CD player "super spikes" dampening feet: wow!

Shock-Late

Bought a set of four "Super Spikes" feet for electronics. Installed them under my Kenwood DP7090 CD player... and WOW the result is simply amazing! less harsh, tighter and deeper bass, better imaging... and the more you turn the volume up, the more you hear the difference.

And believe me people, with the kind of acoustic energy coming from our beloved big Klipsch, vibration dampening stuff is not a gizmo!!

fantastic stuff, really. I'll buy a set for my amp soon.

Sorry Shock-Late , I just had to do it! I like soft rubber dampers under my CD. I.m going to add some asphalt damping material inside the case. And yes, I did do thet to the large top and bottom of the wood case on the Blueberry and the bottom of the Jolida.

Rick

You think I'm joking, don't you? Didn't you know that those protective discs can reduce the cone's ability to dampen vibrations as much as 50% with some components? Just as important as what your cones are made of...solid brass being the most dense (like some people I know...14.gif)!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna place all my gear on 3" thick hardwood maple isolation platforms because it has punchier bass control than my walnut cabinet, along with some magic amber and opal gemstones strategically placed in a circle on top of my components...I'm not gonna detect any frequency robbing vibrations in my music when I get through with it!9.gif

To a point, tb. I do have brass cones underneath my CD player and tube preamp (and eventually will for my 300B SET amp when it arrives). But for the life of me, my ears do not detect any real difference with the cones, or if I had kept the plastic/rubber feet in place. Golden ears I do not possess!

Hey...if you were serious I side with you.. I have been thinking about something like that stuff but the moment you mention any tweak in this forum...you get slammed. I posted something about a month or so ago I think, and I don't believe anyone was helpful.

Your brass cones may or may not be doing much in your system. It's all realitive to your environment and what your equipment is already resting on.

For the most part, you do not have to have "golden ears" to deterine if a particular tweek is worthwile for you or not. I've tried serveral in my setup with some being more positive in effect than others. The point is to try, tweak and learn what works best in your setup.

A lot depends on the listener. For some, they may crank their Lascala or whatever and be completely content with the dynamic impact the speaker has. As long as it's powerful, clean, and loud may be enough for some.

Component isolation does indeed work, to variying degrees. There should not be any argument at all about this, except here, in the Klipsch 2-channel forum.

- tb

"As long as it's powerful, clean, and loud -- may be enough for some."

Well, that's the most important stuff.9.gif

Which means good isolation from vibration becomes a priority. The cones look like a good solution -- I just think they're goofy looking. I still like the vibrapods, or anything that uses the goopy rubber. I also use a large Deflex pad, which I have laying across the top of my 9000es.

http://www.tricell-ent.com/BDR.htm

These are what i use , they work fine for " me " . Thats all i'm going to say on the topic.

Component " placement " is the largest factor in deteriming the need for isolation. Just because one person has no need for isolation does not mean another does not.

I use a mission isoplat under my DVD player due to it's proxcimity to my RT side k-horn. Without the isoplat the DVD player will skip as volume increases.So you isolate the component or you move it , end of story .

I use #8 1/2 rubber stoppers under my 299C. I mainly purchased them to raise the unit up for better circulation. I have sandstone coasters underneath the AR. I can't say if they made a difference, but levelling the platter like an obsessive-compulsive sure did. (I did both at the same time.)

jt1stcav,

I have heard of others putting those furniture leg cup thingys under the tennis balls to keep them in place. Of course you are in Fla. with little chance of an earthquake, but couldn't a bump (party etc.) cause the tennis balls to roll enough that the TT falls off?

BTW, I also use vibration isolation devices under most of my components.

edster00, my thoughts exactly. But my bro assured me that the turntable was quite stable without those furniture disks while inside his cadenza ('table sat inside on the bottom left shelf). Due to his temporary setup with his dual JBL center channel and amps in front of the cabinet, no one went near the cadenza anyway...even if someone did knock into it, I doubt the Technics would've rolled; it's a pretty tight fit inside (He since replaced all his amps and the cadenza with a new Aragon amp, amp stand, and audio rack, and the turntable's in his bedroom system now). Even with his dual DIY open-baffle dipole subwoofers (four 15" subs total), his 'table and SACD player never skipped a beat!

2003system.jpg

post-11084-13819253780896_thumb.jpg