Sonic diff between RC7 and RB75

m00n

m00n my NAD T163 preamp only has provisions for 7 active channels and 2 subwoofer channels. I take it you are doubling up between your HK receiver and outboard HK amp to run 6 speakers in the rear? I used to have that option when I was running my Denon AVR-4800 with the outboard amps, I did have 6 speakers in the rear. Now I only have 4, my little girl got the KG1's I was using for her stereo system.

So you are using the 2 RC-7's as your current rear speakers, and 2 pair of RS7's as your side surround/effects speakers, and the 3 RF7's as your mains & center. What speakers does the receiver send power to, and what speakers are running off the outboard amplifier. Just curious.

Yep I do remember someone saying that the RB-75's did not some cheaply, what is the next step down from the RB-75? RB-5? Maybe you could do the RB-75's in the rear and the RB-5's for the side surrounds/effects? Just a thought! Either way should be killer! Horns a Plenty!

Just got a quote for $470.00 each from Good Guys for the RB-75's. Anyone buy these and do better than that price?

Frzninvt

Yeah external H/K amp.. IT's powering my front side surrounds at the moment. BTW, my front side surrounds are RS7s, second side surrounds are my RC7s, my rears are my RS7s. I just swapped it to this configuration about a week ago. I had, had my RC7s as my rears.

I need to sell everything now. RS7s and RC7s

*update*

Just got an even better price... $450 each.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 2:14:26 PM m00n wrote:

Ok after talking to a techie. The RB-75s would be the better speaker all the way around... But damn, Spendy little buggers. I would have to sell all 4 RS7s and both RC7s just to get 4 RB-75s. Then I would not have any rears.
5.gif

----------------

look for those no interest loan thingys dealers have....wonderful....

whats better then free money?

HornEd.....

Do you have any input here? Always looking for someone to put a positive spin on things. Someone suggested that you may actually consider the RC7 to be a better option....

Thoughts?

ygmn

It's a consideration. One I'm trying to avoid.4.gif

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:48:52 AM ygmn wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:42:02 AM m00n wrote:

Na... I was going to keep the RC7s flat (horizontal). Yes dealing with mounting would be easier with RB75 and they are cheaper for sure.

----------------

If flat...then would the two on one side be the same....Ie the voice woofer (for lack of better term) be towards the front for both.,..or would you put them both in the center or both in the outside or both at the rear?

it could have an effect...? not sure what effect but an effect hehehehe

Maybe you can test drive a set of RB75 for a day or so?

Get chummy with your dealer and buy him a beer or 24 hehehe

----------------

hey! ygmn...where's MY beer!!??

seriously, you bring up a good point i also have concern for moon's plans as far as rc-7's go. when you came in w/your rc-7, it was the first time i listened to a rc-7 from only a few inches away, and i feel like your ? about the 'weird woofer-xover thingy' is very valid. i'm of the opinion that the rb-75's would INDEED sound better, but then again that "3-way 2-way" rc-7 situation MAY have benefits, or it could be a BAD thing...

how's THAT for some decisive advice!3.gif

avman.1.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:12:40 PM avman wrote:

seriously, you bring up a good point i also have concern for moon's plans as far as rc-7's go. when you came in w/your rc-7, it was the first time i listened to a rc-7 from only a few inches away, and i feel like your ? about the 'weird woofer-xover thingy' is very valid. i'm of the opinion that the rb-75's would INDEED sound better, but then again that "3-way 2-way" rc-7 situation MAY have benefits, or it could be a BAD thing...

how's THAT for some decisive advice!
3.gif

avman.
1.gif

----------------

Oh yeah... real solid advice there. 2.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:12:40 PM avman wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:48:52 AM ygmn wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:42:02 AM m00n wrote:

Na... I was going to keep the RC7s flat (horizontal). Yes dealing with mounting would be easier with RB75 and they are cheaper for sure.

