To 10 rock & roll bands of all time. -- Do you agree?

m00n

Wheelman---I haven't heard everything Metallica has done, they never spurred me to that much interest. They're obviously very good at what they do but what they do doesn't send me.

No, you don't hear much lead guitar from the Ramones and that is entirely suitable.

For emotional guitar playing my favorite is Leslie West from Mountain, a pioneer heavy-metal band from the late 60s-early 70s. Fella played with lots of feeling, made every note count. I like Scotty Moore and George Harrison alot too. Man, both those guys said so much by saying so little, know what I mean?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 3/29/2004 7:09:55 PM TBrennan wrote:

Wheelman---I haven't heard everything Metallica has done, they never spurred me to that much interest. They're obviously very good at what they do but what they do doesn't send me.

No, you don't hear much lead guitar from the Ramones and that is entirely suitable.

For emotional guitar playing my favorite is Leslie West from Mountain, a pioneer heavy-metal band from the late 60s-early 70s. Fella played with lots of feeling, made every note count. I like Scotty Moore and George Harrison alot too. Man, both those guys said so much by saying so little, know what I mean?

----------------

I definitely know what you mean and i respect your opinions. I know some guitars that are probally some of the best ever. But they won't get the respect because they were in a power rock band (Chris Olivia of Savatage). I like the way Steve plays on Tom Petty and the heart breakers. He plays with less but it sounds like more. I remember some mountain and what about Robin Trower. Some say he was a Jimi compy cat but i think he had his own style. Everyone copied someone at one point or another. Some of David Gilmours playing is incredable with those slow bends. Do you like slide guitar? You should check out Gov't mule. Warren Hayes is awesome. A newer band with real real good talent is Big Wreck. Buy the way i don't want to be burried in your pet semetary. I love that tune.

Wheelman---You know I never thought Trower was a Hendrix imitator either, I didn't understand that view at all. I thought Dewar was an excellent bassist and a MOST excellent singer.

The guitar solo on "Comfortabley Numb" is one of the finest ever and my favorite thing by Pink Floyd.

I also like the simple, repetitive solo on the Sex Pistol's "EMI", a solo I think might have been inspired by John Fogarty's ripper on CCR's "Sweet Hitchhiker".

John Fohgerty is literally one of my favorite guitarist singers of all time. That dvd he has is out of this world on the money. I love it when John says excuse me if i make a mistake we'll just go in the studio and fix it like all those other wise crackers. And it sounds so perfect. It also seems like some of the simplest riffs are the best. But to make them up in your head is a different story. It may be easy to play but lets see who can make it up.

I want you guys to listen-

Listen Well and listen carefully-

The DEFINITIVE ANSWER FOR ALL TIME ROCK BANDS IS (yes I am YELLING)...

WHOEVER I SAY.

However; I must caveat my answer with..a bit of large print

WHENEVER I SAY IT. (since I seem to have this decisive disorder and my answers vary largely with the phases of the Moon)

P.S. Griff- Radiohead 14.gif, Hey It's one of those bands that I "Just don't get"....including Tool/A Perfect Circle.

P.P.S-

How could anybody take 50+ years of music and distill into a list of 10? 20? 50? 100?

Half the Fun has been the evolution!

P.P.P.S - English majors - I do realize that caveat is not a verb. However; since verbizing nouns is as popular as Grande Mariacio Lattes with extra foam, I should be forgiven.11.gif

Of course, I am sure everybody realizes it is NOT simply which band we love the most that matters in the rankings, right? It is an elusive measure of influence that should determine the final selection.

In that regard, longevity might play an important determining factor. It is possible that a brief appearance by a band might alter the sound of the rock n roll forever, and earn the band a slot in the top ten, but it is more likely an enduring group would have greater influence. The top ten bands should NOT be simply who we like the most (should it?). It should be who changed the music.

In that same regard, I never really liked Jimi Hendrix, but in my opinion, there is no denying the powerful influence that he had on the sound of rock n roll (OK, maybe he was only carrying on the radical new methods of the Chuck Berry tradition), but all of the hard rocking guitar players who came after him now had their experimental horizons widen by his influence. They could try whatever they wanted. Clapton, as in Eric, is awesome guitar player. But influential? I am no so sure.

2.gif

Yes Colin, it is all about influence. When being asked to distill thousands of acts in such a genre to just 10 finalists, the only way to separate the stratospheric from the very good is influence.

