overwhelming midrange from my cornwalls

ramair455

hey

i have had my cornwalls for a month or so now and am really struggling with the overwhelming midrange the horns are producing. im aware that the room they are in is smaller than is ideal, and also that my cd player and reciever are not a perfect match for the cornwalls, someone on another forum mentioned that the crossovers have different soldering points and that i may be able to change the way they are hooked up and put a capacitor in and lower the midrange output by 2 - 3 db... this sounds like a mod i would like to try because short of the overwhelming mid i love my cornwalls, but at this point my ears are fatiguing after just ten or so minutes at higher volumes,

any help on this is appreciated

thanks

b

Ram air

In my experiance, most people who complain about there Heritage sounding harsh or worse, I have found there receiver, preamps, amps or something else upstream, like Jmon is pointing out, 99.9999% of the time is the problem.

I would borrow another amp and or preamp before making changes to the crossover network.

JM

hey guys

i have tried a different reciever with little difference. i have a yamaha rxv793... 80 wpc, 1998 vintage, i also have a late 70,s luxman r 1050 60 wpc i believe, my cd player is a likely culprit as it is about a 1988 technics.... my room is also a potential problem as i have hardwood floors but my other two pairs of speakers sound fine in that room and the thing is that the imaging is good and the bass response is good though a little boomy its just that the midrange is way too strong... if i partially cover the midrange horn to me they sound much nicer.... help !!

There's no getting around the fact that corns or any other heritage line speaker is going to sound that way in that room with that amplification. I don't want to start a tubes vs SS discussion but.......

What are your other speakers? I would guess they're not horn loaded.

Any chance of auditioning tubes?

hmmmm

not sure what you mean buy polarity...if your asking if the positive and negative wires are hooked up correctly im certain thet they are. as far as tube vs solid state goes im aware of the difference that will make but i beleive that cornwalls were sold , at least in 1984 , for the most part to be used with solid state gear. perhaps both my recievers are not a great match for these speakers, still it seems odd to me that they could sound so well with my other speakers...so back to my crossover question.

Hi

How about trying and replace all these modern type crossover capacitors (if your speakers are '84) with Oil ones. Definately the newer versions of Cornwall ( after 1980 ?!) used a different crossover unit with poly-something capacitors while back in the 70s they used oil caps. I had a pair of each 76 and 84 Cornwalls and the later were very bright ( I sold them). I exchange the original oil caps in my 76s with Jensen oil and I am very happy.

I use tubes on the otherhand.

cheers

george

Hello Ramair - some of this just doesn't jive. I am one of those that thinks you should be just fine with the recievers used - yes there is a difference with amplification and the Yammies tend to be more bright (harsh in some folks terms) with certain source material. In my experience the mids are some of the best parts of the cornwalls - especially with the help on the bass with a reflex design that makes the crossover from LF to mid really nice. In my experience Yammies tend to punch on the tweeter instead of the mid driver.

So _ I'll agree with some - See if that woofer is doing good duty. Also be sure it is not the tweeter that is the shrill culprit. and lastly, try different angles for the speakers in the same spot - that is turn the speakers in/out by various degrees with out changing the relative position of the speaker - and see if there is a noticable difference (if so you may have a highly reflective room). The final lastly, work the tone controls gradually (start with one - either bass or treble) in each direction and see where your harshness disappears - this could give you an inkling if there is a speaker or driver problem.

As a last resort - if you can't get them to sound like you want I'll pick them up for free and save you the trash hauling costs 2.gif

A gripper is a furniture pad thing from walmart like 1-2 inches in diameter in hardware area...it hooks the speaker up to a smooth floor like yours,,,i put them on my LaScalas ans Cornwalls,,,the metal sliders are on there for factory ...they push the speakers around at the factory.....anyway,,,,,you will notice a lot better sound if you try them,,,put on one speaker first to confirm it ,,,,rick

----------------

On 3/29/2004 9:29:52 PM DrWho wrote:

how's the polarity on your speakers? if they're out of phase, you'll lose the low end which in turn makes them sound harsh and midrangey. are your woofers working?

----------------

Bought a pair of lascalas off ebay about 18 months ago and was disapointed in there sound compared to my older 76 lascalas. Thought it might be the newer crossovers, the 76's had AA's. When I bought a pair of AA's from a member of the community and installed them they still didn't sound right. Started cleaning the connections to the speakers and discovered that someone had swiched the leads on one of the squawkers so one was out of phase. Switched them and great.

What I'm trying to say is check inside your speaker and make sure someone hasn't goofed something up inside.14.gif

There are a number of posts dealing with Cornwalls, both here and in the 2 channel forum. Just try the search engine.

Suggestions include:

a) get a tube amp/preamp combo or an older integrated tube amp

B) get a better cd player

c) use rope caulk on the squawker, the amount varies depending on who you talk to and their room

d) replace the caps in the crossover, 1 - 2.0 uF and 1 - 4.0 uF

e) replace the inductors in the crossover, 2.5 mHy solid wire inductor

f) replace the internal wiring

g) use rope caulk on the braces for the woofer

The cheapest solution is c. It will help, but you are still limited by the amp and cd player. The Cornwalls will tell you where the weak links are in your system in all their "ear spliiting" accuracy. With the right setup, they are a great set of speakers. Caps will be $8 to $22 each for quality parts. Check some of Dean's posts or one of mine in the past two weaks that mentioned the caps that Dean likes. Al K. recommends Hovlands for the 2.0 uF cap. Solen solid wire inductors, 12 awg are in the $40 range, each. 14 awg is cheaper. As you may know, caps are an issue of discussion, as are most things that can be controversial.

I have done all of the above. The inductors first, then caps, internal wiring and finally a Scott LK-72 integrated tube amp. While all the other solutions were an improvement in producing more detailed sound, the tube amp was the best addition. Klipsch Heritage loves tubes.

We all have opinions!

And then there are those people that think that Klipsch 'Heritage' speakers are by their nature, bright.

Most people here think the same. Witness the constant mod and tublification threads.

Some people just don't like the sound of horns.

Keith

ok

well, yes i do have a ramair455, as far as serial numbers im not sure where to look but the factory stickers on the back have been removed, also im interested in this rope caulk thing, can someone walk me through how you do it.it doesnt look like the back of my cornwalls is removable so im guessing that if im doing anything inside ill need to go through the front.all this advice is great, thanks guys. i love the speakers and agree that they are very revealing, im just trying to get this midrange under control... i was listening at high volume again tonite and could actually feel that midrange in my inner ear...like a ringing, almost concert like, somethin aint rite.

b