ALKing with Hoggy

Deang

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little bit this, a little bit of that.

PK came up with the values for this particular parallel trap for the squawker in 1977: It's for the K-55-V only.

http://www.delphion.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US04237340__

"PWK designed this to lift the falling response of the K55V before slamming it off hard at 5Khz. Because of the non-coincidence of the mid-range and the tweeter, there are a series of dips and peaks on either side of the crossover point. Cutting the midrange off with a steep filter like this will reduce both the frequency spread and amplitude of these peaks... change the second 2µF to 6µF, and the choke is close enough (existing 245µH vs the specified new value of 236µH). This mod makes the response in the 4~7Khz region smoother. Also note the addition of the 128µF cap in parallel with the woofer. On the K/B/LS this fills in a dip in the 250~400hz region. This is only for type AA networks. Type AK/AB/AL already have this part...The parallel trap is only for K55V mids. E2 and B2 networks were used with the Hepner (later made by Klipsch) mid (K52,53,57,etc), and do not need the trap."

From one of Dennis' posts -- long ago.

Yes.

The value across the woofer can be varied quite a bit. You can use 100Hz, 128Hz, 136Hz, or 140Hz. The last two values really drop the impedance, that's why I told you to try 100uF.

According to Dennis, not only does changing the second 2uF to 6uF smooth out the response -- but it also leaves the top sounding more like the Type A -- at least, that's the impression I was left with.

What I find interesting is all the posts about how PK's favorite filter was the Type A, but as late as 1977 he was still tweaking away, and apparently laid the ground work for the later filters. Looks like he never quit doing everything he could to squeeze everything he could out of that bass horn.

One could even use a couple of electrolytics in that spot -- and they could be screwed right to the set screws in the terminal strips. Might take a whole 10 minutes to do it!

Guys,

Here's the computer analysis of the modified network Dean posted above. It's looking through the squawker filter.

The woofer filter is idnetical to the AB in the BElle.

The tweeter filter is similar to my type universal A replacement.

The squawker is the AA network plus the two new parts.

I will leave it up to you if it's a good thing or not!

Al K.

post-2934-13819253822226_thumb.gif

----------------

On 1/17/2005 3:23:38 PM D-MAN wrote:

Sheesh, guys, wouldn't it be better spent in upgrading the drivers instead? But that's probably a bit more spendy...

But I DO understand the concept of wanting to further hop-up the hot rod.

DM
2.gif

----------------

Of course I agree with D-Man here. Change the engine or build a new car.

Guys,

Several questions, in no particular order:

* The Litz inductors are mounted on their edge so that all three are at 90 degree angles to each other. They are also sitting perpendicular to each other. This is to prevent coupling betrween them. Heat is not an issue at all. Tow inductors will not coulle each other if the winding are at 90 degrres to each other and PRECISELY senter to center no matter how close they are to each other.

* My computer analysis program uses a technique called "ladder analysis". Its big limitation is that it only see one output at a time. I can display the complex impedance looking into the entire network at once though. In filter-eze it called "S11" and "S12".

* Yes, the source impedance is assumed to be .1 Ohms. This is why the reference level on the plot is a stupid number. Just ignore that!

* I will past up a few plots of the other networks and post them later.

Al K.

Craig,

You asked for it! 1.gif

Here's plots of the A, AA, AK-3, my universal type A, and my ES-Khorn extreme-slope networks.

Be very carefull to look at the scale factors. They are not all the same from one plot to the other. That information is to the right in the same color as the plot. Look for db / division and Ohms / division. The "Ref.", or reference line, is the very top line of the plot.

I did the AL also but forgot to past it in. It's just more of the same though.

AL K.

post-2934-13819253822756_thumb.gif

----------------

On 1/19/2005 8:30:20 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Craig,

You asked for it!
1.gif

Here's plots of the A, AA, AK-3, my universal type A, and my AS-Khonr extreme-slope networks.

Be very carefull to look at the scale factors. They are not all the same from one plot to the other. That information is to the right in the same color as the plot. Look for db / division and Ohms / division. The "Ref.", or reference line, is the very top line of the plot.

I did the AL also but forgot to past it in. It's just more of the same though.

AL K.

----------------

AL,

The attaches file comes up very small, can't read it.

Chris