LAST CALL Arkansas Gathering - This Saturday - May 8th

Wow, where are all the fat people? I figured there would be new threads with pictures, comments and the like. What? Is everyone waiting for me to break the news to everyone?

We were having too much fun to do any serious listening -- but I don't recall hearing anything that didn't sound good. Basically, it's hard to screw up the sound of Klipsch using anything decent to drive them.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Colin is the perfect house guest---he snores louder than I do!!

A great time was had by all at Daddy Dee's. With the exception of young Stream, the rest of us were old farts who acted like they were much younger.

Having not owned vacuum tube audio equipment for 25+ years, it's interesting to see a trend to low power amplifiers.

Thanks to Trey for walking the fine line between being a company man and good ol' boy. I would guess he took back some things to think about product-wise.

Colin's description of my system is very generous. It's a work in progress. At several points during our hours-long listening session, he'd ask if the center channel Belle Klipsch was on. It wasn't. The imaging and focus of the sound field is that good. Part of that is due (I think) to ALK's Extreme Slope crossovers. Soon as I get it tweaked to my liking, I'll post the changes on "Odds and Mods".

I'd like to host the next Gathering (maybe this fall?) and take a trip to Hope to see the PWK museum. Hey Trey, how about Klipsch renting a Class A motorhome to take us all down together????

Lee

Lee

Dead link or attachment Colin.

I used "Since I've been Loving You" from the newly remastered Led Zeppelin III CD. Though the CD is generally well recorded, this particular cut -- even in vinyl form -- will definitely pin the ears back in a system that doesn't have everything together. The song starts with some good bass drum for low frequency transient evaluation, and a nice bluesy sound off of Page's Gibson -- that in a transparent system -- throws off some good air. Plant starts in the lower octaves, and by the time he gets to the end -- he sounds as if he has his testicles in a vice. I specifically chose this song because I knew it would drive the Heritage ears from the room -- and it did. Some brave souls remained, though I did turn it down some to spare them any further irritation.

The RF-7 doesn't do this with all recordings, but enough so to send one into perpetual gear change-outs looking for a fix. A great speaker, but like most speakers voiced with inexpensive capacitors -- it benefits from the use of higher quality capacitors using superior dielectrics. I think the RF-7s aquitted themselves well after the crossovers were replaced, and I was happy to see that though most might have preferred to be listening to the Klipschorns, found the sound engaging enough to roll with it.

I'm sure no one in this Heritage crowd is ready to go out and dump their big horns, but I do believe everyone clearly heard the advantages of using a superior dielectric -- which is what I really wanted.

With the Klipschorns, I actually preferred the sound of Bob Crites AAs over Al's Extreme Slope Networks. I thought the bass sounded "rubbery" with the latter. I noticed most of the difference in the bass. I suppose it would take a much more serious audition to come to any real, meaningful conclusions.

The Lessard 2A3 sounded very good, though it softened things up too much for my particular taste. I did throw on some extremely obnoxious Korn when most were out of the room, and drove the volume up to see what would happen. Things stayed "soft" and clean right to the top -- but things just never did bust loose in the way that I am accustomed too. Those hearing the QUADs know what I mean by that.

The Cayin is a steal at the asking price, and I can say the same for the Cambridge Audio unit. A great combination for around $1000.

Lee -- I played some cuts off of "Moving Pictures". We listened to "YYZ", an instrumental with wicked drums and transient information, and "Witchunt", with some good low bass information. Actually, the whole CD is good, and very well recorded.

I too would like to thank DaddyDee and Tony Reed for hosting the gathering. I enjoyed meeting and talking to everyone. Also would like to thank Trey for the photo CD he made for me at the meeting, he is an excellent Rep. for the Klipsch. I enjoyed a lot of the SACDs SSH brought and hope to swap a favorites list with him soon. I very much enjoyed talking with Arkytype and HDBRBuilder. Arkytype you should post more I found your comments interesting.

Kerry

Talk about a loaded question.

Debbie had a great time, and enjoyed watching all the boys play with their things...uh...well...something like that.

