ALKing with Hoggy

Deang

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean,

That AA mod really should not be called a "trap". That would be a configuration like the "P-trap". It would be an L and a C connected together and in sereis with the squawker. This is in the form of a lowpass filter. The parts selection gives a boot at one point becasue of an impedance mismatch. I don't know if that was intentional or not. That's why I will leave it up to you if it's a good thing or not!

Al K.

----------------

On 1/20/2005 9:20:42 AM paulieparrot wrote:

Can someone offer some commentary on what these graphs mean, in English?
----------------

I'll second that. If this was a perfect world what would the gragh look like. To me the type A and AA look the best.

Paul, I don't think math can be explained in English -- I'm serious. As soon as Al starts explaining something to me in English -- it just turns into math again!!

Craig, remember, Al is looking through the squawker. Since the A and AA don't have a cutoff, they stretch out --. Check out the ESN, where Al slams it off hard -- and weeeeeee.

Al, of course, not "a trap" -- I knew that, but I've had traps on the brain, and driving on very little sleep these days.

So Al, what does the "P-trap" look like from the computer (.1mh coil/3uf cap in parallel, wired in series between the positive terminal of the K-55-V and common)?

post-3205-13819253824646_thumb.gif

Dean,

Here's the "AA" with the "P Trap" included. It generates a big dip at 9.1 KHz. This is the point where the early K55V driver (with the puch-pin connections) comes back generating a sound that clashes with the tweeter. There is noting in the AA to stop it otherwise. The AA (and all the other netwroks ever used in the Heritage series) has nothing to stop it. They depend on the K55 driver pooping out naturally at 6000 Hz. Note that my "type A" attenuates 9 Khz by about 8 dB. The "P trap" and my ES netwroks nail it!

The trap is connected between tap 4 of the transformer and the + terminal of the K55. It's in sereis, not across the k55.

Al K.

post-2934-13819253825636_thumb.gif

Rick,

Yes, if you have the early K55V with the push-pin connections with the "A" netwrok the P-trap may help you. It will depend on if your particular K55 has the 9 KHz glitch or not. I don't think all of them have it.

Don,

All wire has inductance. If you wind it into the form of a coil the inductance is multiplied. The more wire the more inductance for a given coil. Finer wire also give more inductance, and more DCR too! If you have to ask what "inductance" is you need to go to the library and take out a book on basic electricity. It's hard to explain in a few words, but to oversimplify, it's the effect on the current through a wire casued by changes in the magnetic field casued by changes in the current itself. That effect is exactly opposite to the current that casued it. Thus the term "back EMF". The more inductance the more back EMF and the more the inductor opposes changes in current through it. A good example is the spark coil in and older automibile engine. The current through the coil is shut off abruptly when the points open. The magnetic filed collapses and causes a huge voltage that tries to keep that current flowing. Zap!

Al K.

Will the real "trap" please stand up?

From the archives:

"I think the P-trap config. you saw was a 0.25mH inductor (after the stepdown trans) in series with the squawker + with a 4 uF cap in parallel to the common."

"This crossover has no high cutoff for the mid. it depends on the acoustic response of the Atlas driver. It will die at 6k but most come back at 9k. This causes a harsh sound people think is caused by the horn. A simple trap will cure the problem . Parallel a .1 mh. coil and a 3mf. cap. Connect this combination in series with the + terminal of the mid driver" .

"Take one twisted cap/coil combo end, and connect with the + terminal of the squawker. Connect the other twisted end to the wire you first removed from the squawker + terminal."

Al's final note on this corresponds to the statement above.

Dean,

NO! The P trap drawing above is WRONG! That connection would pass 9 KHz only and reject everything else. It is SERIES resonent. You want PARALLEL resonance in sereis to reject 9 KHz and pass everything else!!

If you look at squawker filter in John's scematic, it is series resonant. The two parts are connected in sereis with the primary side of the transformer. They will pass the midrange only and reject everything else.

Resonance equals 1 /(2 * pi * sqrt(L * C))

40 uFd and .2 mHy = 1 /(6.28 * sqrt(0.2e-3 * 40e-12)) = 1779 Hz.

It should be resonant to geometric center of squawker passband:

sqrt(400 * 6000) = 1549 Hz. Close enough!

BTW: The ratio of L to C determines the bandwidth. There are an infinite number of L and C combinations that will resonate at 1779 Hz.

Al K.