I find it very difficult to argue with any of the selections on that list, and that is a very welcome change. Problem is, this is like potato chips - betcha can't eat just one (or ten, in this case). Also of note, it is very different to see the Grateful Dead on such a list - recognition that is far overdue. While many will brush them off as stoners who couldn't carry a tune, thier INFLUENCE on the current rock scene is undeniable - a formerly underground, but now very huge, lively scene of bands who are becoming the new torch bearers - a scene that is making radio (and to a great extent, music piracy) a non-issue. THAT'S what I call "truly changing the face of music".

I disagree totally-

Music is a personal thing, We all respond to it differently. So, In my Simple Mind(s), Do the choices of the media appointed critics, audiophiles, and other so called experts define what "the best is/are"? No Way!

I have yet to see a barometer or a richter scale which was able to accurately able to determine the value of anything of a musical, literary or social nature.

It's a matter of taste, and personal preference.

Bullwinkle Rules!

P.S. Longevity is not a measure of Quality.

Case in point...I've been on the boards for over 2 years now..

9.gif

P.S. Wheelman- No Doubt? I really haven't heard much from the band, but I wasn't impressed with what I heard. Thanks for asking my opinion though.2.gif

Maybe you're crackin' wise but there are some good bands there Anarchist. Journey and REO were superb live acts and much more intense than many would think.

In 1977 my band opened for Golden Earring at the Rialto in Joliet. Their singer told me he never expected to see a punk band in Joliet Illinois. :-)

Hey Tbreenan,

Yes, a few of those were being funny but all offered a 'great' song at one time or another. Several were awesome bands in concert. For myself, to list a top ten of all time seems damn near impossible particularly with the definition being so open.

Influential - quite a few of these and for the most part I don't particularly want to listen to more than a few songs.

Live performances - have seen many a 'great' band in concert but just sitting around listening to some of their albums sucked.

Longevity - even crap can stick around for a long time; the Rolling Stones come to mind. No offense to anyone who likes them.

I guess my approach would be what 10 CD's would I grab if they were all I could listen to for the next 10 years. My list would contain:

Black Sabbath

Deep Purple

Pink Floyd

Guns n Roses

Rush

Metallica

Jewel

Ozzy Osbourne

Neil Young

Queensryche

Edit: Damn. Some of these that didn't make the list would cause considerable angst if such a scenario as mentioned above ever arose:

Motley Crue

John Lennon

Meatloaf

The Eagles

Jethro Tull

Creed

Seven Mary Three

Bob Marley

Tom Petty

Ted Nugent (hmmm, this definitely might have to make the above list)

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Led Zepplin

Neil Young and Crazy Horse

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Crosby Stills Nash and Young

The Greatfull Dead

The Beach Boys

Jefferson Airplane

The Mamas and the Papas

The BeeGees

Pearl Jam

Nirvana

REM

Bon Jovi

U2

The Police

Dire Straights

Heart

Jethro Tull

ZZ Top

Lynyrd Skynard

Bruce Springstein and the E Street Band

The Eagles

Kansas

So if EVERYONE posts their top 10 we can see who gets the most hits in a compiled Klipsch bbs top 10. I could post a bunch of obscure bands that are important to me but I'll try to stick with the more "mainstreamy" bands.

Disclaimer--->The first list will be a non-serious, comedic list to invoke laughter and recollections of how bad music can be. Please do not email me wanting to trade Foghat bootlegs. Just in the minute I've typed my disclaimer I've decided to just make this the worst 10 rock bands/singers ever.

1-Lynyrd Skynyrd-pedophile drummer.

2-Focus-did they yodel in every song?

3-Jimmy Buffet-I wanna jam that cheeseburger up his a@@!

4-Nu-Metal-all of it.

5-Post Garage Days Metallica-It's just bad. They should've all died in that bus accident and left a few great albums.

6-All those bands that have that ONE song on FM radio(I'm assuming they do since I don't listen to the radio) that is trendy to listen to for a few weeks. They have names like Taking Back Saturday, Thrice, Maroon 5, Switchfoot, Sweatbag...you know the types.

7-Attila-Billy Joel in straight-up berzerker viking garb?! I think he had a helmet with horns and a fur loin-cloth. Actually Attila kind of ruled. Maybe I should have them on my real list.

8-Michael Bolton-He used to rock so hard with his awesome band called Blackjack. What happened to the Bolton we used to love? It's a shame really. He is such a soulful and authentic r 'n' b singer.....FOR ME TO POOP ON!

9-All those so-called punk bands that spend $2,000,000 recording their songs of angst and rebellion in state of the art recording facilities. They're albums are slicker than snot on a doorknob. That ain't punk. Blink-182, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte...all that stuff just licks.

