ALKing with Hoggy

Deang

----------------

On 1/20/2005 3:31:34 PM DeanG wrote:

No. Probably a handgun or two. The VAC is staying for the time being. I'm sure after I try one of those $100 digital amps -- it'll be on Audiogon faster than you can say "zero and one".
----------------

Just as long as you have some chrome and gold paint you'll be all set 2.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

AL,

I am going to try the two Auricap 20's in place of the 39 + 1. I will use a 6.8 Auricap in the other spot. Shoudld I use a bypass (maybe a 0.1 mHy)?

A quick inductor question:

The Solen solid 2.4 mHy inductor is $19.14.

The Solen Litz 2.4 mHy inductor is $23.87.

Is it worth trying the Litz? Does the litz have to be mounted on its side to cool? (I am moiunting teh crossovers outside of the speaker so this will not be a problem).

I will also be custom fabricating the junctions out of brass. My other choices are stainless or aluminum. If necessary, I can get copper but it will be difficult. What is your reccomendation.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, you are looking at the right inductor, 2.4 mHy for the woofer, but you are using a thinner wire, 14 awg, than the recommended 12 awg. US price for Solen solid wire 12 awg from Solen is $31.59 each, while the 14 awg sells for $19.14.

Don

Chris, you are looking at the right inductor, 2.4 mHy for the woofer, but you are using a thinner wire, 14 awg, than the recommended 12 awg. US price for Solen solid wire 12 awg from Solen is $31.59 each, while the 14 awg sells for $19.14.

Don

This is an old thread. I built the ALK's using Solens and Hovlands. I constructed marble and brass bases for them.

You can see them in this thread (Second picture):

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/559171.aspx

Here are some more pics of them:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/541160.aspx

We are buying new furniture and these don't really work for me anymore, so they are for sale if anyone is interested. I may have to sell the false corners too. They will need to be modified to work with my Speakerlab bass bins. Tniff has first dibbs on the corners as he bought the Tigerwood K Horns.

Chris