Sonic diff between RC7 and RB75

m00n

Ok, so as most of you have figured out, I'm going to exchange out my RS7s for RC7s. However, I've started to give thought to using RB75s instead.

If I took a set of RC7s and a/b'd them with a set of RB75's, what would be the sound difference?

Would the RC7 be louder?

Would the RC7 seem bigger and fuller?

Would the RC7 even make for a good surround?

I know the RC7 lists a lot more than a RB75. But why? Is it because there is more to the crossover?

Would the RC7 sound better all the way around over the RB75?

What would be the general overall better surround?

Most of all... Why can't I just be content?4.gif

Now your talking. You ever been in a theater where you seen center channels hanging on the side walls? They look like some weird style bookshelf. Maybe you will be content and it will be less of a hassle for you. And maybe it will sound way better being on axis. I am trying to sound like i know what i am talking about.1.gif

----------------

On 3/30/2004 2:28:52 AM wheelman wrote:

Now your talking. You ever been in a theater where you seen center channels hanging on the side walls? They look like some weird style bookshelf. Maybe you will be content and it will be less of a hassle for you. And maybe it will sound way better being on axis. I am trying to sound like i know what i am talking about.
1.gif

----------------

Ha... what it looks like is no biggie to me. I want audio goodness.

Now... damn... Thinking some more...

I wonder if 4 RB75s would cause less frequencie anomolies than 4 RC7s. But wouldn't a RC7 just be a better sounding speaker all the way around?

Looking at the spec for the RC7

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 45Hz-20kHz ±3dB

HF CROSSOVER: 1950Hz

MF CROSSOVER: 550Hz

Anything between 20kHz ~ 1950Hz is going to the horn... Right?

Anything between 1950Hz ~ 550Hz goes to the midrange driver.

Anything between 550Hz ~ 45Hz goes to the low freq driver.

So.... Given that it splits it's frequencies like this, is it not safe to assume it would produce a better cleaner sound? The RB75 only has a horn and one driver... That driver is pushing a lot more frequencies, which would lead me to believe it would not be as detailed and accurate... is that a safe assumption or am I off in left field somewhere?

----------------

On 3/30/2004 2:30:32 AM Darren wrote:

Can't help you with your question, but I just checked-out your home theater web-site. I am humbled - and feel a bit inadequate.
15.gif

----------------

Why?6.gif Looking at your gear you have some great stuff too! 1.gif

----------------

On 3/30/2004 2:41:40 AM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 2:28:52 AM wheelman wrote:

Now your talking. You ever been in a theater where you seen center channels hanging on the side walls? They look like some weird style bookshelf. Maybe you will be content and it will be less of a hassle for you. And maybe it will sound way better being on axis. I am trying to sound like i know what i am talking about.
1.gif

----------------

Ha... what it looks like is no biggie to me. I want audio goodness.

Now... damn... Thinking some more...

I wonder if 4 RB75s would cause less frequencie anomolies than 4 RC7s. But wouldn't a RC7 just be a better sounding speaker all the way around?

Looking at the spec for the RC7

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 45Hz-20kHz ±3dB

HF CROSSOVER: 1950Hz

MF CROSSOVER: 550Hz

Anything between 20kHz ~ 1950Hz is going to the horn... Right?

Anything between 1950Hz ~ 550Hz goes to the midrange driver.

Anything between 550Hz ~ 45Hz goes to the low freq driver.

So.... Given that it splits it's frequencies like this, is it not safe to assume it would produce a better cleaner sound? The RB75 only has a horn and one driver... That driver is pushing a lot more frequencies, which would lead me to believe it would not be as detailed and accurate... is that a safe assumption or am I off in left field somewhere?

----------------

To tell you the truth i don't like the sound of center channels. Because they are horizontal. I think the bookshelfs would be more accurate if they are tonally matched. Or get a pair of older reference to match em up.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 2:43:04 AM wheelman wrote:

I wonder why i can't get your web page mOOn. It always says unavailable or something.

----------------

Dunno what to tell you about that, I just had someone ping it for me and he got to it no problem... Must be your browser. 4.gif

"Why? Looking at your gear you have some great stuff too!"

Thanks - much appreciated. I love the idea of your fully dedicated room. I don't have the option of multiple surround speakers like you have. Just too nice.

Your site mentions a "Single RC-7" for your center, and I see that in the older photos. Looks like you've gone to a RF-7 for the center now - correct? If so, was that a major difference? Be kind and say "no" - I love my RC-7 and have no space for another RF-7 now!

----------------

On 3/30/2004 5:37:09 AM Darren wrote:

Thanks - much appreciated. I love the idea of your fully dedicated room. I don't have the option of multiple surround speakers like you have. Just too nice.

