Power conditioners

ben.

I'm looking to purchase a line conditioner, and I'm wondering what works well for people out there. It's between a Furman rack unit, Panamax or the Monster. Monster & Panamax I can buy wholesale, so that's a plus.

A few years ago before I upgraded to a new 200 amp service I was having trouble with with the current coming out of the wall socket--at times it would drop to 100-105 volts which caused my CD player to start humming like a banshee. At this same time I heard about a new product from PS Audio called the "Power Plant." It was EXPENSIVE--at that time it was about $850, but they were offering a money-back guarantee so I ordered one. The Power Plant P300 put out enough juice to power not only the CD player, but my preamp and turntable as well. It generated a PERFECT 117 volt at 60hz. BINGO--problem solved! But I also noticed that my turntable LOVED the prefect current as well--the AC synchro motor thrived! And the noise floor was lowered enough for me to hear a difference as well.

The P300 is still in my system some 4 1/2 years later and I have to say the price was CHEAP considering the benefit. I think they cost about $1200 today and they DO NOT put out enough power to handle your amps, but I don't think this is a big deal.

I have to also add that I had tried other "conditioners" over the years and found that every single one of them robbed my system of dynamics. Not so with the PS Audio P300.

Guest Anonymous

Allan, thanks for the info. 'm gonna check em out. they come up often on audiogon, but I see your point on buying new so I can try it out and see if I can hear the difference..12.gif

I have a Panamax 1000+ on eBay right now I just upgraded to the 5100 myself. It does a fantastic job and provides me the ability to turn on all my other components by just turning on my preamp by using the 12V trigger. How nice is that. I think Smilin needs the expensive AC Regenerator model which is probably still cheaper than having the whole house electrical service reworked.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 1:51:22 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The Power Plant P300 put out enough juice to power not only the CD player, but my preamp and turntable as well. It generated a PERFECT 117 volt at 60hz. BINGO--problem solved! But I also noticed that my turntable LOVED the prefect current as well--the AC synchro motor thrived! And the noise floor was lowered enough for me to hear a difference as well.

----------------

I totally agree with this. It regenerates pure sine wave power. Unfortunately, the price the last I looked is about where Allan says it is. I only use it to run my CD player, DAC, turntable, and tape decks, but with GREAT, undeniable sonic benefit. I didn't find much advantage for the preamp, but don't have great voltage variations. Be aware these use perhaps twice the power they generate and produce considerable heat. I believe the "300" is supposed to be its approximate maximum wattage output.

Larry

i posted this over on avs forum for someone who basically asked the same question.....

quote:

Basically I'm looking at it like this. A total solution would be a box that:

1. Protects against surges (surge supressor)

2. Protects against brownouts/voltage irregularities (voltage regulator)

3. Provides clean power free of noise

i have a couple of possibilities for you....

the first one is a line conditioner.... it takes any voltage from 87 volts to 141 volts and gives you a solid 117 volts... it is rated at 2400 watts so it will handle even power hungry amps...

there was a long discussion on a different forum and several users said that they were very pleased with it's performance...

it is the LCR-2400 from tripplite..... it is available online for less than $300...

here is the link for more info...

the second one is a UPS that includes battery backup.... if you have the power cut out, the battery will provide the power allowing you to shut down safely and/or just keep going if it is a short interuption....

it takes ac power - converts it to dc - and then converts it back to ac....so it gives you great isolation and noise reduction from ac line noise....

the following is from the tripplite website...

Tripp Lite's SmartOnLine SU2200RTXL2U on-line, double conversion UPS protects critical server, networking and telecommunications equipment from blackouts, voltage fluctuations and transient surges. Multi-use form factor occupies only 2 rack spaces (2U) in standard 19 inch rackmount configuration and includes tower stands to support upright placement. Large capacity 2.2kVA/1600 watt UPS continuously converts incoming AC power to DC power, then back to perfect sine wave AC output at 120V AC (+/-2%). Removes harmonic distortion, fast electrical impulses, frequency fluctuations and other hard-to-solve power problems not addressed by other UPS types. True sine wave output and zero transfer time offers guaranteed compatibility with all equipment types. Includes 7 outlets arranged in two individually switchable load banks. These outlet banks can be independently controlled via software interface to selectively reboot remote equipment, or shed less critical loads to extend battery runtime for more critical equipment. Battery support can be extended indefinitely through the addition of external 2U rackmount battery packs (part# BP48V21-2U). Includes slot for internal SNMP/web card, plus DB9 enhanced serial monitoring port for unattended shutdown, remote control and monitoring of UPS system and power data. Compatible with Tripp Lite's Watchdog system service software.

it is available online for just under $1,000

here is the website...

both of the above pieces have been designed for computer applications but many people have used them in audio/video applications with great success....

good luck in your search!

