Solid State Amps Advice

dgb

I use a carver m400 for my scalas, i've heard so many stories of people having these and them catching on fire, i've had mine probably 20 years maybe, without any problems, i've made the thing shut off before, but no problems other than that :). The only complaint i have about it is that i get some major hissing at lower volumes, but when its turned up loud, you can't notice a thing. plus it stays super cool. i dunno if you can still buy them, but its been a great amp for me. the only other thing i've used with them was a pioneer reciver (don't know the model) and it just sounded like crap, i went right back to the caver/radioshack mixer setup. Still impresses me today.

Rob.

My System:

Alienware Area-51

Dual Intel Pentium 4 Processors @ 3.0 GHZ @ 800 MHZ FSB w/ 512KBX2 L2 Cache

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128 MB DDR RAM

Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum EX

1 GB DDR800 RAM

120 GB WD SE Caviar HDD w/ 8 MB Buffer

80 GB WD SE Caviar HDD w/ 8 MB Buffer

Plextor Plexwriter 48X24X48 CDRW

LITE-ON 4X4X4X2X40X24 DVD-+RW

Samsung 12X DVD-ROM

9 Total Case Fans

Klipsch Pro Media V2.400

very interesting "system"..... not much audio gear listed... let me guess ...you are into computers.....

2.gif

This is the same post I put under the title of amps.

I own 1 Monarachy Audio SM 70 running my center channel at 70 watts and 2 SM 70 Pros each 80 watts that were running my KLF 20s and it was a very good match! For home theater I used a Denon 4800 and the Monarchy amps blew away the internal Denon amps these are very good amps for home theater. For 2 channel I use a Luxman C300 preamp and and a NAD C540 CD player it also is a very good match. I paid $1400 for both SM 70 Pros bought directly from Monarchy Audio. For the price and performance you get from these amps it is a very good deal and I highly recommend these amps.

As of mid March I purchased a Cayin TA 30 integrated amp 35 watts push pull or you can pull out 2 tubes and run it SE at 4 watts. I just ran it with 2 tubes for the first time and I think I like it with 4 tubes better the bass is tighter and more defined and the midrange sounds fuller to me. I also finaly got my 2004 La Scalas at the beginging of April and I'm using the TA 30 to burn in the La Scalas. Since I live close to my neighbors I can not very often really crank it up so it will take some time for the LS to burn in. Once they have burned in I will do a comparision between the Cayin TA 30 and the 2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 pros 80 watts each. From the quality sound I had with the 2 SM 70 Pros with the KLF 20s they should match very good with the La Scalas.

The KLF 20s in a living room my size, 16X16X8, sound just as good as the La Scalas do. There are some factors behind that. First the La Scalas have not burned in yet and the 20s had to do the same thing back in 2001. The KLF 20s midrange and tweeter horns are at ear level and the LS mid and high horns are right below my chin and I did notice a difference in the soundstage, not a huge difference but a very slight one. I'm thinking about making some wooden lifts for the LS and then do the sand bag tweak that Colin recommended .

In a larger room say 20X25X10 the LS would have more room to work their magic but in small living room they can overpower very easy. Another thing about having La Scalas in a small living room is the midrange horn is very strong and in your face but by the time I turn the volume up to that point it is louder than I listen at!! That is one big difference between the KLF 20s and the LS. The midrange on the LS can be over powering on some songs when turning up the volume but on the 20s it sounded just right in my living room. Once the LS have burned in I'll do the comparision between the tube amp and the SS amp and which ever one is second will go to my bedroom set up. I'll make a post once the speakers burn in.

Xman

Edmund, jap engines are some of the most sought after European two stroke engines, with their most famous steed being the three wheeled Morgans of the '30s. Japanese engines are also nice, but not as good as the jap engines. A stock jap engine will run $10 to $15 grand in collector circles here.

I have 3 old Denon integrateds in the house. But they are of an inferior quality level of what you would like to acheive. They sound OK with my Chhorus IIs but only OK.

