for tuning purposes (and for the speaking length of said pipes). The metal flue (principal) pipes are open, so their full length is their speaking length as well. They have tuning collars on top that slide up and down to adjust their individual pitch.

open-stopped.jpg

post-11084-13819253541154_thumb.jpg

The pic below is of an 8' English Trumpet (with the bottom extention of the 16' Contra Bassoon behind it). Reed ranks are tuned by tapping up or down on the thin tuning wire you see protruding from the pipe's boot, just below the resonators (that flare out like horns).

DSCN0424_a12.jpg

post-11084-13819253542704_thumb.jpg

Forrest mentioned the Dorian label (Dorian.com); you will find lots of fantastic digitally recorded organs played by Jean Guillou. One of my personal favorites is:

"Modest Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition/Igor Stravinsky: Three Dances from Petrouchka", transcribed for organ by Jean Guillou (Dorian, DOR-90117).

-----

HOLY you know what!

On this recommendation I ordered this disk. It will blow you away! It is a technically splended recording (DDD) on a splended organ played by a splendid organist.

It will make many friends for Klipschorns, pipe organs, and Mussorgsky. Now you purists, don't scramble your eggs! Don't forget that the orchastral rendition was ALSO a transcription. So why not for pipe organ?!

My 6BG6 Williamsons (20 W. x3 ) ran out of steam! In the dark I could see the erie blue haze that they make start to flicker!

This is a MUST HAVE. You can order it on line from DORIAN

cserve@dorian.attmail.com. $19.99 including shipping.

Trust me on this one.

DR BILL

Glad you like it! An exceptional performance on an exceptional instrument.

But now I'm really concerned...when I finally receive my 8 WPC 300B SET amp, will it too, run out of steam with this and all my other organ recordings? Will I have to listen to all my organ CDs at whisper-quiet levels with my Cornwalls? Guess my 100dB+ levels will soon be over!8.gif

The short answer is "yes", they will wuss out. The good news is that "normal" recordings will be as good as it gets.

I have a couple of MARK III's on my bench right now. I expect at 60 W each, they will be a nice replacement for my Williamsons.

Maybe, in your case, it wont have to be either/or. Why not have SET's for some things and PP beef for others? Just a thought! Some people have White Jetta Diesel station wagons AND Red Miata's. Ask my wife. (Or, maybe don't!)

DR BILL

----------------

On 3/23/2004 11:09:57 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Those 32' Open Diapasons are from the large Midmer-Losh concert organ in Atlantic City, NJ ca. 1930s (I think). The man on the left is holding one of the smallest pipes from the same rank; it's a bit bigger than a pencil!

----------------

Damn... I'm impressed!

DrBill, I was also amazed when I got my dorian recording of the Bach organ works performed by Jean Guillou.

When he says trust him on this organists abilities, he means it. The registrations used are sweet indeed. I'm going to order the Mussorgsky disc in just a few.

Forrest

Forrest, I only know that because I've seen that same picture in one of my dad's old organ building books from the late '60s.

Glad to hear you're also gonna order that Dorian CD. If you like orchestral works transcribed for organ, then you're gonna love "Pictures".

I've thought about 2 different power amps, but it'd be a drag disconnecting one for the other depending on the music.

Ol' Jean puts a twist in his registration selections. It's not always the typical sounds he chooses for a certain piece like more traditional organists...he'll use reed stops where flute stops would normally appear, and he uses way more mutation stops for added harmonics. Quite impressive if you ask me. That's what attracts me to his playing style; it's original, and adds a more modern sound to some very old compositions. I like it, and seems a few of you do, too!2.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Might I suggested Chris Elliott playing the Mighty Wurlitzer in Shea's Theatre in Buffalo. There are two wonderful CDs and the mighty 32' diaphones keep everyone awake. LOL!

Theatre Pipe Organ at its finest.

Actually, the finest theatre pipe organ I ever heard was in the now gone New York Paramount Theatre. It was a style Fox Special 4-36.

Best,

Craig

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention!

DSCN03781.jpg

Marvel, yes, and yes!

It's the 2 manual/19 rank G. Tidwell & Sons Opus 1 our dad built for our house back in '83. The entire instrument is installed inside a sealed organ chamber inside the 2 car garage (needless to say, we can't park our cars in it anymore).

The black brass plaque is a photo my bro took years ago and posted on his website. It's a work in progress, and he eventually wants to update his site and write a short description of the instrument and the process of building it from new and used parts, and the installation inside the house.

It's not the Radio City Music Hall WurliTzer in NYC, but it'll do...

post-11084-13819253544894_thumb.jpg

I have a quick question about the pipe organs- why would that bottom c be tuned to 16 hz, which is generally recognized as being a frequency that is inaudible to human beings? I always thought that the bottom limit was 18-20 hz. Are k-horns really capable of hitting notes that low? That's really impressive! Most subs can't even hit notes like that.1.gif I personally prefer works by Bach, my all-time favorite from the late baroque period.

Only the lowest C organ pipe that can speak a 16 - 18Hz tone (3 octaves below middle C) is a pipe with a physical speaking length of 32' from its mouth to its top. And you can definately hear those 16 cycle beats per second when this pipe is being played, along with a rumbling feeling in your gut! I'm no sound engineer, but I assume what we actually hear are also second and third order harmonics when this pipe produces its tone, but I could be wrong. I don't know if we can actually hear bass this low on Klipschorns (maybe we really can't technically; could be the bass content we do hear are those higher harmonic structures at 30Hz, which drop off sharply in output after that...I dunno)!

I too, dig Bach, along with Buxtehude, Vivaldi, and many composers from the Romantic period as well (Franck, Widor, Vierne, etc.).

Sure wish our church had a pipe organ. We bought a smallish Baptist church a few short years ago, and they only used piano, guitars, etc.

We have a nice electronic organ that we just recently purchased (used), and it does quite well, but ...

Organ music is all we will use, to go along with the chant we use for our services. I suppose that we could use some real strings and horns, but there would be no room to put the musicians.

How long did it take your dad to build that organ?

Marvel

I was in the Army then ('80 to '86) while our dad built it, which took close to 3 years total. When I would come home on leave, I'd help out, but my youngest brother still lived at home at the time and helped out the most.

Our new church was designed in 1999 and the architect had pipe organ chambers prepared in the front on either side of the sanctary. But our music director is more in tune with the latest musical style, and the installation of a pipe organ was never considered. So now the Rodgers electronic organ we've had for years is hardly touched anymore. Instead of the traditional hymns that I prefer, the congregation seems content with a "band" with guitars, bass, a drum kit, while the music director performs on a Yamaha keyboard! Needless to say, I'm not impressed...