Klipschorns: An Amazing Value

vinylfreak

Q-Man,

Everybody likes different things, has different things he listens for, different priorities, etc. The original poster had his say, and then others responded. It'd be crazy if we all ran out and bought Avantgardes just because someone says he likes them more than Klipschorns. Especially since a lot of people responding, including me, have heard Avantgardes and didn't like them.

I'd love to hear your altered Klipschorns some year. Nobody is telling you not to post; I personally find your posts among the most interesting and informative on the forum.

But if you look at this as a Klipsch forum, obviously most of the people here are going to be partial to Klipsch. It's not a requirement, but just an obvious leaning.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Q-Man----I don't have a beef with the fella's preference, Hell we've lots of discussions here about other horns than Klipsch and several respected members of this forum use other speakers.

It's just that with this particular poster something isn't quite Kosher, know what I mean?

What you have here is a failure to compare $7500 (retail) and $20,000 speakers, which is like comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus. It seemed to be the poster's intent to bash the Khorn even though the subject of the thread was that Khorns are a great "value." He simply overlooked the price difference. His critique included words like "resolving" and "sounded different" and his "palms got sweaty." (Really? If you get sweaty palms from listening to speakers, it is because you just paid $20K for speakers that sound comparable or worse than $7500 speakers, let alone $2500 used.) He deserves a trip to the virtual woodshed. And he still has, seemingly, spent $27,500 on speakers until he sells the Khorns, which will leave him having spent $25,000 on his Duos. Even if it is fiction, it is poorly written. This is one of the fun things about these forums. It is inappropriate to be "sensitive new-age guys" and accept his review.

Thanks, vinyl, for the entertainment.

Tom,

I am surely the last person to have particularly strong national feelings, but 'machine guns, torpedoes, insecticides?' 8.gif

I really thought the days when Germany was primarily connected in people's mind with WW II etc. were gone.

I should imagine that perhaps German tubes might be more appropriate around here 2.gif .

Wolfram

Well, I've been lurking around this forum for a while. This forum is very informative and good, however, I do notice that there are a large amount of people here who believe that the Khorn is the best speaker ever and do not even care to listen to the opinions of those few who dare post against the great Khorn. The Khorn is a great speaker, and a great value. However it is by no means the best speaker. I've had Khorns since the 1970s and I thought they were the best speaker period. However, a few years ago, I made a trip down to one of the new local "hi fi" stores in town and on display there were the Bose 901s for $20,000. Mind you, I thought the Klipschorns were the best speakers period, regardless of price. I wanted to listen to them just so I could assure myself that my Khorns blew them out of the water. Well, this audition definitely did not assure me. It scared me. During the entire audition, I was sweating. I was realizing the fact that the Bose 901s were resolving things my Khorns could not. The imaging was so wonderful and the soundstage was breathtaking. The bass was so real -- yet authorative. On my way back home, I could not stop thinking about that night. I went through all the possibilities, it had to be the room... maybe I was just mistaken. Maybe they just sounded "different" to me, that's why they seem like they sound better. Well anyway, I called them and asked them if I could bring my speakers and amp to compare. That same day, I brought all my audio equipment to the store. We took the Khorns into the room, placed them into the corners. Set them up and soon enough they were ready to go. I put in the cd I knew best and hit play. Wow. My Klipschorns were singing. They sounded so beautiful. I knew for sure that the Bose 901s were no match. After the fifteen minute song was over, we switched over to the Bose 901s -- using my same equipment. I was expecting them to sound dull. That was not the case. The Bose 901s made my Klipschorns sound like a TV speaker. I was shattered, I really was. I couldn't believe it. I switched back to the Khorn and it just sounded muddy, colored and, well, there was just no comparison. Surely there was something wrong with the Khorns, I checked all the wiring, made sure everything was in phase. Everything was perfect. I couldn't understand what the problem was. The employee at the store knew what I was going through. He told me that he too had Klipschorns and believed they were the greatest thing, but he moved on to Bose 901s as well. Anyway, I purchased the Bose 901s and took a pair home. Set them up in the same rooms as my Khorns and well, they sounded even better in my house. And that was before they were broken in. The clarity was astounding. The imaging was wonderful. Everything was wonderful. I noticed no smearing in the vocals, nada. The advanced subwoofers of the Bose 901s blended in seamlessly with the horns. But still I was not happy. I couldn't accept the fact that there was a speaker better than the Klipschorn. I grew up thinking the Klipschorn was the greatest speaker ever. I mean, even my dad would tell me this when I was young. This belief turned out to be wrong, well, at least now. I have to give the Klipschorn credit though, it is a 60 year old design that holds it's against the most modern technology. Yes, the Bose 901s is a better speaker, but it doesn't quite sound $12,000 better. Considering the age and price, the Klipschorn is still an amazing speaker.

20k... Like Craig and I and other board members at the Lima Horn show last year learned... There are a LOT of great designs, and opinions to what sounds great in Audio. Did I like most of them? No. Were a few really cool... maybe in a different room for a different sound too. YES.

Would I trade them for my K horns.. Nope.

I, too, fell in love with K horns when I was 15. Something in a great recording sends goosbumps of "Wow, that is fantastic!!, up my spine when I hear them on K horns. Spyrogyra, Chicago, George Benson, Styx, REO, Funkadellics, Motown.... All kinds of styles and "fun" music too.

Has any other home speaker ever done that to me? Yes, the Avant Garde Duos. Would I trade them off for my K horns? No.

Look, we can at least semi agree... K horns are wonderful and they are... But Something to someone else may also sound just as good or as wonderful to them too. If we let our predjudices get past us and really listen. I felt the Mid and Highs on the Avants breathtaking, but the lows not as powerful as the K horns.. Balanced out with all three drivers I prefered the k horns to fill up a room with wonderful music. If I had a room like Artto with one or two chairs to just listen in a direct purposely built seat to listen to music.... Maybe I might like the Avants with a better sub or woofer combination.

All said... Klipschorns are, in fact, an amazing value!!

My van sounds amazing with the Duos in them. After having three sets of Klipschorns lost during thunderstorms(and they block the river view as well,) the switch to the Duos was also made easier by homeless people mistaking them for sousaphones ot tubas. Noone has yet tried to steal the Duos.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 1:18:37 PM Q-Man wrote:

I think some of you are being a little hard on him.

It makes me wonder if I should stop posting my stuff on this Forum. After all I don't use the Klipschorn tops on some of my Klipschorns any longer.

----------------

Q-Man: Definitely don't stop. In fact, I would like to see more of the mods that you have made. Have you completed your Khorn mod? If so, did you write a post about it (I may have missed it). I would love to read and see what the end results were and how you liked them.

Audible Nectar wrote:

"Can one find a speaker they like better than a Klipschorn??

Maybe.

Can one find a speaker they can afford that they like better than a Klipschorn?

Maybe - but not likely.

Can one find a speaker for $2000 per pair (price you can get used Klipschorns for), used or otherwise, that outperforms a Klipschorn??

NOT A CHANCE.

Insert "name of Heritage klipsch here", and it will be hard to beat them $$$$ for $$$$ when you look at what they sell for used.

NEWBIES.....WRITE IT DOWN.

Used Heritage - best speaker deal - period.

Then repeat it 100 times. Believe it.

Those who can afford the new ones, please consider them - and keep the Heritage of PWK in living rooms - forever."

Well said!

When I went shopping for used speakers in Seoul, the competition to my Chorus' were usually 2 to 4 times as expensive.