Why does m00n have so many damn speakers anyway?

m00n

People have asked why do I have so many surrounds. Some think it's a show-off factor, perhaps some think I have lots of money to burn (oh I don't believe me). So I thought I would post my reasons for two sets of side surrounds which may help others come to some conclusions of their own for their setup.

First and foremost, I'm not trying impress people with the number of speakers I have, I'm into impressing myself and guests with quality surround sound and great surround affects.

As some of you know I have 9 theater seats in my theater and trying to ensure that each seat has good surround affects is not as easy it it would seem. Sure it's not rocket science, but I like good surround affects for all.

The reason I wanted two sets of side surrounds was because I like having surrounds directly beside me in all seats. If the surrounds speakers are in front of the seating position, you get the illusion of a car coming at you then veering off in front of you. It does not sound like it's coming at you and passing you. You have just lost the nice immerse surround affect.

Placing the surrounds too far behind the seating position also takes away from the affect. It has the illusion of the car coming at you then all of a sudden it's behind you. Not a smooth transition of movement from front to rear. Not only that but, you loose detail, as well as volume. (depending on where you tuned the sweet spot from).

So running 4 side surrounds, a set for each of the front two rows would seem fine right? According to some of the great audio minds here on the board that's not so. Having this many speakers in this close proximity running off the same signal causes audio anomalies. You get comb affects (did I say that right?), you can end up with a muddy surround affect in the audio as well as frequency cancellations. Well, there's a predicament right? Yes. It's a trade off. Do you suffer the loss of clarity for a better surround affect for more seating positions, or do you have a better surround affect again for more seating positions at the cost of clarity for all?

If it was just me and only me who was ever going to be in the theater, it would be so easy. However when you have 9 seats to try to fill; 9 guests that you want to try to give all equal surround sound affects to as well as surround sound quality, it becomes a much harder choice. Another issue is that the seats are not jam packed together as they are in a real movie theater. If that was the case, it would be much easier to supply at all 9 seats with great surround affect. However, they are spaced a bit front to back. This makes surround placement even harder to get the balance just right. I don't worry about the back row of seats too much. My main concern is the first two rows. I want those to have the best audio experience.

My plan right now is to get my RS7s exchanged with some RC7s. I am still debating the number of surrounds. I'm leaning towards 4 side surrounds 1 rear, all being RC7s. When it's just me, or me and a buddy or me and the family, I can see turning off one set of side surrounds. However, when I have a packed house, I flip on the other set of surrounds.

The journey to audio bliss continues.

Man... wish you lived closer! I need a good movie buddy LOL, especially one with all them speakers :)9.gif

Actually with your room the way it is I don't see anything wrong with that many speakers.. I mean it's just like a miniature theater, so being like that...they have more than one set of surrounds. As for all that tech speak.. maybe they have a point, but it's all greek to me.

One thing I really like what mOOn sais... HE LIKES IT HIS/THIS WAY!!

I am always amazed at the herd following of "stereophile" magazines... Look at the advertisers for info on what is being pushed..dugh???? And what others say you MUST do in this audio world.

He obviously loves this hobby, much like myself. Too many speakers? Maybe. LOL But who cares?

This is my golf game, ok maybe even my club membership too. I love it, much like mOOn does when people come over their jaws drop and they go OMG this is just awesome!! (Like seeing HDTV, for instance, the first time, Hearing K horns..too) The key really is not to show off so much as it is to "share an experience." Only way I can explain it is when your in HS or College and you hear a album in my day (or CD today) music wise, that just clicks with you big time.

That is what it's all about!!

Makes me think the multiple surrounds much like in a movie theater are a neccessity too. OMG 9.1 sound?? LOL.. OK, here comes 2 more speakers hun!!

Thanks guys! And that's the thing, how often do we hear, "If it sounds good to you, that's what counts" or sayings close to that.

Wheelie, I know what your saying about sitting back and just enjoying. But i have a few things left before I'll be done.

Get my RC7s in place of the RS7s

Continue working accoustic issues with artto

Then get the decor in place.

