Strange thing I noticed on RF-7

cdsang

I have seen this one line on the bottom of my center RF-7's horn thinking I wonder what happend. Last night I saw another line thinking, Ok, whats going on? Then I look more at it and the 2 lines I see are to perfectly done to be any mistake. Then I look more at it and see an upside Y. Sence I have 3, I checked all RF-7 horns. Looking at it again and noticed each side of the horn has a Y. Its kinda hard to see, but in the right light you might be able to see it. Does anyone here notice this? I have only seen this on my 7s, not my 3s

CD

----------------

On 4/15/2004 7:00:44 PM cdsang wrote:

I have seen this one line on the bottom of my center RF-7's horn thinking I wonder what happend. Last night I saw another line thinking, Ok, whats going on? Then I look more at it and the 2 lines I see are to perfectly done to be any mistake. Then I look more at it and see an upside Y. Sence I have 3, I checked all RF-7 horns. Looking at it again and noticed each side of the horn has a Y. Its kinda hard to see, but in the right light you might be able to see it. Does anyone here notice this? I have only seen this on my 7s, not my 3s

CD
----------------

You need to find yourself a girl, mate. 2.gif

John

yromj

You got that line off of a movie which that line was funny when I heard it. Well, even if I did take your advice it wouldn't work. I have girls that like me as a friend(as well as others who hate me)and nothing more that. But don't look at this as a bad thing as I have gotten use to the fact and feel fine. But I suppose I should live a bit more then just doing a job and enjoying my home theater when I get home. But just to let you know, the whole Y thing only took me 30 seconds. I just thought I would share it.

wrench_peddler

Thank you for your answer. I was wondering what it might be.

CD

CD:

I'll have to take a look at the horns on my 7's tonight when I get home from the office, but I am a plastics designer for a major auto company and I agree with wrenchpeddler that the marks sound a lot like simple mold marks to me. We, in plastics engineering, are always placing our own brand of "hieroglyphics" on our parts. It helps the machinists and molders identify single and multiple-piece molds and their orientation of assembly into the molding machine. I have not examined their construction but, I assume the horns are injection-molded in color (which eliminates the need for painting) out of some compound such as ABS or Mica-filled Polypropolene, etc. plastic using a one-shot process, such as wrenchpeddler smartly alluded to. Nice catch, wrench! The dulled finish found on the surface of the horns is refered to in the business as "stipple". There are various levels of stipple going from a barely-noticable stipple to very coarse. Stipple is usually acheicved by washing the metallic mold with very strong acid. The longer the acid is allowed to contact the metal, the more aggressive the stipple finish. -Some nickle-knowledge for you in the art of plastics molding.

-Picky 2.gif

The piece you speak of is not a remnant of the molding process it is meant to be there. It helps with the dispersion pattern of the tweeter. I have seen it used on a great number of tweeters, including the tweeter horns in my Cerwin Vega CS-18A automotive 6X9's with the exception that those have a bullet shaped diffuser in the center of the "Y" so to speak. Man you must be bored.

Listen to the speakers more...in lieu of looking at them...

HEHEHEHE

Yeah I just went and looked too.....very very faint....very very really there.....hehehe...man and I have a GF....jeeze go figure hehehe

CD,

I meant no harm. It's just the first thing I thought of when I read it. (Yes, I did get it from a movie, Pirates of the Carribean when Jack asks "Who makes all these swords?!" The reply, "I do....And I practice w/ them 3 hours every day." Earns the response, "You need to find yourself a girly, mate.")

I was getting pretty tired and maybe I shouldn't have posted it. Rest assured however, if I had RF-7s I would have pulled the grills off and looked for the lines, and upon finding them pondered the meaning of their existance. And I have a wife!

John