Would you rather have a Sony Projection TV or a Sony Wega FD Trinitron TV?

Kain

I have done some reading up on this myself because I am looking to purchase a new TV within a year or two anyway. I am waiting to see what progress comes about with the HDTV and the standardization of digital in set recievers/tuners. Anyway. I prefer the wega due to the clearer picture since it is actually a tube set rather than projection. The drawback is they are now only as large as 36 inches in diameter 4:3 aspect ratio. Sony is supposed to be coming out with a

40 inch (?) 16:9 aspect ratio tube set. This is what I would like. It would offer greater size and clarity. The only drw back to the tube sets is the limitation in sixe and the weight of the set (very heavy). Compared to projection sets. - Check ou magaxines like Audio/Video review who has printed an artical on just this issue like back in May of this year.

Keith

I have a 36' Wega and its great. Except for possibly some of the HDTV sets, I have not seen any projection TV that is close. As well, I find most projection TV's hard to watch at an angle. I know there have been improvements here, but it still doesn't touch a tube.

As well, I my computer sits two rooms away, about 40 ft, at an angle from the Set, and it still looks plenty big and great.

I would consider waiting until the 16:9 aspect TV's come down a little.

The XBR's are pricey, but other than plasma sets and high end HDTV (the RCA HDTV can't touch it), I do not think there is anything out there better.

I dropped 3k for my 40" mitsu tube 5 years ago and have yet to see a better TV other than some of the new mitsu models. the picture is even better than my mom's 36" FD Wega (not an XBR), and definitely better than projection.

there are a few drawbacks to it, though, one being that it weighs over 350 pounds - not a great one for rearranging the den; you put it where it's gonna go and leave it.

also, since it is a tube, and the biggest tube out there, it is a very thick tv in that it's about twice as deep as a projection, so it takes up a lot of floor space.

yes, prices are way, way down, but HDTV's are still up there, so until they drop, too, I'm very happy with my tube set, and unless it craps out, I'll never get rid of it. and there's nothing like medal of honor II on a 40" tube! Smile.gif

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

One important point to mention - scan lines.

I never noticed them on my 36" Proscan tube. Then I got the KP53XBR300 with DRC (Sony's proprietary line doubler.) Night and day. Now, the Proscan picture looks feeble in comparison, especially when watching DVD's. And it used to be the "end all be all" as far as I was concerned.

Pretty much all HD-ready RPTVs and Tubes have some form of line doubler to eliminate the scan lines. Definitely a must have if you watch a lot of DVDs.

Good luck shopping!

well im talking from experience here people because I had the 45" mitsu. I now have the 36" Wega. The Wega is much better. The colors are brilliant and the tube is bright and with very high resolution. The 45" mitsu I had was nice too but was straining my eyes not too mention you have to be right in front of it or you start to lose the picture quality. the 45" was great for movies but terrible for regular tv as well.

Sony Wega 36" flat screen

Harman Kardon AVR 65

Sony S360 DVD player

Sony Hi-Fi VHS player

Klipsch KG 5.2 main

Klipsch KG C-7 center

Klipsch KG 2.2 rear's

montigue, i'm assuming your mitsu 45" was a projection, not tube, right, since 40" is as big as they went with tubes?

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

DirecTV

I'll take the size of the 65" RPHD Mitsu with its 9" inch guns fed by a progressive scan DVD player... in a room that's set up for a projection TV. 65" also works well for better placement of the front speaker array. Also like the 16:9 ratio. I like Wega's clarity in the music room... but a sizable RPHD works better in the Home Theater.cwm4.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 03:55 PM

horned,

if your mitsu is the same as the one i saw here in a store a few months ago, then you definitely have an incredible tv! the new mitsu projection tv's are unbelievable!

speaking of line doublers/quadruplers...

anyone on here have front projection, i.e., runco projector or anything?

what about runco's own projection tv's with built-in line doublers? 6k and up...

yeah, baby, yeah!

one day....

