The Klipsch Forum Cornwall Crate - A Redux

As explained in another post in this section of the forum, it's time to get the "Klipsch Forum Cornwall Crate" out of mothballs, and back into action. You may be asking "What is this, and what can it do for me???"

It can get Cornwalls to your home, when you never before thought it possible.

The Story:

Many of you may recall the story of "The Crate". Forum member DeanG purchased a pair of Cornwalls from a west coast seller, and talked that seller into shipping them - which the seller was reluctant to do.

At issue was the pristine condition of the Cornwalls, and the seller's concern that the condition could not be maintained during shipping. To solve the problem, the seller constructed a custom crate made of sheet steel, cushioned on the inside, and mounted to a wooden pallet. It is perfect for the job, and near bulletproof.

Since Dean's purchase, it has made its way around the country, merrily carrying pairs of Cornwalls to and from forum members. I figured that it has logged 30,000 or so miles already. It has taken a shot from a forklift on one occasion - successfully protecting the beautiful 1968 Cornwalls that were inside:)

However, the wooden pallet began to deteriorate. It was in need of a rebuild. I kept the unit in a storage shed, having several planned weekends for rebuild ruined by heavy rain - and ultimately made inaccessible due to the plowed snow in front of the shed (nice neighbor for the plowjob, but not so good for the crate - or those of you who might have needed it). I plan to install the new pallet this Sunday (barring rain - I've tried on two occasions this month already), and wish to put it back into service.

Here's where you, the forum members, come in. Need Cornwalls, but none available locally?? This crate is the cure for Cornwall-lessness.

The preferred method of shipping is a company called Forward Air, who offers "station to station" type shipping. Forward Air warehouses are generally near airports (although the only air they use is in the tires of thier trucks, as Dean told me). You must drop off the crate to a Forward Air station, and the receiver of the speakers must pick them up at a Forward Air terminal nearest them. NO HOME DELIVERY.

The benefit of using Forward Air is cost: Empty, I can ship the 100+ lb. crate for about $50. Loaded (320 lbs), it runs about $140-160. Door to door rates are 3 to 4 times the cost. Paying Yellow Freight for station to station service (that is, no "door-to-door") was still 2 1/2 times Forward Air rates, on average.

If you are looking to buy Cornwalls, and none are available locally, this is the ticket.

It is my desire to keep this crate "in the family" - that is, for use among forum members. I do not wish to see it get lost, thrown out, etc. - it is so well made, it begs to be used again and again.

This presents a problem: We need a member of this forum (preferably conveniently located to a Forward Air terminal) who can be "curator" for the vault. I would do this, but my problem is this: I am three hours away from a Forward Air terminal, and my terminal is only open to accept shipments on weekdays (tough to get there with my work schedule). Ideally, this "curator" can store it until someone on the forum needs it, and can then ship it out on reasonably short notice. For that reason, the "curator" would have a van or truck to haul it back and forth to Forward Air when needed. Maybe we could rotate this "job", as well as the users of the vault (recipients of Cornwalls via the Vault) be the "curator" until it is needed next time (this saves on shipping too - less "empty trips").

When I came into possession of this crate (courtesy of Dean), I promised to do my best to "keep it in the family". I became the curator of sorts after its last use (Lucky Leeroy, I think). Therefore, I wish to keep a good thing going!

Cool, I had wondered what had become of the infamous Cornwall crate I think my brother in law Gilbert was the last one to use it to get his '68 Vertical Cornwalls delivered in it. Nice to see that it will be put back into service for forum members. Thanks for doing this!

That crate is a marvel of engineering! True, though, the storage issue is its downside. The other day I was at Forward Air's website, and I saw that they now have mini-containers for customers to use. Problem is, the smallest one is still WAY bigger than a pair of Cornwalls, so you'd have to protectively wrap them, and strap them inside these boxes. It might be a good idea for someone shipping Klipschorns, though. I cannot find that info now on Forward Air's site, though...

Too bad we couldn't get Forward Air to store it!

can you post some pictures of this and the dimensions. i have a full size pick up with a cap that is as high as the cab roof with a opening of 36" high. and 4 feet wide between the wheel wells. after seeing pictures of those decorator cornwalls on here i gotta have a set. live in cincy, ohio forward air is all over this state. anyone selling email or pm me.

I work about a half hour from the Buffalo site, and live about an hour from the Rochester site. I've got a truck, and if I can be of any help to a member without a proper vehicle, feel free to email me. Storage is problematic, but I could help on a relatively short-term basis between trips.

I think my brother in law Gilbert posted some photos when he got his '68 Cornwalls. It is a big mother, I don't think it will fit in an Explorer or Expedition for that matter. I also do not think it will fit in a pickup bed with a cap on it. I think you need an open bed pickup to transport it based on my recollection of its size. I did a search on the forum but could not find the post.

The crate dimensions (with the original skid) are:

Length = 47.25 inches

Width = 40.00 inches

Height = 32.75 inches

I do not anticipate any difference with the new pallet installed - they are essentially the same size.

DeanG posted pics of this when it was in his possession - I do not have any - nor do I have a digital camera (still7.gif )

I have hauled it in a Toyota mini pickup without a cap (Tacoma - no problem fitting between the wheel wells) as well as a Ford Windstar minivan - had to pull the back seat row (but not the center seat row) out.

It is also my opinion that capped pickups won't work, although an unusually large opening may allow the crate to fit through. Measure the opening to be sure.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 9:10:12 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

Length = 47.25 inches

Width = 40.00 inches

Height = 32.75 inches

I do not anticipate any difference with the new pallet installed - they are essentially the same size.

DeanG posted pics of this when it was in his possession - I do not have any - nor do I have a digital camera (still7.gif )

I have hauled it in a Toyota mini pickup without a cap (Tacoma - no problem fitting between the wheel wells) as well as a Ford Windstar minivan - had to pull the back seat row (but not the center seat row) out.

It is also my opinion that capped pickups won't work, although an unusually large opening may allow the crate to fit through. Measure the opening to be sure.

----------------

standard pickup 48" wide 96" long between the wheel wells and 36" high cap opening. this will fit in a pickup with a cap.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 9:10:12 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

Length = 47.25 inches

Width = 40.00 inches

Height = 32.75 inches

----------------

standard pickup 48" wide 96" long between the wheel wells and 36" high cap opening. this will fit in a pickup with a cap.