Sonic diff between RC7 and RB75

m00n

Keith...

I know what your saying, and in most circumstances I would stay with what you suggest, however, my case is a special one. Actually rather than re-explain it all here I can just provide you a link to another post of mine where I kinda explain it all.

My maddness

4.gif

Ok so I went and auditioned the RB75s this evening. I'm still favoring the RC7s.

The RC7s just seemed to have an all around higher quality sound. When I had the RC7s pointing towards the front of the theater and they could breath a bit the tone and quality of the bass of the RC7s seemed to better than the RB75's. Sure, the RB75's had more output than the RC7s when they (rc7s) were pushed up against the wall, but I fell that the RC7s had an overall better bass quality. It very well could be because of the port arrangement... I dunno. To be fair this was all from memory of the RC7s

I think I'm going to take in one of my RC7s this weekend and do an a/b right there side by side...

Don't take my word for it, if you are considering one or the other, you should go listen for yourself. 4.gif

Cant you rotate the RC-7 horn by unscrewing the 8 screws, turn it once to make it the same as the RF-7s since the horn is perfectly square and that is taken care of? I thought it was easy to do, that the only negative of using the RC-7 as a tower is the bottom thing on one side where the feet and stuff go, other than that I thought I read that they would make awesome tower speakers. There was a thread on this a long time ago.

m00n: Try to get the RB-75s in your home on your gear before deciding, we all know it is night and day to what you hear at a dealer. What did your dealer power them with, was it HK? Huge difference if it was another receiver, esp another brand, dont under estimate HK and the sound it has over the competition in its range. Listening to RB-75s at a dealer on a Denon or Yamaha or whatever will be way off when trying to compare RC-7s in your room with the HK 7200.

Just my two cents~

----------------

On 4/2/2004 6:16:21 AM Vital wrote:

Cant you rotate the RC-7 horn by unscrewing the 8 screws, turn it once to make it the same as the RF-7s since the horn is perfectly square and that is taken care of? I thought it was easy to do, that the only negative of using the RC-7 as a tower is the bottom thing on one side where the feet and stuff go, other than that I thought I read that they would make awesome tower speakers. There was a thread on this a long time ago.

m00n: Try to get the RB-75s in your home on your gear before deciding, we all know it is night and day to what you hear at a dealer. What did your dealer power them with, was it HK? Huge difference if it was another receiver, esp another brand, dont under estimate HK and the sound it has over the competition in its range. Listening to RB-75s at a dealer on a Denon or Yamaha or whatever will be way off when trying to compare RC-7s in your room with the HK 7200.

Just my two cents~

----------------

Can you/someone explain why rotating the horn would be a plus? What are the technical reasons? I have the star bit to do this, just curious to know the details of why.

Yes, I agree they make great towers, a highly under estimated, dissregarded, overlooked kick *** speaker!

I defintly know what your talking about with the screw holes. I had to plug them I could hear chirping noises coming out of them.

Getting them in house is never as easy as suggested. You know that. What dealer wants to let a set of speakers out of the store. 2.gif

They were powered by some 4,000.00 denon. Not sure which model. It said denon, I ignored it. 9.gif

The room itself was not bad. It was a controlled environment with a door.. Not bad but most likely not perfect either, but then neither is my theater room.

I'm chatting with bruinsrme right now, as we speak, he is listening to his brand new set he just got today... He seems to really like them. He seemed downright giddy about them.

Well I did receive a set today. They are very nice looking with the covers on, I will leave it at that.

They are much larger than I was anticipating..

The attention to detail on Klipsch behalf is very poor. One of the speakers had a deep gouge in the veneer, about 1.5 inches long and about 1/8 of inch wide. the QA inspector was either blind or working from home. What pissed me off even more it was the worst attempt at trying to fill it. Both speakers were packed the same exact way, which has lead me to believe it hed not been previously opened.

I will leave the sound quality comments out until I have time to calibrate them to my system.

A speaker with a major gouge in it should be returned; you have a right to do so.

Klipsch quality control is down. I was an early buyer of the Reference 7 package. Every piece was perfect. Now, most folks get cosmetic defects or worse it seems. Entire batches of center channels have been defective. Nothing can damage a valuable reputation faster.

