Interconnects

ssh

I recently upgraded the interconnects between the JFL 2A3 monoblocks & Cary SLP 2002 pre. They feed my Khorns. I was using Monster M 1000i & now have Sigma Retro Gold. I was hoping for a noticable improvement, & got more than expected. The same could be said for the previous upgrade to the Ms. Now I'm wondering how much better I might like another type of cable (ie. silver).

The SRGs are much cleaner sounding, more detailed. I told Jeff that it is like a great tube roll. In this way, they are not just different, but better sounding, as more of the music detail is actually audible.

What interconnects have/do you used/use? What improvements did you hear?

SSH

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ssh----You've done DB tests and been able to differentiate wire? That's interesting, you may be the first to have done so.

Did the wires have similar electrical characteristics? Obviously one could design a wire so that it effected the signal adversely and thus the sound; wire as EQ. But so far as I know nobody has differentiated competant wires in DB tests.

ssh,

I have used so many IC's in the last couple of years.

I really don't want to get into this.

I have not done any tests. I just listen to them for 6 months or so and then read something or talk to someone and the next thing I know I have changed something out in my system.

I started with Radio Shaq IC's and Home Depot speaker cable when I first bought my first pair of Klipsch (KLF20s). I hated my system. I tried to sell it. When no one would buy it I started playing around.

I changed my speaker wire to Audioquest Type 4. I couldn't believe the difference. When I was using Home Depot cable I could listen to half a CD and then my ears would hurt so bad I'd have to turn it off. I added AQ and I could listen to my system for hours. I then bought AQ CV4 and biwired my system.

I then changed my Rat Shaq IC to a pair of AQ Corals which cleaned up my system.

I then bought a pair of Heresy's, tube preamp and amp. The AQ sounded good, but kinda flat.

I changed out the Heresy's to a pair of Lascalas. I then bought Alpha Core Mico Purl IC's and Alpha Core AG1 speaker wire. That made a big difference. Sounded alive. Drums sounded like drums. Vocals were too clean.

I then bought a pair of Cornwalls.

I then was given a deal on IC's. I bought a pair of AQ Viper and Nordost Red Dawn's. The AQ were good, but sounded alittle dark. Bass was there, but the highs kinda sounded flat.

The Nordost on the other hand was was so brittle sounding. I almost was almost getting ear fatigue. I then hooked up the Nordust between my turner and preamp. I tuned between stations and let them burn in 24/7 for a week. Put them back into my system and was floored with the difference. Sound stage and depth. Could not believe it was my system.

I then decided that if the Red Dawns made that big of difference what would the SPM's sound like. I called my dealer and he didn't have any in stock, but could cut me a deal on a pair of demo Quattro Fil. I bought them and used the Quattro's between my CD player and Preamp. I rotated the Red Dawns between my preamp and amps.

Better sound. I know what people were talking about "Air" around the music. My sound stage was there but deeper. Its like my wall was moved back.

Last Friday I replaced the the Red Dawns with another pair of Quattro's. It just tuned everything in.

I will stay with this for awhile. I am waiting on a new amp to be delivered. Will they still sound good? I don't know. I am hoping.

Please do not go out and buy a pair of Quattros on my account. If you are happy with the upgrade you just made stay with what you have. Use them for at least 6 months and then decide what you don't like.

The best upgrade I made and noticed as soon as I did it was change out my AC outlets (FIM880), but I don't even what to go there.

Also remember that 75% of this board will tell your that cables and speaker wire is all smoke and mirrors. The cable companies are just ripping off people. Please believe that and don't be stupid like me. There is no difference in wire. I know I couldn't tell the difference in a blind listening test. I don't want to turn this into a flame war. I think everyone is right in what they say.

Have a good weekend. I am out of here. I'm sure this thread will be gone Monday morning when I check the board again and I will have been banned.

Danny

justification. justification. spend too much money on something & it always requires JUSTIFICATION

damn, I wish audio wasn't so much like religion!