Monarchy

I second the recommendation on the Monarchy only due to the fact i have been reading posts from very credible people about them for 4 years and not one negative. I almost bought their upsampler until I found a sweet deal on the GW Labs.

B&K

I have heard several B&K amps over the past 3 years. Never with Klipsch though. I have heard them with Definitive and Monitor Audio. Very Impressive SS amplification.

I belive MARKSDAD from the forum has B&K; maybe he can chime in.

B&K or Monarchy or 70's vintage class "A" are all sound options to pursue.

If you want a great amp on the cheap: NAD 320BEE.

I've used many amps, included class A amps from Musical Fidelity, high-end early 80 technics pre-power, revox, marantz, all considerably more expensive than this NAD amp (actually the only one i bought new) and IMHO the little NAD is the best i'e owned so far, for all types of music, with my La Scalas.

Most folks in the U.S. have heard the term "jap" when referring to the Japanese so much since the days of WWII, they sometimes forget that it is considered a derogatory term by the Japanese people. We must keep in mind that this is an internet forum (ie., international) and try to refrain from usage of these types of terms. I am sure there was no INTENT by the user for this to be derogatory, just a reminder.

As for the J.A.P. engines by James A. Prestwick, they are indeed classics. His proprietary engines were used by many makers of vehicles, mostly motorcycle manufacturers, and were considered some of the absolute best engines of their type in their day. They were products of true craftsmen who paid meticulous attention to what they were doing. Those V-twin engines graced the MAJORITY of the famous Brough Superior motorcycles (with some of the SS80 models having Matchless V-twins), which many considered to be the Rolls Royce of the two-wheeled world in their day.

I know of the 4-stroke J.A.P. V-twin engines, and I knew the majority of the three-wheeled Morgans used J.A.P. V-twins (SOME were outfitted with Matchless V-twins), but I did NOT know that the engines on those Morgans were 2-stroke engines instead of 4-stroke engines.

Hi,

Some thing to be wary of.....

Some Forte (models 4-7) and Threshold (T-series) amps cannot be repaired (if the output stage dies) since the output devices (Toshiba IGBTs) cannot be had any more. I confirmed this with the folks at the Threshold Service company.

The older Threshold stuff (S-series) and the Forte (1,3) can be fixed. Go figure! Both sound great!

Jeff

Actually it meant I was too lazy to type Japanese.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

----------------

On 4/24/2004 5:48:07 AM jazman wrote:

"Well, I can appreciate both little jap engines "

I'm sure you meant "engines made in Japan".

Klipsch out.

----------------

Thanks, that's good to know.

I'm not sure if Ebay is a blessing or a curse. So many options, so many distractions (8 Dragons up for auction!)and so many nebulous descriptions of functionality.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 12:00:54 PM Lurch wrote:

Hi,

Some thing to be wary of.....

Some Forte (models 4-7) and Threshold (T-series) amps cannot be repaired (if the output stage dies) since the output devices (Toshiba IGBTs) cannot be had any more. I confirmed this with the folks at the Threshold Service company.

The older Threshold stuff (S-series) and the Forte (1,3) can be fixed. Go figure! Both sound great!

Jeff

----------------

OK, I'm thinking of going with a Carver CT-3 and Nakamichi PA-5. I like the sound of my system right now, just needs a little tweaking. Any serious drawbacks of these units? Anyone have working knowledge of either. CT-3 has good feedback, mostly, but not too many people give bad feedback for their own units. ;)

I guess I should have said conversation levels, instead of normal levels, although most of my music listening is at normal levels, still I would love to see your recommendation Ray for a overbuilt, overly powerful amplifier for my classic Klipsch corner Khorns.3.gif

Well, if anyone cares, I kind of chickened out and went with what I know. Nakamichi TA-4A receiver. Mint condition at $400. Pretty decent price. The equivalent Nak seperates (PA-5, CA-5, ST-5) would be about $1000. Anyhow, thanks for the advice everyone.