Your site mentions a "Single RC-7" for your center, and I see that in the older photos. Looks like you've gone to a RF-7 for the center now - correct? If so, was that a major difference? Be kind and say "no" - I love my RC-7 and have no space for another RF-7 now!

----------------

Couple things there Darren 1.gif.

I'm only running multiple surrunds because I have multiple rows of seating and because my room is so narrow. If I had 2 more feet on each side of the seats I would not be running double surrounds. It causes phaze anamolies and other audio issues. So more is not always better, but necessary. If you go into the archit area of the forum, I started a thread called "why does m00n have so many speakers anyway". That explains a lot.

As far as RC7 vs RF7 as my center? I'm ashamed to say this 4.gif. In the middle of all my construction was when I picked up my RF7 center. It had been a long time that my theater gear was out of the room. When I got eveything back in, I just naturally hooked up my new RF7 center. I never did an A/B test to know how much better if better it is and I could not remember how it sounded with a RC7. A perfect timber match is nice though.

Hmmmmmmmm

I would say think about this....

What sound comes out of surrounds? not much for voices....mostly sound effects....

Lots of peeps are using the RB75 for their mains and have not posted any complaints....

RB75 would be easier to mount and I think less expensive?

RB75 has front port....not rear...so they can be closer to wall...

With the RC7...since you intend to mount vertically....you would have to recgonize which woofer is set to play the "voices"...now do you put it at the top or the bottom? which would sound better?

The RC7 is suppose to be timbre matched to the RB 75 as well I beleive.....so timbre should not be an issue....

Also I think the RB 75 has a better mounting method for yout side wall

I dunno...m00n....but it seems like you could have a fun time experimenting.....

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:42:02 AM m00n wrote:

Na... I was going to keep the RC7s flat (horizontal). Yes dealing with mounting would be easier with RB75 and they are cheaper for sure.

----------------

If flat...then would the two on one side be the same....Ie the voice woofer (for lack of better term) be towards the front for both.,..or would you put them both in the center or both in the outside or both at the rear?

it could have an effect...? not sure what effect but an effect hehehehe

Maybe you can test drive a set of RB75 for a day or so?

Get chummy with your dealer and buy him a beer or 24 hehehe

I would say that the RB-75's would be a better choice for what you are trying to do. The front mounted port makes your mounting troubles alot easier for sure. Actually, since these are primarily for rear effects you could even go to an even smaller speaker than the RB-75 what is the next step down from the RB-75? You don't really need an 8" woofer do you. I know, I know who am I to talk when I use Heresy II's for that purpose what the hell am I thinking!

m00n:

I gots to agree with Frzninvt: The fact that the 75's have their port on the front makes more sense to me than trying to make the RC-7s work for your side surround application. -IMHO. I admit that I have not yet listened to RB-75's. So, I will reserve comment on A/B sound comparison with RC-7's.

-Picky 2.gif

Moon:

I really think you are on to something. After initially listening to a pair of RB-75s, I was satisfied enough with them to order a pair for use as mains with my RC-7. Of course, as you know, things change. Now, the new plan is for the RB-75s to be side surrounds with the mains being .....(stay tuned, but there is an obvious answer).

I think everyone has properly focused on the differences in the ports. Whatever advantage in performance the RC7 may have over the RB75 may be potentially offset by the advantages in front porting of the RB75s (versus rear) and the advantages in mounting. Just my two cents.

"Most of all... Why can't I just be content?"

Because you are like all the rest of us. Just like Arthur, King of the Britons, Sir Galahad the pure, Sir Lancelot the brave, the quiet Sir Bedevere, and Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir Lancelot, we are all in search of the audio grail. We do not know exactly what the "grail" is, but we will know it when we hear it!!!

Carl.

Wouldn't a rc7 mounted horizontially give a bigger coverage area, horn ed made that point I believe. I have no experience either way, I am going to use kg 1.5 for side surrounds, then maybe a 2.5 on it's side for a rear center. I would think the dual woofs would provide nice coverage. I am going this route for price considerations, ymmv.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 11:03:33 AM Frzninvt wrote:

You don't really need an 8" woofer do you.

----------------

Do you really need me to answer that?2.gif

Yeah everything points to the RB75 being the better choice for a surround, well as far as legistics go (mounting, size footprint etc.). Would not have to build wall inserts for the rear porting on the RC7... I guess it all depends on which sounds better. 4.gif

Ok after talking to a techie. The RB-75s would be the better speaker all the way around... But damn, Spendy little buggers. I would have to sell all 4 RS7s and both RC7s just to get 4 RB-75s. Then I would not have any rears. 5.gif