Would you rather have a Sony Projection TV or a Sony Wega FD Trinitron TV?

Kain

i am looking (literally) at the 43" hd ready sony projection tv we just got in. it's in the same room w/ the 16:9 xbr widescreens, and the 36 and 32" xbr 450's. the 32/36 looks a little better, but the 43 pic size is nice. for my recently aquired house (w/dedicated theater room) i am going to use either the hd ready 40" xbr 4:3 tv due out aug/nov or the 43"hd ready 4:3 we just got in. w/o seeing it, although the 43 is nice, i think the 40" tube hd xbr 4:3 is going to be a killer tv! my other 'video display' will be a 100" screen w/ inexpensive non hd-compatable lcd projector, which i tested out already, and I LOVE 'DA BIG PICTURE!! projector at night/hd tv during the day! gonna love it! avman.

HEY ED, wasn't refering to you as a "sucker"!

Everyone knows you are a "woofer"! My stupid comment was directed towards anyone stupid enough to buy upon others recommendation without,doing as you did,using their "own" eyes and ears.Now I'm going to do as boa recommends.I'm gonna "rock on" outta here!

Keith

Although I have always had an appriciation for the size of the projection tv picture, the quality was never up to par.... Until recently! I have always subscribed to the "There is no substitiute for cubic inches" therory in both muscle cars and televisions. In 1994 I sold 40 vacation days to buy a 32" NEC television, with a stunning picture. I wanted bigger but it was about the largest tube at the time, and the projection sets were awful. After that, walking through store's video sections and seeing big screens only confirmed my choice. That is until the HDTV rear projection sets began to appear. Yes, you cannot view it as well from sharp angles, and the picture might not be quite as clear as a tube. But, the thing you have to remember is, the picture is only as good as its source! If they did make a 60" tube tv, a lower resolution picture would also start coming apart when enlarged to that size. These new rear projections HDTV sets have the resolution for a bright crisp picture, the question is... What are you feeding it? I love my 4:3 Toshiba 61H70, give me a DVD with DTS or Dolby 5.1! (Yea, I need a progressive scan DVD!) I went to the movies yesterday with my family, my kids have been dying to see Final Fantasy. I'm spoiled now! I was disappointed in both the sound and picture quaity, cuz mine is better at home! Shoot, we can buy three DVDs for what it costs us to go to the theater. (I knew there was a good reason I love this HTS stuff!)

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

First of all you need to decide how large is too large for your room. A 60 T.V. is a very poor choice if your viewing distance is less than 15 feet. If it's 10 feet or less, definitely stick with the smaller picture of the Wega tube. Overpriced, but an excellant TV. If, however, you want and have the viewing area for a "Big Screen" then Sony is OK but they're certainly not the leader in RPTV. Give Hitachi's top of the line models a view. Regardless of price tay are incredible to say the least. The Ultravision 53" not only is the best in it's line, it is not the most expensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Sony. Just take the blinders off so you can at least consider other brands. Toshiba and the Panasonic Elite Series are also contenders in RPTV. Sony rules the tube market while Hitachi rules RPTV. It's that simple.

Good luck in your shopping and have fun.

Sorry T-T-K, I didn't take it all that personally, I just wasn't sure who the sucker was. Thanks for the clarification, with which I wholeheartedly agree! It's that "magic theater" between one's own ears and behind ones own eyes that should be the final motivation for writing a check.

It's cool to "Rock on out" as long as you will "Roll on in" (like the Boa in a loop?) real soon! cwm35.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-13-2001 at 06:32 AM

I agree with Stu. Check out Hitachi AND Mitsubishi.

Have no idea how much this one costs, but check it out!

Mitsubishi DLP TV

just found out... 12 grand! OUCH!

but, it's their flagship, and it's using the newest technology - DLP - Digital Light Processing and you can be on the web and watch hdtv side-by-side instead of PIP (or you can do PIP, too)

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

Wega's are great. Great as a little bedroom TV. for your theater, go BIG. Pioneer Elite is best, but $$$. Mitsu is best for the money, easily. Forget Sony and Hitachi. Hitachi makes a very bright seet if you don;t mind putting up with repairs...

Pioneer Elite is NOT the best

I have seen many of them. at 4 different stores.

And NO. they are NOT the best.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

I LOVE Circuit City's new ad:

"There are no televisions too big, just rooms too small."

as for the store itself, no comment...

well, ok, i'll comment - i'd rather cut myself all over with a razor then jump into a pool of rubbing alcohol than deal with them. Smile.gif

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

Well TVs are a topic that are pretty much like speakers I guess. We in here love Klipsch....hey that is our thing !!! However we have all heard Klipsch and know what to listent for. Well same thing with TVs......we can all sit here and say that Mitsu or Sony or someone is better but until we take ourselves down to anywhere other than Circuit City or Worse Buy it really doesn't matter. I personally like the Pioneer Elite hidef models that I saw at HIFIBuys (Tweeter for you guys up north) and I thought that pict blows away the Sonys. That is just what I saw though, perhaps someone else had a liking for this or that ???? I just know that research is half the fun of shopping for this stuff.......taking you fav DVDs into a store and also checking out what the sales guys have is a good place to start but as with speakers, let your senses sell you a component, not a reputation or a name.

But none the less never forget one thing

No Highs

No Lows

Must be Bose

------------------

This is my first Home Theater so kinda bare with me.

Speakers Klipsch Quintets

Reciever Sony DB-930

MiniDisc Sony MDS-JE510

LaserDisc Pioneer CLD-990

CD player Kenwood DP-R4430

Subwoofer Mirage FRX-15 300 watt

DVD RCA that needs to be upgraded and given to my Dad because he has a bose system and would not know the difference