----------------

If flat...then would the two on one side be the same....Ie the voice woofer (for lack of better term) be towards the front for both.,..or would you put them both in the center or both in the outside or both at the rear?

it could have an effect...? not sure what effect but an effect hehehehe

Maybe you can test drive a set of RB75 for a day or so?

Get chummy with your dealer and buy him a beer or 24 hehehe

----------------

how's THAT for some decisive advice!
3.gif

avman.
1.gif

----------------

Your beer is at Copeland's hehehehe

Really decisive answer there....I guess the question is which is the better speaker for sound effects.....Hmmmmmmm

My bet would be on the RB75 as the crossover is intended for work as a main...where as the RC is designed for work as a horizontal center....

The RB75 has the front porting...which allows for more sound to come forward inliue of bouncing off the walls....?

mM00n...do decide soon..we are dying to know which is better...and you sir are our guinnea pig hehehehe

PEACE...

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:29:08 PM ygmn wrote:

m00n...do decide soon..we are dying to know which is better...and you sir are our guinnea pig hehehehe

----------------

Guinnea pig... My ***. Don't guinnea pigs (in human form) get some kind of compensation? I want some money. Donations gladly accepted. All proceedes will be put towareds the cost of new RB75s. 9.gif.

It's not a matter of making a decision as much as it is trying to sell my RS7s and RC7s. I could put the RB75s on credit and pay it off as I sell my other stuff... But... Well... there is that problem of the voice in my head... No not my conscience, that other voice, my wife. Not sure I want to hear her rant. Definitly one of those, "better to just do and ask for forgivness, rather than "ask for permission". Asking first will yield negative results, forgivness will come but at what cost?

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:56:33 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:29:08 PM ygmn wrote:

m00n...do decide soon..we are dying to know which is better...and you sir are our guinnea pig hehehehe

----------------

Guinnea pig... My ***. Don't guinnea pigs (in human form) get some kind of compensation? I want some money. Donations gladly accepted. All proceedes will be put towareds the cost of new RB75s.
9.gif

It's not a matter of making a decision as much as it is trying to sell my RS7s and RC7s. I could put the RB75s on credit and pay it off as I sell my other stuff... But... Well... there is that problem of the voice in my head... No not my conscience, that other voice, my wife. Not sure I want to hear her rant. Definitly one of those, "better to just do and ask for forgivness, rather than "ask for permission". Asking first will yield negative results, forgivness will come but at what cost?

----------------

hehehe...ya right ...to borrow a phrase.....JUST DO IT....hehehe

ya know what ya do....hide the speakers ya trying to sell.....and then get the ones ya want....and as you sell em....move them in the middle of the night.....if she asks...say they are out of the room...hehehe not really a lie....hehehe

Good luck.....

Wish I needed speakers...but my HT/living room is full now hehehehe

Just hooked up my RC7s as to the fronts on my receiver... Wanted to hear how they sounded as 2 channel stereo.. Never listened to them like this before....

Dayam... These really are some damn nice speakers. They are so clean and accurate. I'm going to go and audition some RB75's tomorrow. If they don't blow me away, I may keep the RC7s afterall.

Part of the problem is, I doubt I will ever get the money out of the RC7s that I want and it's going to be a spendy venture to upgrade.

I'm going to go stand the RC7s up on their ends and re-listen.

I dunoooooo guys!

Flipped those RC7s up on end so they were standing proud like a tower. Had them sitting on my rears side surround column stands. Pointed them towards the font of the room, toed them in a bit. Ran them in two channel stereo (plugged my front mains into them) listened to some music, classical acoustic guitar with band.

Guys... Those RC7s are incridible and I'm not using that term lightly here either. Crisp, detailed, excellent low frequency response. I was really blown away. Up until now, I always took these RC7s for granted, not anymore. Earlier today, I was certian on an RB75 upgrade, I'm not so sure now. Not sure at all. I will go listen to the RB75s tomrrow (Thursday) and unless they blow my socks off, I'll be going with an all RC7 surround/rear setup.