10-Marilyn Manson-He/She/It is NOT goth kids. "Goth" people who wear Marilyn Manson and Slipknot shirts wouldn't know Bauhaus from the Bangles.

My "Keepin' It Real" List(in no order)

1-The Beatles-surprise surprise.

2-Pink Floyd-typical ex-stoner response.

3-Led Zeppelin-You probably think I'm a hippie by now.

4-The Clash-I'm not.

5-Sleater Kinney-Now ya'll are scratchin' yer heads. Who?

6-The Pixies-Surfer Rosa is the best rock record ever. If you don't own it you simply do not rock.

7-Big Black-Longevity does not overpower talent and influence.

8-Black Sabbath-The earliest childhood musical memories I have are of me and my Mickey Mouse record player dressed up like the cover of Paranoid and singing along to it circa 1974. I was 3 and 4. I even wore a helmet and shield. Maybe that's what's wrong with me.

9-Kraftwerk-Changed my idea of what a "band" should/could be.

10-honorable mentions can go to a slew of bands I love such as Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Built To Spill, Mazzy Star, My Bloody Valentine, Faith No More, pre-Hagar Van Halen, Beastie Boys, Parliament, Sisters Of Mercy, Sex Pistols and Neutral Milk Hotel.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 2:53:10 AM wheelman wrote:

and by the way the guy from white stripes sucks on the guitar his music is ok but to beat out Eddie Van Halen is ludacris mOOn. Did you know Eddie was a prodigy on the piano when he was young he moved her from a different country and was a boy genius on the piano and was picked on constintly from other kids for being foreign.

----------------

Yeah I about crapped a brick when I seen that.. Absurd. And now that you mention it, I think i remember that eddy was very good on the piano... Didn't know he got picked on though.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:26:24 PM cluless wrote:

I disagree totally-

Music is a personal thing, We all respond to it differently. So, In my Simple Mind(s), Do the choices of the media appointed critics, audiophiles, and other so called experts define what "the best is/are"? No Way!

I have yet to see a barometer or a richter scale which was able to accurately able to determine the value of anything of a musical, literary or social nature.

It's a matter of taste, and personal preference.

Bullwinkle Rules!

P.S. Longevity is not a measure of Quality.

Case in point...I've been on the boards for over 2 years now..

9.gif

P.S. Wheelman- No Doubt? I really haven't heard much from the band, but I wasn't impressed with what I heard. Thanks for asking my opinion though.
2.gif

----------------

That's funny but i do agree with you. As for no doubt i could care if they crapped in a barn although Gwen is quite attractive. It's impossible to say what bands were the best. Their are bands that will never get hurd that are just great. You can't go by longevity or influencial.9.gif Also you can't go by talented really. Think of some of the greatest tunes were easy to play riffs. I think chemestry between the band is the most essential thing. And of course what you as an individual think is the best.

Funny... I read this thread, fully expecting to have to say "what kind of list would NOT include U2?"

Imagine my stunned surprise to find them number THREE. Heck, suprised to see them on the list at ALL.

Now I feel validated. Yes, I am THAT much a loser. 9.gif

But really now, why on earth is Mr. Marley on there? I like BM&tW and all, but a top ROCK musician?? Methinks a little PC nonsense was involved here.

Or pot.

Take your pick.

In any case, the author included LedZep, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd, thus rounding out three more of my personal Top Ten.

Very suprised, in addition, to see some of my other favorites (REM, Bruce, The Cure, Bowie, CCR, etc.) in the "honorable mentions".

So... For once I can't complain TOO much about "yet another top ten list".

----------------

On 3/29/2004 6:57:21 PM wheelman wrote:

Metallica does have a sense of blues on the load and reload albums. They have melody slamming riffs. That are articulate and tight. They do have their Pagan styles but that is the beauty of some of it. You obviously haven't heard Kirk Hammett play some of the most emotional leads you will ever hear. The Ramones Do? C'mon i like some of the ramones but they are way lamer.

----------------

Melody? You call that melody? Crikey!

Kirk Hammett was a decent guitarist right up until he quit tooting. You listen to his lead "chops" nowadays - they're the same licks he used to play, only now they're a l o t s l o w e r

Oh - and St Anger is the biggest joke in the history of metal. Absolutely unlistenable noise. My best guess is that Bob, James, and Kirk got together and decided that they would piss off the old Metallica fans once and for all by releasing an album that wasn't "commercial" or "radio friendly", but was absolute dogcrap compared to the finest metal album of all time, Master of Puppets.