14.gif

Hello,

I ran Monster for years; upgraded to Nordost Solar Winds, and the difference was stunning. I tried some DH Labs Silver Serpents, but with my system, it was just too bright. I've also tried Straightwire Maestros, but do not feel they are as revealing.

When I had three or four on hand at one time, I tried swapping them out, and heard differences with each and every one.

Not all components are revealing enough to allow a distinct difference to be heard, and you may not hear it on anything except the most familiar material.

If you like what you hear, ignore the nay-sayers... if they can't or don't hear the difference, that's them, and not you.

Roughly 5-8 percent of my audio budget is on cables, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

Chuckears,

You are right-on when you say that differences are nil with many set-ups.

It's typical of forum members to introduce flames where others are are simply attempting to find out more from the experiences of other Klipsers. For example, I bought a pr of patchchords for $350, including shipping, that are long enough to cut into two pairs, & I get flamed for spending too much.

Thanks, Chuck. I've gotten emails from members who don't want to post, but who have good information. That's why I started the thread in the first place.

SSH

ssh---To ask whether you can justify your claims, when such claims fly in the face of current enginering and scientific practice, is not flaming. To take a rational approach and to believe in cause and effect and to demand proof before belief is generally considered the right way to approach things in our culture.

Nor have I been discourteous.

Now it's a plain fact that among audiophiles whether or not wires effect sound is controversial. When one opens up for discussion a controversial topic one can expect.....controversy.

My experiences with wire have shown me no differences. I never heard differences going from one set of patch-cords to another and I've used dozens of sets of patch-cords. I participated in DB tests of speaker wires several years ago while I was in an Illinois speaker building club. I could not differentiate wires nor could anyone else who took part.

Ssh, right on!

I have also been flamed for my opinion on silver interconnects as being a good thing by the IT'S-JUST-A-WIRE crowd. This is to be expected. Now, I don't blame anyone from being gun-shy from all of the hype in the media concerning wires and cabling types. It remains a controvertial subject. There are alot of controversies associated with our hobby...

What I have a problem with is that the repeated opposition to the idea seems to be from the electronic engineering "class" members who have apparently been taught that wires are to be regarded as virtually lossless for electonic design purposes. Whereas that may be true for electronic design purposes, for interconnects and speaker cabling the practical application does not prove out the theoretical...

My experience has been that: HEARING IS BELIEVING. End of story, I don't care who pooh-poohs the idea. I proved it for myself, and I judge the matter on my own system in front of my audiophile friends to assure a sort of a sceptical objectivity (these guys are SKEPTICAL). They have all become believers, too.

They all reluctantly plopped down their money, simply because they heard the improvements A/B'd right before their ears. Now I doubt that any of us like the retail price demanded... I would prefer my system gear to be cheaper in price too, but those darn companies just want to make a profit at my expense!

Once you hear an improvement to your system, how can you live without it? I can't. That is why I have upgraded my system over the years.

DM

I've been using Monster (something) interconnects and have felt like they've been o.k.

Ran across someone's recommendation on the forum for Grover Huffman's interconnects. He makes two. Forget what he calls them but there is the basic and then high end silver.

I found him interesting partly because of his moderate prices and availability to accept a return for refund if not pleased.

Had ordered the basic set (a one meter pair and a two meter pair) and listened for a while. At first I thought they were better, but then decided they were different and brighter. I sent them back and Grover emailed me to see if I'd be interested in trying out his silver interconnects just as a courtesy. I told him I'd be glad to give them a listen. Just got them in the system today. They are indeed better than the first pairs. I'm actually kind of amazed at the detail I'm hearing, not just brighter. My first impression, though, is that the bass is rolled off. Tomorrow I'm going to be looking at my bass bins to make sure they are sealed up against the walls and hope for a better result here. The high end sounds fabulous, but I shouldn't be wondering if I need a sub with the Khorns.

We'll see what developes tomorrow.