I will give into two things, maybe the x-overs may not be perfect for surround dudy, but I'm willing to be that there is a x-over design that would make them perfect. Also, the rear port, well, I can cut into my walls and make some cool wall insert platforms to give them some rear port space.

Kudos to the RC7 design team! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/wink/thumb.gif'>

• Like 1

mOOn if you go with the rc-7's seeing how they kick arse. Could you set them up on small stands out from the wall a little? This would give you room to let them breath and image properlly like a hifi speaker should. STand them up like towers but ad some nice little lovan stands or something, but they will cost ya. Or just make your own out of maple.

I don't know if this matters, but the horn on the RC-7 is a 90 degree x 60 degree horn. Standing them like a tower, makes it 60x90. This would decrease the horizontal coverage. If you are planning on using 2 RC-7s per side, this may not matter. Just another issue to make your decision tougher. 1.gif

If I stick to the RC7s, I will build wall inserts and tilt the top down towards the seating area. Not sure how but thats what I plan on doing.

Mark, as far as horn? it may actually do me good... I plan on running 4. if standing up it narrows the coverate... that just may be a good thing. But hey, I could be very wrong.

I with some Klipsch technical folks would jump in.

maybe draw something looking at your floor plan...

draw in where speakers are...and then from center of speaker...draw in lines with the anlge of the horns....for the most part this would be good to estimate where the best sound is coming from the horns....so you could see with your mounting locations...where the sound is going..and seeing if you would get places where the two surrounds sound would coincide....

also in an elevation...you could predict where the sound from horn is going to be so as the outer most seats get coverage as well....

I mean this is basic but a start.....

don't overlook the way the rc-7's WORK. the way they make some frequencies come out of one woofer but not the other is definitely going to affect the sound as far as how you position them,and you may have to place one upside-down if it sounds better that way.

also the front port on the rb-75,IMO, is a MAJOR advantage!!!

avman.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 10:54:03 AM avman wrote:

don't overlook the way the rc-7's WORK. the way they make some frequencies come out of one woofer but not the other is definitely going to affect the sound as far as how you position them,and you may have to place one upside-down if it sounds better that way.

also the front port on the rb-75,IMO, is a MAJOR advantage!!!

avman.

----------------

This is why I have not made up my minde 100% yet. I know they are a center speaker, not a surround. It's a hard debate for me... I think it's going to cost about the same regardless of which way I go.... Maybe a little less if I go RC7s.

One thing that keeps coming back to my mind is, how can a speaker with one woffer and one horn sound better than a speaker with two woofers and one horn. They are clost to the same size, made by the same company... Yeah I know... someone is going to come back and give me a lot of reasons. 4.gif

How would using multiple like monopoles be different than the RS-7's? Slight angle of the horns? Maybe the angle of the horns in the RS-7's would give more coverage, kinda like using multiple monopoles. Huh? Forget the BS that some people put out here regarding the RS-7's.

If it were MY money I would call someone with no prejudice one way or the other, so as to get an unbiased opinion, without the BS.

I would start by calling Klipsch Tech Support. But then, that's me.

Keith

i am glad you spoke up,T2K,but i believe that mOOn actually TRIED the rc-7/vs./rs-7's in HIS room, and seems to prefer the rc-7's,although they aren't 'perfect' as some(who's opinion i do respect)may suggest.

as i have said before,my ksp-s6's are AWESOME in my ht room(thanks again)and they are a different design than the rs-7's,which may have something to do with it.otoh-i haven't PERSONALLY compared monopole vs. 'sound sprayers(rs-7)'in different environments. i generally recommend the rs-series as surrounds.this is based on my experience w/MANY installs,and taking into account the needs of the MAJORITY of my customers.also, i would imagine the designers at klipsch know a thing or two about how to make a speaker

2.gif

i would like to know if mOOn tried rs-7's on the SIDE with rc-7 in the back at the same time.

also,Q-man(whom H.E.refers to as his 'hero')actually uses heritage custom 'sound sprayers' in HIS over-the-top-out-of-control HT room!

the plot thickens....

3.gif

avman.9.gif