After I loaded up the crossovers, I set the volume control on the Cayin to where it was before, advanced the Cambridge Audio CD player to the same song, pushed play -- and promptly walked out of the room. I wanted everyone to be able listen unmolested, without me "hovering", and able to make comments without having to worry about my feelings. As the song started playing behind me, I immediately heard the difference (like I always do) -- and as I was passing through the dining room on my way out, I caught Debbie's eyes -- and received all the confirmation I needed.

As far as I know, I don't think anyone else is doing what I do with the Reference stuff -- so I guess I don't have any "competition".

I wasn't able to snag the Type A's I built from Johnny before I left, so there was no way to compare my boards with the Auricaps, etc. to Bob Crites' boards. I'm going to retrieve them this week and get them out to Craig ASAP. He'll have to let us know what he thinks after he listens.

I'm getting ready build some Type AAs for myself using the wonderfully "lossy" Jensen PIOs, and I'm sure Bob and Al are laughing their arses off. Hey, PK used this lossy stuff -- so why can't I? Since finding out the K55X is near identical to the K55V -- I can test out all of the variations myself.

Colin,

Actually, I think I was right in my prediction that nobody would change their minds. I was actually referring to the fact that if you liked Heritage, you'd stick with Heritage. (big ole horns) People in the tubes camp would remain there as well. There were one of two of us that liked solid state, those minds weren't changed either. I think it takes more than a few hours listening to change an opinion that's been in place for years.

Tony

You got that right, shoot, I think it takes months to really get a full appreciation of what something different than you're used too can do. I bought my Klipschorns at the beginning of year -- and I STILL don't feel totally settled in with them. I was telling Craig yesterday -- "there is a big difference between the sound of a plastic diaphragm and a titanium dome".

Dean,

Thanks for the info--I've got it on order as well as "2112". I preferred jazz and classical recordings during my formative years and never "got" the rock and roll genre. Nowadays, my musical tastes are a little more ecumenical and the Rush recording might start another row on my CD shelf!

For all you Heritage owners, Bob Crites pointed out that about half the K-77 tweeters he repairs have the magnet assembly installed backwards. That means the red and black terminals are reversed. Now, whether you can hear a polarity reveral at 5,000 Hz is a topic for another forum.

To check your K-77, get out your Boy Scout (or Girl Scout) compass and SLOWLY bring it near the rear of the tweeter. A properly assembled K-77 will attract the north seeking end of the needle. Don't get the compass too close as you might cause damage. If the K-77 attracts the south seeking end of the needle, just reverse the crossover network connection.

Lee

As far as the info about phasing in Arkytype's comment above, I must say that my findings about phasing is based on a very small sample of tweeters and may not hold up "in the wild". This also would only be a possibility in the K-77M (ceramic magnet) model since the alnico magnets would have been charged after assembly.

Bob Crites

Ditto on the more posts Arkytyping guy, BTW, your treatment to my head didnt cure the snoring, so you will have to hit me again!

Dean, I dont think you heard the Lassards separately, they were also plugged into that Marantz SACD and the Cary pre-amplifier, the whole thing was too soft, but it may NOT be just the Lassards, the Cayin with mods is more like $1K

I still have my Boy Scout compass, I use it to find my moral center; it swings right and I swing left!

3.gif

Bob Crites brought up some good points about why it seems the crossover network old can caps in the K-horns and LaScalas tend to deteriorate faster over time...in comparison to those in the Heresys and the Cornwalls. With the K-horns in corners with that open back exposing the crossovers to the elements...and if the corners are outside wall corners as opposed to interior wall corners...the cold and heat can transfer from the outside to the inside in those corners, which in addition to the exposure to temperature, you also have dust and such gathering up on the crossover components. In older homes, the outside walls got the old black celotex teatment, but the corners got plywood instead...to reinforce the corners...which gives those outside corners much less insulation...allowing temperature extremes to invade through those corners. It made sense to me. With the LaScalas, so many of them have been used for stage purposes and outside partying over the years, they naturally would get exposed to temperature extremes...with the open back allowing for exposure to crud and dust. With the Heresy crossovers in a more-or-less sealed enclosure they are the best-protected...with the Cornwalls second to them in protection for the crossovers.

Both Bob's crossovers and Dean's crossovers are well-made...with attention to detail. Since Bob's are mounted on aromatic red cedar boards, I guess you could store your wool sweaters in the back of a K-horn with no worries about any moth-eaten damage to them! 9.gif