------------------

DirecTV

yes it was a projection tv. I have to admit that the projection's have gotten a lot better than what they used to be but once agin I have to say that they just don't have the picture quality of the Wega's. For me picture quality is more inportant than size.

Monty

Yeah, drewzter, that's the one. Since it is set up for 1080i, you can get great results if it is fed properly. Years ago I had a top of the line 4x3 projection Mitsu that was running LD's in front of my InfoMart showroom in Dallas. People used to get off the glass elevators and walk up to the screen... it was that sharp (also fed a special image diet!)... and this 65" Mitsu is sharper. But, alas, like many quality things it is not cheap... but its internal sound system sure is an expensive joke! cwm27.gif HornEd

Not sure who makes them.

But at Hill Crest, and a few other HI FI stores I have been to they have some NICE and Large screens.

Only seen 1 maby 2 of the Real big ones that I have been impressed with. alot of the smaller, thin ones, that hang on the wall.. are REALY REALY impressive. What are they? plasma?

But my favorite is the Rear Projectors, put up a nice white screen, and you got your self a great movie experiance.

To bad they are so damn expensive

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

I second that request, HornEd. Would love to see your system, especially with your newly converted center speaker.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil) Black Academy coming soon!! WOO HOO!!!

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

He's got some posted.

look in the 2 Channel audio section

forget which threads...

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

quote:

Originally posted by montigue:

yes it was a projection tv. I have to admit that the projection's have gotten a lot better than what they used to be but once agin I have to say that they just don't have the picture quality of the Wega's. For me picture quality is more inportant than size.

Monty

Monty, yes, picture quality is definitely more important than size.

Don't know how long ago you had your 45" projection, but if it was 4 or more years ago, they just plain sucked back then - very dark, very grainy, and like you said before, very hard on your eyes...

the WEGA blows those old ones away...

however, my 40" mitsu tube has an even better picture than the Wega that my mom has (granted, it's not an XBR - didn't know that the XBR had a line doubler, that would make tons of difference)...

when I was buying 5 years ago, there was no way I was going to get a projection because of the harm that video game systems can do to them. so i went with the largest (and best) tube in the world at that time. to this day i have no regrets about the 3k it cost - EXCEPT now mitsu is making HUGE projection tv's that rival the picture of my tube - that cost LESS...

I don't know if it's the same one that hornEd has or not, but the 65" mitsu that I saw in a store several months ago was the brightest, best contrast projection I've ever seen, and it was selling for $2600 or so...

the 9" guns are humongous, and they produce incredible quality...

I haven't seen any of the Runco projection TV's but, IF you're going for a size more than 40", these days you just can't beat the stuff that mitsu is making for the money - IMHO, of course.

I've never been impressed with Sony's projection sets.

The Wega tube has the direct view market beat...

but Mitsubishi's the way to go for projection.

Wouldn't you agree HornEd?

------------------

DirecTV

Ahh, yes, T-T-K we here you and, at least, shall seek the least possible capital outlay as we tickle our respective fancies.

Most of us seem to follow the "let the ears decide" on speakers rule. Well, for this HT system was built for my 93 year-old mother... failing eyes and still sharp ears included. So in the spirit of the "Ears Rule", I brought mom to several high end TV purveyors and had her pick which one she could see best... they were all there... and the Mitsu RPHD 1080i 65" is the one she picked first. Since she does not remember much a day or two later, the process was repeated a week later with the same result. Yeah, Keith, I am may be sucker but the one she picked wasn't the biggest or most expensive... and she is still smiling cwm17.gif long after she has forgotten how it got there.

This week is full of house guests that have just returned from a Princess cruise... it is amazing how their levels expectations have risen... no wonder I have taken to unwinding with more K-Forum posts. I'll try to get some new pics up by next week. But, lest your expectations be too high, remember the purpose of this system is not please the audiofile or dazzle the occulist... the purpose is to bring happiness and increased cognition to one very deserving little old mom. HornEd

PS: To get the max out of a 1080i set you need to feed it with a Progressive Scan DVD... like the one our friendly T-T-K covets.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-10-2001 at 01:03 PM