"What a goofball!" said Marie...

What kind of fool would take all the tubes out and carefully pack them in bubble wrap and put them into a secure cubby hole in the 3 inch thick foam rubber packing material? He would be better off leaving them in to take the pounding and fall out during shipment!

Rick

The whole thing is really funny!

I sat there scratching my head, totally stumped. Fortunately everything is working out fine, and the tubes were very well protected under the foam. I'm just glad the garbage hadn't been picked up yet! And again, my wife was watching with her arms folded, smiling at me out on the driveway, digging away to find the tubes.16.gif

I don't know what it is about the smell of vintage electronics, but I like it!

Erik

Rick,

Do you actually think that tubes don't take a pounding no matter whether there in the same box or in a completely separate box ? In my opinion smaller tubes are safer in the amp and packed around and on top of them with bubble wrap so they can not come out of there sockets with vintage pieces. This also saves in the chance the tube newbie doesn't insert the wrong tube in the entirely wrong spot in the amp or reverse the phase splitter position and throw off the AC balance. When shipping 25 to 30LB boxes and a separate 2LB tube box the larger boxes on the conveyer belt at the shippers beat the heck out of the tube box I have seen them beat so all 4 corners of the box are rounded. But I once found out the hard way that notes are required or some tube newbie's will not remove the amplifiers case and bubble wrap in there haste to hear there new piece of gear even though bubble wrap is clearly visible though the top venting the ensuing smoke can be a very unnerving event 6.gif but hey we all live and learn !

Eric,

Trust me we have all done something just as silly and I myself can gaurrantee I have done even worse !

Craig

I can feel the pain.

I worked for a guvmint contractor for a while, and we had a professor work for us while on his sabbatical. He shipped his pc from Portland, Oregon to Chattanoga, TN. When he unpacked it, the cpu with fan/heatsink had come out of the socket and bounced around inside the case. The MB was okay, but the pins on the cpu went every which way. After a half hour of straightening the pins, we plugged it back in and it worked fine. He was sweating big time for awhile, intil I got things back together.

Marvel

I bought my PAS3 from Kjohnshop who packed it very well. I powered it up wondering if it woud be quiet.It certainly was. Zip...Nada!

I opened it up and one of the tubes had decided to go touring 9.gif .

So even if the amp is well packed the tubes can come loose.

That PAS3 sings like a bird!

So. I've completely rewired the input and output connections, as well as all of those which needed redoing on the PCBs. Looks clean and neat, and I've found on online schematic with all voltage readings for the 12AX7s, the rectifier, the multi-section filter cap, etc. Thanks be to to Triode Electronics on-line schematics! I also put new silicon diodes in to bypass the original selenium rectifier, since whomever bridged it before only touched the end of the diode to the connection and soldered it -- no mechanical 'crimp.'

BTW: Another funny story yesterday morning: Guess who came walking into my workroom, gently holding a Sovtek 2A3 in his mouth? See the little prankster above my name? He was holding it like it was a feather -- like, "Hey dad, do you need this?" 5.gif umhhhh... I had left it next to one of the Moondogs when I was trying a couple of different tubes for noise only minutes before.

cute little fella!

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif now Erik, your dog must be very gentle and well trained - but of course also very naughty. Michael would simply ignore such a device (no food!)...but perhaps it was only a hint which 2A3 sounds best...after all our friends' hearing capacity is in a differnt league to ours 2.gif .

Wolfram

Hah! You must be right, Wolfram!1.gif

An update for PAS 3 (if anyone is interested...maybe this is all very boring!)16.gif

All voltages check out fine, but filaments are running a little high -- not too bad, though.

This may be of interest to any of you who have a PAS 2 or 3: The online manual I've been reading indicates that the preamp was designed to work best with amps sporting an input impedance of 470,000 ohms. That's pretty typical for lots of vintage amps. However, the manual indicates that provision needs to be made for using the preamp with amps that may have an input impedance mor in the range of 250K ohms. The way this 'provision' is carried out is really easy: There is a resistor across the outputs of the preamp that must be snipped out. Dynaco says bass frequency response will suffer if that resistor remains in place, and the unit is used with amps of lower input impedance.

----------------

On 4/10/2004 12:42:23 PM dubai2000 wrote:

..."now Erik, your dog must be very gentle and well trained - but of course also very naughty."

----------------

Also very smart to know better than to swallow it! Guess you'll never leave your tubes laying around...have to puppy-proof your work bench!4.gif

Actually there are a few 6SN7 lying on my living room table (nose high for Mike) but he is more into ripping papers (or once a video tape) when p....d off....which happened when was left alone at the wrong time....but again he might find 6SN7 not worth the effort....2.gif2.gif2.gif .

Wolfram