Harmon Kardon AVR7200

Hard 21

I know almost nothing about Receivers, but in reading about this one I'm practically drooling.

Is $839.67 a good price new? I will have a 5.1 RF7 setup and listen mostly to music but also enjoy hearing movies.

Is onecall.com a decent place to order from?

MSRP on that unit is $1999, I think it is going to be replaced with the 7300 at some time if I am not mistaken. Others can chime in. That is the thing about electronics these days alot of time the moment you walk out of the store the thing is already be replaced by another model. At that price I do not think you could go wrong.

I had the 7200 on my 7's for a week,WORST music I ever heard from any avr I ever owned.I am not alone but am more vocal about my experience because its assumed this must be a great avr and its far from it.It is very heavy and looks well built and thats all the good stuff there is to say about the 7200.On the onecall thing,if you don't like it too bad,it would cost you $100 IF they would even let you return it,just my well informed opinion.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 3:18:26 PM Fish wrote:

I had the 7200 on my 7's for a week,WORST music I ever heard from any avr I ever owned.

----------------

How did you like it for home theater? What was it about music you did not like? Just curious cause I think it's a great sounding receiver.

m00n,for HT only it would be acceptable,not great but it would do at $800.But for 2 ch,dvda,sacd or 5.1 concerts,pretty much any music it was terrible.The only music that was not terrible was Micheal Mcdonalds Motown which is a new and very good recording(sacd)and even this was just ok.When you listen to 2ch rock music the congested highs,cymbals etc. are really bad,you won't need a golden ear to hear it.Of course these are only my opinions but I can assure you they are shared by some others.Last but not least,I bought this unit w/high hopes and was almost cryin'when I realized it had to go,it looked so good inside.If this unit does the job for you I'm not sayin dump it,but when a question about this unit comes up I feel like I should give my unbias(given the fact I really wanted it) experience.

My harman is hair raising good on the heavier stuff. And let me tell you that is no small feet. I have tried many a receiver to tackle my heavier side they all came up short by meaning tinning not enough slam. All the other music sounds even better. It has a nice sweet sound not to warm not to cold. How do you like your porage? I have the Harman avr65 which has gotten good reviews for music playback. You might beable to pick one up used cheap. They don't make em anymore obviously. On the hometheater side I never owned a receiver that sounded bad there. You could always find the cheapest receiver with preouts then add used seperate amplifiers. But it sounds like a good deal with the harman your looking at. As long as it works, and that is a whole nother issue with harman.9.gif

WOW !

This was also the first time I heard the HK AVR 7200 trashed.

I conferred with someone who is knowlegeable, read the great postings here and just bought one from J&R World.

I just got it and it is setting 3 feet behind me in my office.

I also just ordered the Infocus x1 for $899 ($999 less $100.00 rebate).

I just need to smuggle them and the cornwalls I have stored at a friends

into my basement without my wife figuring it out.

- Lee

This was one of the receiver that I almost bought. Across the 3 forums I frequent owners and potential owners always talked as if it was the very best receiver around.

I have heard nothing but good of the 7200.

My first surround receiver was the Onkyo DS797. I thought it was the worst sounding box since my boom box in high school.

The person I sold it to loved the sound.

So I try not to discount anyones opinion, as long as its the same as mine.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 6:38:08 PM Vital wrote:

I think he had a lemon or something. Harman is a very musical receiver and is also very warm and smooth with Klipsch.

----------------

[/blockquote

You are partially correct,my first unit was DOA.Funny,I too thought the second one was a lemon until I talked too others with the same experiences.Sorry,didn't go to "BASH"the 7200,only answer an "I don't much about"thread,honestly as possible.Just so you don't think I'm anti HK,I have an HK 125 in my spare bedroom hooked to old polks and sounds pretty good.

Fish,

Don't apologize for telling it like you see it. (It came out a tad harsh, but no harm no foul.) I know whenever I'm scouring the web for information about something I'm going to buy, I actually look for the negative things that people have to say. To find out how great something is, all anyone has to do is read the ad copy. I look for complaints and see how many times the same ones show up and then determine how important those complaints are to me.

As for the Harman, I have no idea why this is the case, but I just can't get excited about their reeceivers. When I was looking (still am looking technically) I tried to like the 7200, but just never got excited about it. The exact opposite happened w/ the Marantz, though. I tried several times to talk myself out of that receiver, and I'm picking one up tomorrow. (13 hours 54 minutes...approximately...but who's counting.)

Bottom line is I agree w/ m00n, take your time and look around. There a lot of great receivers for ~$800, the Denon 2803, the Yamaha 1400 (2400 even if you can find a good deal), the Marantz 7400, etc. I saw a post on another forum today where a guy picked up a refurb 3803 for $499. So shop, look, and listen.

John

OK, I think I've changed my mind. I think I'm gonna get the R35 5.1 set up. I auditioned that system at an Audio Express near by and thought it was sufficient for my needs. They were using a 120 watt Yamaha Receiver and had a luxorious enclosed room. My question is: is this HK a great receiver for this R35 setup?

Moon:

OT - I took a look at your web site, and had to make a comment - OUTSTANDING WORK! I particularly liked your flooring, the tiered arrangement is very nice! Incidentally, my theater seats are EXACTLY the same as yours except for color - I pulled fifteen of these from a General Cinema that was closing down, in original blue and grey supports/bottoms. I have since restored four of them, having had them sandblasted and powder coated light grey, with all new hardware, recovered with a nice burgundy backing, and mounted to a piece of sturdy carpeted pine. They sit side-by-side in the center of my room, and are very comfortable, I love the cup holders, and company always enjoys seeing "real theater seats". I was happy to see someone else using these, a very nice touch!!

Popbumper