BTW, I'd be happy to help anybody out with getting this stuff & other accessories. Just PM me with what you're after & I'll see if I can save you some $$$. I can have it drop-shipped straight from the distributors.

On 3/25/2004 4:07:54 PM Griffinator wrote:

minn - how many amps does that tripplite handle? That's the big number for me - if it can't turn 15 amps on the amplifier out circuit (or 20 amps out on a pair of plugs), it's useless to me (and my customers)

ohm's law

VA = W

voltage X amps = watts

120 volts X 20 amps = 2400 watts

the tripplite LCR-2400 is rated for 2400 watts or 20 amps

the SU2200RTXL2U is only rated for 1600 watts or 13.3 amps..... in that case you could move up to the next size up - the SU3000RTX3U...

it is rated for a full 2400 watts or 20 amps.... it goes for a little more.... online for about $1190 or so....

http://tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2455

SU3000RTXL3U%2Ejpg

Tripp Lite's SmartOnLine SU3000RTXL3U on-line, double conversion UPS protects critical server, networking or telecommunications equipment from blackouts, voltage fluctuations and surges. Multi-use form factor occupies only 3 rack spaces (3U) in standard 19 inch rackmount configuration and includes tower stands to support upright placement. Large capacity 3kVA / 2400 watt UPS continuously converts incoming AC to DC, then back to perfect sine wave AC output at 120V AC (+/-2%). Removes harmonic distortion, fast electrical impulses, frequency fluctuations and other hard-to-solve power problems not addressed by other UPS types. True sine wave output and zero transfer time offers guaranteed compatibility with all equipment types. Includes 9 outlets arranged in two individually switchable load banks. These outlet banks can be independently controlled via software interface to selectively reboot remote equipment, or shed less critical loads to extend battery runtime for more critical equipment. Battery support can be extended indefinitely through the addition of external 2U rackmount battery packs (part# BP72V12-2U). Includes slot for internal SNMP/web card, plus DB9 enhanced serial monitoring port for unattended shutdown, remote control and monitoring of UPS system and power data. Compatible with Tripp Lite's Watchdog system service software.

1.gif

griff...

tripplite does make larger units but you would be better off buying multiple smaller units.....

the SU6000RT3UXR is rated for 4200 watts (35 amps) - needs to be plugged into 220 volts and costs over $4300 online

the SU10KRT3U is rated for 7000 watts (58.3 amps) - need to be plugged into 220 volts - you have to hardwire a separate outlet strip to it and it costs over $6800 online....

personally i would suggest the LCR-2400 (line conditioner) just for the amp and then get a UPS like the SU2200RT2UXR for all the rest of the components... that gives you 20 amps for your amp and 13.3 amps for all the rest of the equipment...all for less than $1400

1.gif

----------------

On 3/25/2004 4:38:53 PM minn_male42 wrote:

griff...

tripplite does make larger units but you would be better off buying multiple smaller units.....

the SU6000RT3UXR is rated for 4200 watts (
35 amps
) - needs to be plugged into 220 volts and costs over
$4300

the SU10KRT3U is rated for 7000 watts (
58.3 amps
) - need to be plugged into 220 volts - you have to hardwire a separate outlet strip to it and it costs over
$6800
online....

1.gif

----------------

Groovy. I got no problem installing a dryer plug in a customer's house to keep the box count to a minimum.

If they want the monster system (Triad Platinums with Wright Sound monoblocks to drive them) then I just build the massive 300 pound units that go behind the wall! 1.gif

I'm looking for elegant single-box solutions that won't kill my back! 9.gif