RF 7s as surrounds

Beetlejuice

I am thinking about getting a pair of RF 7s for left and right surrounds. Is there anyone using RF 7s as surrounds? If so what size is your room and where do you have them positioned. My room is 19'X 17' and the main seating position is 13 to 14 feet from the front wall. I enjoy music but this is maining for movies. Thx

It would be useful to know what you are using as front L/R and center. I have RF-7's up front. I really think that RF-7 rears would be overkill, and my room dimensions are not too different than yours. The money is probably better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

TheEar uses RF-7s as surrounds. He seems to love the sound they provide.

HornEd believes in the use of full sized monopole speakers for surrounds that are identical to your mains.

Both members are regular contributors. A search will give you lots of information, or wait until one or both gives their views.

Multi-channel music is mixed for 5 identical speakers in theory. If you have the room for it, nothing can beat 5 identical speakers for multi-channel music.

Worry more about WAF than the quality of the sound from RF-7s as surrounds.

Bill

I am no expert, but I think rs-7 would be good. I have the rs-3 II and they sound good for movies and such. For music probably rf would sound nicer but I primarly use my system for HT viewing. Many hear feel that you get a better match if you use the same fronts as rears and others feel the opposite. Maybe you could get both and hook both up and see which you prefer and return the other. I dont have the room for the rf for rears, so I never even thouht about it. I am curoius how my system sounds compared to other klipschers. I have a friend who brags about his bose cubes sound all the time...I would like to see how it sounds...And how much better mine are. It is amazing how many people are impressed or think bose are top-notch.

Good luck

There are some alternatives to going with RF7s as surrounds. You may want to give RB-75s a thought. Scott (Bruinsrme) and I recently went with RB-75s as surrounds with our Reference sevens, replacing RS speakers. With excellent results. As soon I get some more time on my new RB-75s, full review/report and photos to follow. Also, I believe MOON is currently making the switch from some RS7s to RC7s. RF7s all around sounds like a great idea, but there may be different ways to accomplish what you want.

Carl.

Thanks soundx for standing up for audio reality. RF-7's front and back provide the same potential "voice" (e.g., timbre) for the same sound recorded in a sound track. When that "same sound" migrates to another speaker... it ought to sound the same. It's not "overkill"... it's an approach to reality that not everyone can afford. That doesn't make it "bad" or economically "wasteful."

Of course, for movies, it is far more important to have an RF-7 in the front center position because that's where upwards of 75% of the total sound on a DVD movie will emanate. What this world needs is a factory option horizontal RF-7... and an enlightened customer base that can appreciate it.

RC-7's are a well put together alternative for your rear array... in fact, they are better in your rear array than they are as a front center IMHO. Three RF-7's in front and three (or four) RC-7's in the rear will make a startlingly awesome Home Theater. Add a worthy (121.5 dB @ 20 Hz) subwoofer array and you will be set to transport you and your guests into a whole new world of home theater ecstasy! -HornEd

Beetle:

I use RF-7s & RC-7 up front with RS-7 sides and RCW-5s for rears. I agree with m00n; I'd like to hear an RF-7 surround setup, too. The reason I am so curious is that the RS-7s in effect, are Di-Polar, which makes them more difficult for the ear to localize. I am wondering if using the Direct-Radiating RF-7s it would spoil the surround effect at all? The people at THX say that all speakers in your system should be identical. m00n uses 3 RF-7s up front.

EAR? Have you noticed any issues with surround localization in your setup?

HornEd: I second the vote for a horizontal RF-7!!!! 3.gif I'd buy one in a New York minute!!

-Picky 2.gif

I run an all Heritage HT, however if I was using the Reference Series 7 speakers I would use no less than RF-7's front and rear, with RB-75's or RC-7's as the side surrounds. I would probably use an RC-7 in the front but would obviously prefer the RF-7. Is it more than what is really necessary, perhaps, but you don't realize the difference that it makes having full size speakers in the rear. 2.gif

do it, do it i used to run reference, and as rears i first tried rs 3's and they sounded pitiful and weak, so i invested in a pair of of rf3's and walla therre it was, i noticed immediatly all the effects, and music, that was sent to the rear channels. i realized that by limiting the frequency range by using the more limited rs's i was cheating myself out of alot of ambience, i have read alot of bbers here using rf'7s as rears and they could not be happier, if your budget can afford it go for it, overkill, not eve close12.gif

----------------

On 4/15/2004 6:28:28 AM HornEd wrote:

Hmmmm, double post bust! Could it be that "tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>" has an itchy trigger paw?
2.gif
-HornEd

----------------

Whatta ya talkin' about? I'm like duh president . I don't make mistakeS. And beSiDes I did dat on purpose to maKe a point about surrounds. I just hit the RS-7 key when it was time to spray my question. he he he he 2.gif