LAST CALL Arkansas Gathering - This Saturday - May 8th

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not very good pictures -- but at least they're pictures! Man, I must have saw four cameras going all day, which is why I never broke mine out.

I'm kicking myself for not lighting up that Hall with Andy's LaScalas and the QUADs. Man oh man, that would have been sweet.

Arkytype has Aztec 511B horns on his home music reproduction system, IB Slamming brought his, which we never hooked up, this was a real shame, because they make a dramatic improvement to the smooth and wide clarity of the big ole horns, the pic shows the back (on the left) with driver and the front (black) of the 511B on the rear deck of Slammins PT Cruiser

post-2689-1381925428064_thumb.jpg

Well...re: that pic of me sitting atop the oak LaScala...keep in mind that the tops were installed using only glue on miter joints...no reinforcing glue blocks at all along the inside of the miters along the side/top joints...no staples, no nails...just glue and wood....and it held up under my 185 pounds of body mass! Just another instance of proving that it is the glue that holds wood joinery, not the fasteners! 2.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2004 5:04:40 PM DeanG wrote:

Dead link or attachment Colin.

I used "Since I've been Loving You" from the newly remastered Led Zeppelin III CD. Though the CD is generally well recorded, this particular cut -- even in vinyl form -- will definitely pin the ears back in a system that doesn't have everything together. The song starts with some good bass drum for low frequency transient evaluation, and a nice bluesy sound off of Page's Gibson -- that in a transparent system -- throws off some good air. Plant starts in the lower octaves, and by the time he gets to the end -- he sounds as if he has his testicles in a vice. I specifically chose this song because I knew it would drive the Heritage ears from the room -- and it did. Some brave souls remained, though I did turn it down some to spare them any further irritation.

----------------

Are these new remastered CDs greatly superior to the original vinyl recordings? I thought the original Atlantic releases of Zeppelin to be some of the shoddiest, most abysmal sounding records ever sold. Great for showcasing a Close and Play, and that's about it. Dynamic compression, lifeless bass, hiss, ticks and pops, et al.

If the CD's remasters are now capable of testing a Klipsch, then they might be worth buying.

Colin,

We were listening to the JFLs with the pre at 60-70% volume. Dean may have increased it to listen, but it was at that volume when you asked me if you could listen some more, as I was unhooking it. Jesse had commented earlier about noise as I turned-up Pink Floyd, & it didn't register at the time. It wouldn't have changed any opinions, but the parameters might have been different. It is obvious to anyone who hears them, that 2A3s at 7 watts will not satisfy a K88/40 watt diet. When I want 100dbs, I usually go multi-channel with 150 ss watts, but it would be nice to have something like the 40 watt Quads for two.

Looks exactly like a group of amateur radio operators, could have just as easily been a hamfest....except not as many good-ole-boy trucker caps. OK, great pictures of the gear and the people listening, but how about some photos of the sound on its way to the ears.

I never realized how visually exciting audio could be. Someone needs to make a feature film inspired by the Arkansas gathering images.

C&S

Where is Andy Warhol when we need him?

----------------

On 5/11/2004 10:15:45 AM Colin wrote:

One of the definite hits of the get-together though, was when DaddyDees friend showed up in a sharp, little white Mustang GTO 350; everybody piled outside to see that one

----------------

Good thing there was a picture of this. I was trying to figure out what a Pontiac Mustang with a 350 was.

Thanks for all the pics Colin, and the details. I hope we see more.

One of the earlier pics with all the amps and wires all over the floor would have scared me out. Not the place for someone as clumsy as me. I would have tripped over something for sure.

----------------

On 5/12/2004 8:52:00 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

SO...where are all the pics Trey and the others took at the gathering? I shoulda brought my camera! LOL!
----------------

Andy, I cant seem to attach anything. I sent Trey a pix of the hubcap lunch, but he hasn't posted it.