At that point my wife will tell me that she wants to move I'll have to find a new house and start all over. 14.gif2.gif

"At that point my wife will tell me that she wants to move I'll have to find a new house and start all over."

LOL. That is what we just did. We mooved last summer. Man, I miss my singing/ Karaoke room. Oh well, something to look forward to doing it a second time this summer!

m00n:

You certainly need not defend what you know from actual experience that what you are doing is right thing to do for you! I don't know if someone has criticized you in another post or what. But, if this is so, I find it a bit amazing that someone who probably has never set foot in your theater and heard how it sounds is trying to say that your methodology is all wrong! And then to try an explain their rationale based on specifications, and tests based in rooms other than yours. Who knows? Perhaps, they are correct? So what?

There are few things in life that are more personally intimate than to witness sound in a room that is yours, which totally envelops you and tugs at your emotions, because it sounds good to you. As we are told; everyone hears things differently. Sound is subjective! And, despite the fact that there exist supposed "rules and regulations" based on "testing scenarios", who is to say what is really right for you, but you? That's like somebody insisting that I like the taste of beets! How the heck would they know? "Well Sir, based on beet surveys that we've taken, 40% of the respondents said that......" Phooey! No offense to all the beet-lovers out there, but they taste still like dirt to me. 14.gif

m00n, the simple fact that you are concerned with trying to achieve as sonically perfect an experience as possible for EVERY person seated anywhere in your theater, says that you are very passionate about this hobby and deeply care for your friends. Now, I ask you: How can anyone dare find fault with that? Press-on, my friend! 16.gif

-Picky 2.gif

Dayam Picky, look at you showing m00n da love. 10.gif... Nobody really atacked me persay, just questioned my motives. 1.gif. So it's that as well as to give other newbies something to think about when they try to build their theater. 1.gif

----------------

On 3/26/2004 12:00:03 PM ygmn wrote:

When you putting in some theater art?

Ya know old movie bill posters?

Maybe a popcorn machine?

Balcony?

Beer Tap?

heheheh

The question is m00n....are ya having FUN?

It sure looks like it.....

----------------

Not sure there will be posters and what not inside my theater persay. I do plan on doing some decore, but it's going to either be a regal look or a modern look.

I have a popcorn machine. Got a used one at a local popcorn supply place. Damn things are expensive. I would love ot have a kegerator... Balacony? Uh... no.

As a matter of fact, my wife was giving me lip about getting my theater done. Accusing me of never being satisfied with what I have. I try to explain to her it's not a matter of being satisfied as much as try to get the most of what I have. (well with the exception of the fact that I want to exchange my surrounds ).

It's all good!

Shine on, shine on, (your speaker) harvest m16.gif13.gifns!!! -HornEd

PS: Now, after you get those surrounds just the way you like... and mrs.m00n opts for new digs... how about building a "surround sound in the round" m00n theater for your next audio adventure? I mean something with a subteranean subwoofer... can you dig it? 2.gif

----------------

On 3/26/2004 12:47:48 PM m00n wrote:

As a matter of fact, my wife was giving me lip about getting my theater done. Accusing me of never being satisfied with what I have.

----------------

Usually when our 'better half' says something like that, its from a deep inner concern that the same thing might happen to her 8.gif

----------------

On 3/26/2004 2:03:35 PM artto wrote:

Usually when our 'better half' says something like that, its from a deep inner concern that the same thing might happen to her
8.gif

----------------

LOL.. na... Well, i dunno. Could be.

m00n... I think you have WAY tooo many speakers in your room... it must sound TERRIBLE... It'll create havoc and voices in your head... and may cause certain people to loose balance, which can be dangerous esp if on a ladder. 6.gif9.gif9.gif

ok, ok, I just had too... everyone was being soooo nice. 11.gif Just send me your spares...

Group hug? 2.gif

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

mOOn,

one thing: ITS YOUR GIG, that is all that matters, if you like then its good. But one question, when you throwin them extras away, when you do throw out in SO CAL..(oops did I type that or did I just think it.) LOL... Looks like great to me....Enjoy.