Pipe Organ Reference CD recommendations needed

Daddy Dee

Welcome, Gary. Very auspicious first post!

I had the privilege of recording a number of great Dallas groups and individuals over a period of years. I had rather hoped to do some organ ensemble works with Camarata but moved before I had the chance. I am assuming you are familiar with them, something of a "mini" wind ensemble that became highly polished under the late James Rives Jones. Loved him, but he was the "Morton Gould" of conductors in making all sorts of racket during performances.

Robin Garner, wife of DSO clarinetist Paul, and I were working on the program when we moved to Houston. We were going to do it at the Church of the Annunciation, Lewisville, which has the finest acoustics of any building in the DFW area, IMHO, and the magnificent, if moderately sized, Garland pipe organ there. I recorded Bradley Hunter Welch (winner 3rd Dallas Int'l Organ Competition) on the inaugural of that instrument, and also a piano recital by Stewart Wayne Foster (winner 1rst Dallas Int'l Organ Competition).

I'll have to obtain those recordings you mention and I am particularly interested in the Grainger. Grainger is a greatly under regarded composer, IMHO for the same reasons as Scott Joplin in doing extremely sophisticated, but "pop" sounding compositions. I recorded a marvelous set of Grainger with the Hubbard Chamber Ensemble I still spend a lot of time with that featured a number of excellent DSO musicians including Paul Garner (clarinet) and Delmar Pettys (violin).

"Crown Imperial," along with "Pomp and Pipes," are staples around here. If you are hungry for organ and orchestra, I'd suggest hunting down a vinyl copy of the Rheinberger organ concertos. The CD reissues are lacking, but the vinyl has some real punch and power.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Horn-loaded subwoofers fit that bill nicely. However, they can be the size of a small refrigerator or of a large bookcase, depending on whether they are of conventional horn design or of tapped horn construction.

Most can be do-it-yourself, but some are also available commercially, albeit at much higher price due to the labor spent building the horns (one reason why you usually don't find horn-loaded subs at hi-fi shops).

What size room (dimensions) and what type of speakers are you planning on?

Chris

SVS is a good easy way to good bass. However, considering where most of our heads are horn loaded is, as always, going to produce the best. Especialy true for pipe organ where we are talking reproducing via a closely related way to the original source of the sound.

Dave

Running B&W 685...room is 14ft x10

I'd say that a direct radiating sub is probably your best bet, based on the size of room and type of speakers. A good direct radiator sub of fairly large diameter driver (12"+) will fit the bill. Obviously, you're looking for low frequency output below 20 Hz - and that is usually found with acoustic suspension speakers that are EQed to boost their low end. The larger the driver total area (including multiple drivers), the lower the distortion... The SVSs mentioned here will do, but also other sub manufacturers have good units.

The key is that you can pressurize the room your size with low bass, especially if you shut the doors/windows. Placing the sub in a corner will couple it to the room better and increase/smooth it's low frequency performance.

Chris

Our college dumped all of their LPs. The daughter of one of the retired music profs decided she should take them (her husband works in my department), so he hauled a lot home. I did get :

MUSIC OF JUBILEE

Bach Favorites for Organ and Orchestra

E. Power Biggs

The Columbia Chamber Symphony conducted by Zoltan Rozsnyai

I haven't listened to it yet.

Bruce

Our college dumped all of their LPs. The daughter of one of the retired music profs decided she should take them (her husband works in my department), so he hauled a lot home. I did get :

MUSIC OF JUBILEE

E. Power Biggs

Bruce

SWEET! [Y]

Good to see you Bruce.

Poor guy. I've "Hauled" records and I tend to forget how heavy they really are. But, it is almost always worth the work.

I bet it was a great score.

Dennie

MUSIC OF JUBILEE

E. Power Biggs

Bruce

If the pressing is good, you're gonna love it. One of the finest "Sheep may safely graze" I've ever heard and several other awesome arrangements. We had an AFRTS pressing of it at my station during the Viet war which is where I became aware of it. Picked up a couple of good copies since then and put it on when I want a big lift.

Dave

Hi,

Im trying to find a sub that will do justice to my large pipe organ collection with out distortion on the 32'ft stop (about 16hz) any hints?

Thanks,

Harry

We love our Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub especially for pipe organ. But it's huge and no longer available as a kit - only prefinished.

Check out Chase Home Theater's new line of sealed subs. They are getting very positive press in the forums and are quite reasonably priced. Should be the right size for your room, and they seem to dig low.

Have fun.

Rod

"Revolutionary" by Cameron Carpenter (TELARC B001DDBCWI). The Tocatta and Fugue is pretty amazing. I thought our Rhythmik sub was going to launch through the roof.

As far as reproducing low frequencies, we have four Corn IIs, the front two about 18 inches out from the corners. I listened to this CD in 2 ch stereo mode. The crossover from the Corns to the Rhythmik is 60 Hz, which calms down the Corn's inherent boominess which is aggravated by tight corner placement (hence the 18 inch gap in our front units). It also relieves some FM distortion in the woofers so there is an increased clarity to the overall sound. The Rhythmik sits about 8 inches from the inside room corner on the right hand side, next to the right hand front corner. Can't be tight in the corner since we have an uplight can right there.

The DVD that came with the CD is very interesting indeed. If Carpenter could apply that pedal footwork to a bike, he'd own the Tour de France for life.