sub with excellent 20 hz performance

jfmacken

i just went to buy a 25-31PC+ from a fellow forum member to replace my newly bought 22-31PCi... sorry SVS (TOM) but i will have to return the PCi. but anyway, back to my story... this guy has the PB2+, and i had him play it... WOW!

you will NOT be disappointed - Morpheus' knee in Matrix Original was so powerful.. i felt it in my chest! WOW!!

I've done tests down to 10 Hz (just my own little ear tests). Below 20 it's mostly felt and not heard, but I can see why someone may think it puts out more under 20 Hz. I'm sure true SPL below that suffers a bit but around those frequencies are when things around the house start to fall off the walls. Perhaps these resonating tendencies factored in to the review.

Mine is powerfully felt down to 11 Hz, but not below.16.gif

Yep, and I live in an apartment complex not far off campus- and I am sure that the neighbors will not much appreciate all of the obnoxiously low sounds coming from my room. BUT- as long as they don't know I have a sub- they won't be able to tell exactly where it is coming from:)mwahaha! I most likely will set the pb2+ to the 16hz filter, which has decreased output but extended frequency response. I am sure even at that setting it should be more than enough juice. And the cool thing is- if I want a little more bass for a party, I can just pull out the port plugs and set it to 25 hz subsonic filter and have some thumpin party bass. Did I forget to mention this thing should be 100% party proof? I will be commanding the commencement festivities this year;)

Even though cylinders take less room, I find box subs easier to blend into the decor... even when it's a huge black box. The PB2+ is an excellent performance value but definitely doesn't have the RSW12's cute WAF. Better off buying it now, than after you've moved in with someone who will second-guess you sanity. 4.gif

As for the weight... even if we ignore the hardware in either sub, the SVS is 2-1/2 times the internal volume of the RSW... so it jives. My sub is approximately the same size and weighs just a hair under 120lbs without the amp but including the driver. Remember that experimenting with placement isn't very easy with that weight.

Congratulations...

Rob

Fortunately, I have a very accepting wife. She must have had some sort of lapse in judgement the day I said we needed a PB1-ISD, then the PB2-ISD, then the PB2+ all in the same day. I don't know if she knew what all those numbers and letters meant, but to me they were pure joy.

Deep down she knows she loves it!!!9.gif

And she will love Mr. B4+. Oh yes...she will love it!11.gif

----------------

On 4/27/2004 2:00:38 PM jfmacken wrote:

Yep, and I live in an apartment complex not far off campus- and I am sure that the neighbors will not much appreciate all of the obnoxiously low sounds coming from my room. BUT- as long as they don't know I have a sub- they won't be able to tell exactly where it is coming from:)mwahaha!

----------------

Riiight...keep saying that buddy. I honestly hope that's true for you, but it sure wasn't for me. Apartments and subwoofers don't mix, that's a fact. On the bright side, I'm moving out of my townhouse this Friday and into a free-standing house!!

----------------

Did I forget to mention this thing should be 100% party proof? I will be commanding the commencement festivities this year;)

----------------

Trust me, nothing is 100% party proof 11.gif.

----------------

On 4/26/2004 10:49:33 PM TheEAR wrote:

A PB2-Plus hits hard at 11Hz...LOL

What a load of corn,no subwoofer hits hard at 11hz,there is no such thing as hitting hard at 11hz unless you have a dozen Tumults in a dipole configuration.And you are in a very small room.

Some people live by the hype they spit out

----------------

No subwoofer hits hard at 11 Hz???

Well, with the last SPL test I did with my sealed Tumult subwoofer, I saw that you dont need a dozen Tumults in a dipole configuration. My test showed a 112 dB at 12 Hz while the woofer almost got out of the enclosure! 11.gif This isn't 120 dB, but this is above reference level! 9.gif That high number for a single woofer is maybe due to the soft bass roll off (sealed enclosure). I wonder what I'd get with a vented Tumult...

Subwoofers & apartments are not necesarilly the best mix, but I am feeling lucky. You can get away with a lot of shannanigans and tomfoolery at UW-Madison:) In fact, bass is practically the #1 way for young folks such as myself to find house parties.3.gif

• 6 years later...

I keep hearing that a 20hz sound wave is over 50 feet long. So I often wonder what happens in a standard room which is significantly less than 50 feet long. Does this prevent the 20hz wave from being able to be reproduced? So basically, maybe it is not even possible to create a 20hz sound wave in a normal sized room?

I keep hearing that a 20hz sound wave is over 50 feet long. So I often wonder what happens in a standard room which is significantly less than 50 feet long. Does this prevent the 20hz wave from being able to be reproduced? So basically, maybe it is not even possible to create a 20hz sound wave in a normal sized room?

It depends, I built a custom made subwoofer that can do 120 db at 20 hertz. It really depends on where you are in relation to the subwoofer and room If you stand in one place you cannot hear or feel it, stand in another and you start to feel nauseaed. Walk down the dormroom hall >50 feet and your eyes start to blur