Khorns Misrepresented in eBay Ad

Frzninvt

Yea Dee, some people do this. Others will set the reserve and the BIN at the identical price. The one that makes me laugh are the sellers who have a hidden reserve, and then in the description they state what the reserve is. What's up with that? If you tell people what the reserve is, go ahead and make that value the opening bid, even though you will not get the lower bidders in play now.

I picked up the set of circa 1960 Khorns(no serial placards left) and '63 Cornwall from the shuttered movie theatre two days ago, and gave the eccentric owner $200 for the trio. My friend with the $50 grand stereo room came over to give them a listen with his artist wife, and they swapped two McIntosh MC30s and a little over a grand for the old decorator fir models. For the same price, this Ebay set could have been theirs.

The wife liked their "retro" look and was dying to get them, so the deal went down in under two minutes. I spent half the time gently suggesting a more modern pair with better looks would pop up any day, which husband thought would be a better deal, but wife refused to listen. Now she wants me to build a dropover cabinet so she has the louvered corner cabinet look, and so she can hang watercolor canvases on the front facade.

For two grand, this EBay set is looking pretty sweet. Someone will be able to score them without much hassle, and can pick up the glass tops for free. There isn't a big market for Khorn glass home plates2.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/14/2004 9:30:08 PM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

What do you guy's think about these Klipschorns? They sure look great, I like the custom smoked glass tops too. $2000 and reserve not met, I wonder what the reserve is? Dayton isn't too far from me, but is a long drive, I would probably have them shipped. Is the price too high for 83's? Are 83's a good year for the K-Horn?

-Ryan

----------------

Ryan, i live in cincinnati and if you want these you should go after them and get them. i will help you. cincinnati to PA is 4 hours. i paid 1850 in 1991 for my 84 k-horns in cherry oil 5 mins from my house. no shipping charges or damage. you don't want to have these shipped. rewalters54@hotmail.com Russ Walters

Bob, hit Kinshighway and head south - you have three to choose from2.gif The first is where I scored. For the Fox,The Patricians were there in 1980, when I last regularly climbed to the radio tower at the Continental with other floor members from our dorm to hang sheet signs on the radio tower. We never thought they would rehab the Fox, but we thought the same about the Tivoli as well. A couple guys wanted to destroy the big azz speakers, but for some reason we argued with them to show some respect.

The Carter carberateur factory was our ticket into the Continental, while we accessed the Fox through an alley coal chute. I can very vaguely remember a control room(Projection room?) that had two racks of dusty tube equipment and the old punch phone connection boards. If I had a time machine, I probably would be poping a cork to get those liberated, but Crown and Nakamichi were my loves in that era.

Is that north or south of 40?

I used to know one of the projectionists at the Fox when they were in the karate/soft core/blaxploitation films phase. There were several RCA amps in the projection booth. I don't remember much about them except they were immaculate, used "45" output tubes, and were original equipment with the theater. My friend was meticulous about all the equipement up there, (the amps, follow spots - Hall & Connelys you ran from the front - effects machine and projectors all looked brand new, even though some of them predated the building) so you may have come across amps in the recording studio or part of the house sound system.

Alas, after the theater was bought, a misguided part of the refurbishing was to replace the sound system. My friend told me he came into the booth one day and saw that the amplifiers had been ripped out of the rack and thrown in a heap on the floor. He turned around, closed the door and never went back.

I think I'll go somewhere and sulk now. H'mm Ted Drewes is a good place to sulk.2.gif

Heading south on Kingshighway from Southwest.

We did the same thing at KBIL, St. Louis U's radio station, in 1979. The only tube amp we didn't throw away was a stereo Lafayette that somehow still was working. If memory serves me, the SLU station was the oldest west of the Mississippi, and we had the old equipment all stashed in three rooms. When I saw your museum in your office, I shudder in agony thinking of the history we chucked in a 20 cubic yard dumpster14.gif

The city is still doing that by chucking a lot of the historical buildings downtown, is a rush to create more parking garages. Even though EBay has set an extremely high floor on historical Klipsch gear, it's nice that we aren't throwing valued speakers away as much as pre internet.

HI RYAN

HI IM THE GUY WHO OWNS THE K-HORN AND CORNWALLS YOUR TALKING ABOUT.

SURPRISE *+*+*

AND LET ME TELL YOU MY KLIPSCHORNS LOOK GREAT AND SOUND GREAT,

AND FROM EVERYBODY THAT HAS SEEN AND HEARD THEM,

I GET NOTHING BUT COMPLEMENTS ON MY SYSTEM.

ALSO YOU WOULDN'T GIVE NO MORE THAT $2,000.00 FOR THEM

THAT'S FUNNY,

THEY HAVE BEEN INSPECTED AND APPRAISED BY MY LOCAL KLIPSCH DEALER.

AND VALUED AT $3,900.00

I HOPE THAT THE PEOPLE ON THIS WEB SITE DON'T" TAKE YOU SERIOUS!!