Bill

SIDE BY SIDE SHOOTOUT: Klipsch 1 pair RC-7's vs. Klipsch 1 pair RB-75's

AND THE WINNER IS?

Klipsch RC-7 HANDS DOWN!

Indeed, you all may not believe me, but I did just what I said I was going to, grab one of my RC7s take it down to the local mega mart where they sell Klipsch.

The room was decent

The speakers were side by side.

The speakers were powered by the same receiver, some $4000.00 Denon

I scooted the RC7s back up against the wall to mimic my room

Put in the 80's compilation CD that Joe Schmoe gave me.

Started with the RC7s

Listened a few minutes

Flipped the switch to the RB75s

TEST OVER!

The sales rep wanted to check it out too. He gave me the controls, stood in the sweet spot, flipped back to RC7s, he got a huge grin on his face. It was satisfying knowing that I just turned him onto a new idea. He was so blown away, he opened up the door, got his co-workers attention, called him over and said, I quote "your not going to belive this, these RC7s blow away these RB75's". His partner did the A/B test, eyes got big, his mouth did the universal 6.gif.

I then asked, are you guys just saying this or what do you really think. Either way, they were making a sale they had no reason to lie or try to impress me with BS. They knew I was going to be BS's. After all I was and still am wearing my black Klipsch shirt and I was talking Klipsch this and that, speaker placement, blah blah blah... They knew I was no rookie. 2.gif. Hands down, they agreed with me, it was not even close, not even up for debate, the RC7s were indeed the undisputed winner.

SO...... You guessed it. I ordered 3 new RC7s tonight. Will be about a week and a half before I get them.

I would be very interested to hear other's results if they took the time to do the same test as I did.

Mad Props to the RC7 design team. Take yourself out for a beer! You did a steller job with these the RC-7's. thumb.gif

• Like 1

I've been without a computer at home for a week, or I would have been in this thread sooner. I'm glad you figured out the right choice without me having to shove my opinion down your throat. It's simple man, you take two 8's over one 8. I ran RC-7s as mains for almost a year before getting the money to upgrade to the RF-7s. Two RC-7s with 200wpc will definitely bring down the house.

If you are going to have some of these sitting up, then you need to rotate the horns. Just take the screws out (Torx bit 20), turn the horns a quarter turn, and put the screws back in. The holes will still line up, so it's a 10 minute job.

• Like 1

Halla horken looya.

Finally someone who knows what I'm talking about here. 10.gif. I thought I was the only one who understood just how under appreciated the RC7 is.

A couple of folks have not hinted and or simply suggested rotating the horn. But what I still don't fully understand is, is what do you gain by doing this? What is the reasoning behind this? I'm not challenging the idea, I simply don't understand the reasoning behind it is all. 4.gif.

I'm very happy to know that there is at least 1 other person on this board that realized how good the RC7 is. I think a lot of people read "CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER" and think that, it's only good for a center channel. They see the woofer/horn/woofer design and think "oh no way can that be a tower". But I think what helps the RC7 is that it's not a BIG speaker, therefore (in my humble opinino) that is what makes it suitable for main, surround and any other kind of duty.It's a damn good speaker folks. Don't underestimate it. 2.gif.

Watch out we may be onto an RC7 revolution here. 9.gif

----------------

On 4/3/2004 9:33:07 PM m00n wrote:

But I think what helps the RC7 is that it's not a BIG speaker, therefore (in my humble opinino) that is what makes it suitable for main, surround and any other kind of duty.

----------------

And m00n please refresh my memory what it is going to take to mount them in your HT
2.gif

Hey Moon. Good choice on the RC-7. One advantage it has over the RB-75 is that by turning the speaker sideways, you have put the drivers into a d'appolito array. This array has been proven to provide better time alignment of frequencies and as a result better transient response by minimizing ceiling/floor reflections. It's a wonder more loudspeaker manufacturers aren't making speakers like this. Klipsch use to make a CF4 (?) that had the woofer tweeter woofer in a vertical array. But that has since been discontinued. Even bookshlef speakers benefit from having the midrange placed on top of the tweeter. This also achieves similar time alignment results.

post-6989-13819253702164_thumb.jpg