I DON'T EXPECTED TO GET THAT MUCH FOR THEM.

AND IM NOT ASKING THAT MUCH EITHER.

BUT I CAN TELL YOU IF I DON'T GET WHAT IM ASKING

ILL JUST KEEP THEM.

IM NOT GOING TO GIVE THEM AWAY AT $2,000.00 OR $2,500.00

IV ALWAYS LOOKED AT THINGS IN THIS MANNER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

AND WHAT I HAVE IS WORTH MORE THAN $2,000.00

Ryan,

They look very nice, have the K55v solder terminal mids and K77ms with AA networks. I wouldn't bid more than the 2k though. 7 hrs isn't bad, especially if you have a friend who likes to drive! Leave at 0 dark thirty, drive for a couple, stop for breakfast, buy K-horns, have lunch, drive home for supper. After supper............

HI RYAN.

IM THE GUY WHO OWNS THE K-HORN AND CORNWALLS YOUR TALKING ABOUT.

SURPRISE *+*+*

AND LET ME TELL YOU MY KLIPSCHORNS LOOK GREAT AND SOUND GREAT,

AND FROM EVERYBODY THAT HAS SEEN AND HEARD THEM,

I GET NOTHING BUT COMPLEMENTS ON MY SYSTEM.

ALSO YOU WOULDN'T GIVE NO MORE THAT $2,000.00 FOR THEM

THAT'S FUNNY,

THEY HAVE BEEN INSPECTED AND APPRAISED BY MY LOCAL KLIPSCH DEALER.

AND VALUED AT $3,900.00

I HOPE THAT THE PEOPLE ON THIS WEB SITE DON'T" TAKE YOU SERIOUS!!

I DON'T EXPECTED TO GET THAT MUCH FOR THEM.

AND IM NOT ASKING THAT MUCH EITHER.

BUT I CAN TELL YOU IF I DON'T GET WHAT IM ASKING

ILL JUST KEEP THEM.

IM NOT GOING TO GIVE THEM AWAY AT $2,000.00 OR $2,500.00

IV ALWAYS LOOKED AT THINGS IN THIS MANNER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

AND WHAT I HAVE IS WORTH MORE THAN $2,000.00

Welcome to the forum Ledzepplin.

You have some really nice looking K-horns there. You are certainly within your rights to set your price at whatever amount you like. I think you will find, though, nearly unanimous opinion among members here that your K-horns are a bit overpriced. You never can tell about ebay though...

BTW, it is a generally accepted practice on line that using all caps is considered shouting. Perhaps you are! If not, please turn off your caps lock key. 1.gif

Good luck on your auction!

LedZep, You pulled the auction. I assumed you sold them outside ebay. No such luck? You'll be hard pressed to get $3000 around here for them. Welcome to the Klipsch forum. A magical place where a fellow paid $800 for a pair of Khorns last year. A place where nobody would buy a pair of mint 90ish Khorns, autographed by PWKlipsch himself for $2500!!!

Welcome to the forum Ledzepplin.

You have some really nice looking K-horns there. You are certainly within your rights to set your price at whatever amount you like. I think you will find, though, nearly unanimous opinion among members here that your K-horns are a bit overpriced. You never can tell about ebay though...

BTW, it is a generally accepted practice on line that using all caps is considered shouting. Perhaps you are! If not, please turn off your caps lock key.

Good luck on your auction!

Well I think for what I am asking and the condition there in,

My price is less than what the Klipsch dealer appraised them at.

They have been taken very good care of since new.

And if I don't get what IM asking ill just keep them.

Thanks

Tim, Ohio

2.gif

O. IV BEEN READING THE FORM FOR A LONG TIME.

I JUST DECIDED TO JOIN.

AND REPLY TO SOME OF THE COMMENTS I WAS READING.

Your comment on

Nobody would buy a pair of mint 90ish Khorns, autographed by PWKlipsch himself for $2500!!!

Come on I know your talking bull now,

If I found a pair I would.

Your talking to a long time Klipsch Fan and owner for the past 24 years.

Thanks

Tim, Ohio

1.gif

Tim, you have to be careful with "appraised value." If you are dealing with an honest value, then they certainly wouldn't mind buying the Khorns for $500 LESS than what they themselves said they were worth, selling them for true value, and pocketing the profit. An "appraised value" is normally for insurance purposes, which also can factor in the cost of obtaining another pair of equal value to your door. If they made an honest appraisal and you don't reach reserve, take them to the dealer and see if the appraised value is a real appraised value, or just a number they generated.

Out of curiosity, with what speakers are you replacing the Khorns?

----------------

On 4/18/2004 3:30:31 PM DeanG wrote:

"Nobody would buy a pair of mint 90ish Khorns, autographed by PWKlipsch himself for $2500!!!"

I think that seller wanted $3K, still, no bull -- they didn't move. Most Klipschters here are a bunch of cheap bastards.
9.gif

----------------

Dean, you think?9.gif